FIU with intake, cat mod but NOT drilled exhaust? (Ivan-flashed) - Yamaha Star Stryker Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Odin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 65
Default FIU with intake, cat mod but NOT drilled exhaust? (Ivan-flashed)

Hi everyone !

Can't find the answer to my specific case, so don't hesitate to tell me if it's been covered already !

I'm slowly customizing my ride, but I have a question related to the "free" mods that I'm considering...

For now, my Stryker is stock, with Ivan's flash (and 240 tire).

I'm considering doing the drilling/back opening of my air box (half or full), OR going for a high flow intake (not decided yet, depends on finances).

I'm also considering to do the cat mod (to "free" a little the air going out), but CANNOT drill the end. Here policemen are not happy about modified or non-stock exhausts, and the fine can go from 300 to 3000 dollars, depending on their mood...
Doing only the (invisible) cat mod will get me through controls with less problems

NOW THE QUESTION:

We often see the general rule:
- drilled/aftermarker exhaust OR intake, no FIU needed
- drilled/aftermarket exhaust AND intake, need FIU.

With the Flash, new intake, and CAT mod but NO baffle drilling, do I need to get a FIU to get it work?
And if it works without, will I gain anything by going with one?
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 134
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Hi everyone !

Can't find the answer to my specific case, so don't hesitate to tell me if it's been covered already !

I'm slowly customizing my ride, but I have a question related to the "free" mods that I'm considering...

For now, my Stryker is stock, with Ivan's flash (and 240 tire).

I'm considering doing the drilling/back opening of my air box (half or full), OR going for a high flow intake (not decided yet, depends on finances).

I'm also considering to do the cat mod (to "free" a little the air going out), but CANNOT drill the end. Here policemen are not happy about modified or non-stock exhausts, and the fine can go from 300 to 3000 dollars, depending on their mood...
Doing only the (invisible) cat mod will get me through controls with less problems

NOW THE QUESTION:

We often see the general rule:
- drilled/aftermarker exhaust OR intake, no FIU needed
- drilled/aftermarket exhaust AND intake, need FIU.

With the Flash, new intake, and CAT mod but NO baffle drilling, do I need to get a FIU to get it work?
And if it works without, will I gain anything by going with one?
I don't think you need a fuel controller if you have Ivan's flash.
nurtaeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Member
 
preacherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kennywoods backyard
Posts: 173
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Hi everyone !

Can't find the answer to my specific case, so don't hesitate to tell me if it's been covered already !

I'm slowly customizing my ride, but I have a question related to the "free" mods that I'm considering...

For now, my Stryker is stock, with Ivan's flash (and 240 tire).

I'm considering doing the drilling/back opening of my air box (half or full), OR going for a high flow intake (not decided yet, depends on finances).

I'm also considering to do the cat mod (to "free" a little the air going out), but CANNOT drill the end. Here policemen are not happy about modified or non-stock exhausts, and the fine can go from 300 to 3000 dollars, depending on their mood...
Doing only the (invisible) cat mod will get me through controls with less problems

NOW THE QUESTION:

We often see the general rule:
- drilled/aftermarker exhaust OR intake, no FIU needed
- drilled/aftermarket exhaust AND intake, need FIU.

With the Flash, new intake, and CAT mod but NO baffle drilling, do I need to get a FIU to get it work?
And if it works without, will I gain anything by going with one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
I don't think you need a fuel controller if you have Ivan's flash.
Correct! you don't HAVE to have one, you will not hurt anything- But you CAN add one to accommodate the flash and that will give you a 100% custom tune. I honestly didn't notice any difference when I added the Fuel Controller with the flash. I believe you may only see it on a dyno or if you were on a track and was timed. If i were to do it again I'd stick with just the flash!
__________________



Commit your way to the Lord:trust in him, and he will act. (Psalms 37:5)
preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Portland
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
Correct! you don't HAVE to have one, you will not hurt anything- But you CAN add one to accommodate the flash and that will give you a 100% custom tune. I honestly didn't notice any difference when I added the Fuel Controller with the flash. I believe you may only see it on a dyno or if you were on a track and was timed. If i were to do it again I'd stick with just the flash!
Our bikes run lean already, from the factory. Adding air will make it run even leaner, here is where the fuel controller helps. It's not only the hp or speed that you should look for, it's also the proper mix needed to not ruin you engine. Just my $0.02
DanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Full Member
 
preacherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kennywoods backyard
Posts: 173
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
Our bikes run lean already, from the factory. Adding air will make it run even leaner, here is where the fuel controller helps. It's not only the hp or speed that you should look for, it's also the proper mix needed to not ruin you engine. Just my $0.02
I agree they run lean bro, but the flash will be more than enough for daily driving, just the disabling of fuel cutoff adds . Even Ivans will tell u it's not necessary.
__________________



Commit your way to the Lord:trust in him, and he will act. (Psalms 37:5)
preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
HERO Member
 
11Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Two Mules Saloon
Posts: 8,657
Garage
Default

Just do the Flash. Dont waste the money on a FIU.
__________________

Executive Member Chubb Hollow Rattlers MC
1970 Western Auto 3-1/2 hp Minibike
1974 Harley Davidson Z90
1978 Yamaha RD400
1990 Suzuki DR350
1975 Kawasaki H2 750
2011 Yamaha Stryker
11Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Odin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 65
Default

Ok, so, you all confirm that I will not "lose" anything noticable going for this setup with flash but not FIU?

Sorry to insist, but I did the flash a month ago, and I was like "wow, this is incredible", and then I went for a 240 tire, and I lost quite a bit of this "wow" feeling (slower accelerations, and I'm a huge fan of strong accelerations, not so much of top speed), when several people said that the loss was very minimal... The thing I fear is that the intake + exhaust mod would make me the same impression of losing this responsive engine I just got...
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
HERO Member
 
11Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Two Mules Saloon
Posts: 8,657
Garage
Default

do the 30T front pulley/
__________________

Executive Member Chubb Hollow Rattlers MC
1970 Western Auto 3-1/2 hp Minibike
1974 Harley Davidson Z90
1978 Yamaha RD400
1990 Suzuki DR350
1975 Kawasaki H2 750
2011 Yamaha Stryker
11Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Full Member
 
preacherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kennywoods backyard
Posts: 173
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Ok, so, you all confirm that I will not "lose" anything noticable going for this setup with flash but not FIU?

Sorry to insist, but I did the flash a month ago, and I was like "wow, this is incredible", and then I went for a 240 tire, and I lost quite a bit of this "wow" feeling (slower accelerations, and I'm a huge fan of strong accelerations, not so much of top speed), when several people said that the loss was very minimal... The thing I fear is that the intake + exhaust mod would make me the same impression of losing this responsive engine I just got...



Only thing I lost was most of the jerkiness, fuel cut off, and fan coming on after short rides.
__________________



Commit your way to the Lord:trust in him, and he will act. (Psalms 37:5)
preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Member
 
Odin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post



Only thing I lost was most of the jerkiness, fuel cut off, and fan coming on after short rides.
I wasn't talking about the flash, I was talking about the 240 that made me lose the flash's "wow factor".
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Star Stryker Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cat MOD kov68 Mods and Accessories 45 06-03-2017 12:57 PM
Ivan's flash for stock pipes and intake. Ray Nielsen My Questions 1 06-21-2016 07:45 AM
O2 sensor and Ivan's flash mod iHeart Stryker My Questions 3 01-30-2016 06:18 PM
02 Sensor Mod run with stock pipes w/drilled baffles? Silkentek Technical Discussion 4 07-15-2014 10:29 AM
Drilled exhaust CntryUSMC Mods and Accessories 11 04-19-2013 10:49 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL3
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum
YamahaStarStryker.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on YamahaStarStryker.com is generated by its users and YamahaStarStryker.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.