Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have browsed the forums and I can't find much on the subject. I was riding my 13 stryker around all day and had no issues. I stopped to get gas, put my key in turned to on and everything was working. Lights came on, dash came on all good. I press my start button and it cranked for half a second and the whole bike died. As soon as I released the starter everything came back on. This keeps happening. It was obviously the batter BUT I got a new battery and it's still doing it. Any suggestions? We can push start it and drop the clutch and it starts fine but other than that I get nothing.

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
1,009 Posts
If you bought a new battery and didn’t charge it fully first before install, I would start there. If after a full charge it still has same issue, usually it’s either a faulty new battery, or possible starter circuit. Never jump your motorcycle with a running car it can cook wiring or ECU. You can eliminate the starter as being bad if, you turn key on bike on obviously make sure and hook the positive (from a car) up to the starter. Obviously the negative needs to be hooked to a ground but do not start the car!
If it fires up then the starter is good. And the battery is bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you bought a new battery and didn’t charge it fully first before install, I would start there. If after a full charge it still has same issue, usually it’s either a faulty new battery, or possible starter circuit. Never jump your motorcycle with a running car it can cook wiring or ECU. You can eliminate the starter as being bad if, you turn key on bike on obviously make sure and hook the positive (from a car) up to the starter. Obviously the negative needs to be hooked to a ground but do not start the car!
If it fires up then the starter is good. And the battery is bad.
How would you go about hooking directly to the starter?

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
1,009 Posts
I cannot find my pic of it but if you look at the starter behind the rad, there is a cover over the post that has the positive cable you uncover that, put ground clamp on brake lever- then just touch the positive post with the positive cable don’t hold it on more than 3 seconds at a time. Make sure you have the key on and run switch on- It should start the bike.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
How would you go about hooking directly to the starter?
Just make 100% sure you are in neutral since going directly to starter bypasses the safety switches and bike will lurch forward it in gear!!

Starters can and do go bad and sometimes just have a flat spot on armature etc. If it won't spin, try gently tapping on the housing with a small hammer and then try again.
I had a friend with a car that lived this way for more than a year :) Risky but we were young and poor back then!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts