New Owner, lots of issues... - Yamaha Star Stryker Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: wyoming
Posts: 8
Default New Owner, lots of issues...

Hi all, I purchased a 2011 with 3400 miles on it a few months ago. I'm having difficulty in a lot of areas, plz help a little ol girl from Wyo 😁. I've been riding for 20+ years and this is my 4th bike, upgraded from a 2001 Shadow Spirit 750. I have the Strykers owners manual and service manual plus have used the search function on this site tirelessly, so the questions/problem I'm asking about I cannot find answers to here. Mods- pcs lowering links. Z1R seat 😡
1. The electric fan seems to run all the time. Riding in 70 degree weather, not a lot of in town stop and go, it was on almost constantly. No temp light tho.
Normal?

2. Clutch problems. It moves when starting in gear clutch in. When running trying to move it in gear with clutch in is hard, like it's dragging. Tried adjusting free play but both books are hella confusing. Are these things I should worry about? Can someone please tell me exactly step by step to adjust clutch?

3. The motor noise (tapping like a lifter tick, knocking) is extreme! Just did oil change with T6 hoping it would help. Nope. Do these bikes just make a lot of noise?

4. Uhg those gears! The lugging is so bad! Trying to figure it out...

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!
ScarBeg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hero Member
 
RustyJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 1,458
Garage
Default

I came from a 2002 Shadow Spirit and went to the Stryker as well.

1. my fan only comes on in extreme heat conditions. I am actually impressed with how cool this bike runs.
2. can't say that my bike moves forward with the clutch in. But when it's really cold out you can feel it lurch a bit. But that takes near freezing temps. The clutch is NOT as smooth as the Honda's was. The shifting, it is not a smooth shifting bike. The smoothest for me is my V-star 650, it's like butter. The Honda was next and then this is no comparison. Just something I've gotten used to as this bike is totally different than the Honda was.
3. Motor definitely is noisier than the Honda. It's another thing I've gotten used to. With the noise from the air from my intake and my exhaust, I don't notice it as much.
4. The Stryker loves the revs. It doesn't like to be lugged around. You'll find the bike will sound and ride better keeping your revs up a bit. Ride this bike harder than you did your Honda, it likes it!

I think it's hard when you are comparing to your old bike, and in this case the two are no where near similar in characteristics. Of all of the issues you've listed above, the only one I'd be checking out is the fan running. Have your engine temperature checked. If it's running at the correct operating, it may be the temperature sensor. If it is running hot, you may want to check your thermostat.
__________________
RustyJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 18
Default

What grade of T6 did you put in the bike.. I have a Vstar1300 and run Rotella 15w40.. lifter noise is reduced and clutch feel is better .

Sounds like you may need the clutch adjusted properly.. if you screw the fitting out it tightens the clutch.. screw it in at the handlebar it adds free play and you might not be getting enough pull.

The lugging is your used to shifting the 750 early.. try running the stryker up to 50mph in 3rd.. sounds like your shifting too soon.. I had the same issue coming from a shadow 750... the gears in the stryker are longer and you don't need to shift so soon.. in city riding you can ride in 2nd no harm in the rev range just louder.

Proper oil will help with the shifting. but it still has a clunk into first i find.

The stryker and Vstar share alot of things IE engine and trans.. electrical not so much or gearing for the drivebelt.
mrdub27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hero Member
 
preacherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kennywoods backyard
Posts: 676
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarBeg2001 View Post
Hi all, I purchased a 2011 with 3400 miles on it a few months ago. I'm having difficulty in a lot of areas, plz help a little ol girl from Wyo 😁. I've been riding for 20+ years and this is my 4th bike, upgraded from a 2001 Shadow Spirit 750. I have the Strykers owners manual and service manual plus have used the search function on this site tirelessly, so the questions/problem I'm asking about I cannot find answers to here. Mods- pcs lowering links. Z1R seat 😡
1. The electric fan seems to run all the time. Riding in 70 degree weather, not a lot of in town stop and go, it was on almost constantly. No temp light tho.
Normal?

2. Clutch problems. It moves when starting in gear clutch in. When running trying to move it in gear with clutch in is hard, like it's dragging. Tried adjusting free play but both books are hella confusing. Are these things I should worry about? Can someone please tell me exactly step by step to adjust clutch?

3. The motor noise (tapping like a lifter tick, knocking) is extreme! Just did oil change with T6 hoping it would help. Nope. Do these bikes just make a lot of noise?

4. Ugh those gears! The lugging is so bad! Trying to figure it out...

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

1. Coolant fan staying on all the time, is caused by either a bad relay or a false signal from ECU. The coolant sensor sends the signal to the ECU, which can send the signal to turn the fan on and/or operate the high temp light on the Speedo. Most likely is a bad coolant sensor IMO. Which is located under the tank in the thermostat housing. I guess the thermostat could be faulty also maybe not opening all the way but enough to keep the temp above the high temp limit.

2. Ahh the clutch. To adjust proper free play which sound like your classic issue, (even though you shouldn't be starting the bike in gear ever it just a safety thing for me) you should be able to fit a nickel in between the lever and the lever housing(the part were the lever rests) You should not feel the pull of the cable until your about that nickles with away. (hope not too confusing).

3. If your not use to a Yamaha motor then that tapping is normal. Even with loud pipes and air filter I can still notice the tapping sound especially when this county switches to "summer gas". It doesn't matter what grade of gas they all suck. My motor likes 87 octane the best mileage wise.

4. The gearing is high and as stated in previous posts keeps the rpms up don't shift so quickly. Also look into Ivan's ecu tune or known as the (flash). It does help with the lugging as well as the 30T front sprocket change. I love this combo.
__________________


For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead (James 2:26) ESV
preacherman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: wyoming
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdub27 View Post
What grade of T6 did you put in the bike.. I have a Vstar1300 and run Rotella 15w40.. lifter noise is reduced and clutch feel is better .

Sounds like you may need the clutch adjusted properly.. if you screw the fitting out it tightens the clutch.. screw it in at the handlebar it adds free play and you might not be getting enough pull.

The lugging is your used to shifting the 750 early.. try running the stryker up to 50mph in 3rd.. sounds like your shifting too soon.. I had the same issue coming from a shadow 750... the gears in the stryker are longer and you don't need to shift so soon.. in city riding you can ride in 2nd no harm in the rev range just louder.

Proper oil will help with the shifting. but it still has a clunk into first i find.

The stryker and Vstar share alot of things IE engine and trans.. electrical not so much or gearing for the drivebelt.
Hi, thanks for replying. I put 5w-40 in the bike. I messed with the clutch adjustment and first it caught right off the grip and I killed it lol. So I went the other way. What do you mean by pull?

So just got back from a ride and definitely need the cooling system checked. It's 68 and over cast, the fan was more on than off. I agree I need to learn how to shift this bike, seems to be getting better.

I am concerned and baffled with the motor noise, new development today... a rotating cricket sound up front somewhere
ScarBeg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: wyoming
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
1. Coolant fan staying on all the time, is caused by either a bad relay or a false signal from ECU. The coolant sensor sends the signal to the ECU, which can send the signal to turn the fan on and/or operate the high temp light on the Speedo. Most likely is a bad coolant sensor IMO. Which is located under the tank in the thermostat housing. I guess the thermostat could be faulty also maybe not opening all the way but enough to keep the temp above the high temp limit.

2. Ahh the clutch. To adjust proper free play which sound like your classic issue, (even though you shouldn't be starting the bike in gear ever it just a safety thing for me) you should be able to fit a nickel in between the lever and the lever housing(the part were the lever rests) You should not feel the pull of the cable until your about that nickles with away. (hope not too confusing).

3. If your not use to a Yamaha motor then that tapping is normal. Even with loud pipes and air filter I can still notice the tapping sound especially when this county switches to "summer gas". It doesn't matter what grade of gas they all suck. My motor likes 87 octane the best mileage wise.

4. The gearing is high and as stated in previous posts keeps the rpms up don't shift so quickly. Also look into Ivan's ecu tune or known as the (flash). It does help with the lugging as well as the 30T front sprocket change. I love this combo.
thanks for replying...

1. I agree on cooling system, something isnt right.


2. I got the info about the bike moving forward = clutch problem from BillyD666 post, it said if you shift into gear with no front brake and the bike moves its clutch issue.


3. The motor noise really concerns and baffles me. I've read a lot about Ivans flash on here and it sounds wonderful.. except the other stuff that you have to have, and the price. Not in love with this bike, so dumping money in it seems like a waste if I'm not sure if I'll keep it.
ScarBeg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hero Member
 
preacherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kennywoods backyard
Posts: 676
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarBeg2001 View Post


3. The motor noise really concerns and baffles me. I've read a lot about Ivans flash on here and it sounds wonderful.. except the other stuff that you have to have, and the price. Not in love with this bike, so dumping money in it seems like a waste if I'm not sure if I'll keep it.
Try to shoot a short video of the motor noise. Here is mine stock not the best quality.
https://youtu.be/KZkpSOV7Cog
__________________


For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead (James 2:26) ESV
preacherman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 16
Default

Ride the stryker like a sport bike, not as hard, but similar style. Keep revs up, use the clutch when needed. The stryker asks for more. Motor noise is something else. I got used to it. Thanks to this forum I'm not scared that its bout to give up the ghost. My clutch adjusted easily at handlebar. About 1/2 inch free play at end of lever and no more bounce going from neutral. Still clunky and loud though. Sounds tough is what I tell myself. Lol
308mack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: wyoming
Posts: 8
Default

I think I'm gonna give up and ride it like I stole it.. as far as all the weird looks I get when I'm at a stop light with this tapping, ticking, crickets on crack bike... oh well. Just twist the grip, leave them behind. Thanks all for your input. If there is anyone from Wy on here would love to chat
ScarBeg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Member
 
mglii1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nw Indiana
Posts: 51
Default

The more I beat on my stryker the more it ask for.
A Set of disposable foam ear plugs takes care of the annoying ticking at idle, and as a side bonus it also helps preserve what little hearing I have left.
mglii1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Star Stryker Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relocated my tag & added LED lights (lots of pics) Mr monte Mods and Accessories 15 10-20-2014 04:52 PM
Lots of stuff for sale... kllrbee Classifieds 20 08-18-2014 01:29 PM
New website...lots of half naked photos :P Fuzzystump Random Discussion 9 06-20-2014 03:25 PM
2013 Yamaha Star Stryker Lots of Extras visualsinz Classifieds 9 06-19-2014 10:52 AM
Few issues, all in one thread (height, reach issues) kakarot General Stryker Discussion 14 05-27-2013 02:45 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL3
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum
YamahaStarStryker.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on YamahaStarStryker.com is generated by its users and YamahaStarStryker.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.