Yamaha Star Stryker banner

'choking' when idle and stutter issue

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  preacherman 
#1 ·
problem 1: 'chokes' when idling about 10seconds after cold start, see video:

you can hear a 'tsss' sound 2-3 seconds in. (happens also with air filter and housing removed)

problem 2: (related to problem 1?)
when riding in 2nd or 3rd gear, mostly when colder, low/mid-rpm (speed does not matter, but mostly around 3rd gear, 40mph), entire machine 'stutters', it feels like something is braking for 1 second and the entire bike shakes a bit(like a sudden drop in rpm) and it keeps going and repeats within 5 seconds. kicking into higher rpm resolves the issue. I am aware that stryker does not like low rpm, but I did not had this before.
could this be an issue with the cobra powerflo? I did clean the filter...
or maybe fi2000 ? I tried various settings, and run 5/5/4 (from 2/5/4), which maybe helped a bit.
wondering if 91gas could make it worse (reading that 87 is the way to go, which I will do)
or clutches?

any advice appreciated.

#2 ·
Check for loose wires at coils under fuel tank. A real Beatch to get to though. may have to raise tank a bit

#3 ·
That really sounds like a bad injector connection to me. (Gas cutting out) I would check both injector plugs make sure you hear the click when pushed all the way on, also check the connections to the fuel programmer again should click. Of course 11's suggestion above is a necessary step. Lastly if all this checks good and problem still exists, I would disconnect the fuel programmer completely and run bike stock (yes even with pipes and aftermarket intake ) take for a short ride. My guess is one of these will fix it. Then send your ECU to Ivan get the flash and sell the programmer to make up cost.

#4 ·
thank you guys for the tips. it indeed was some electrical issue. I lifted the tank and pushed the connections around, but also discovered that 1 negative cable was not connected to the battery, I must have forgot this when switching batteries. I have no idea what the cable was for, but it might have caused some of the electrical problem....
problem gone and machine runs great again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.