Yamaha Star Stryker banner

16k mile schedualed maintenance service charge question.

9K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  oldfart 
#1 ·
Has anyone here done or got quotes on the 16k maintenance servicing? What's the charges?

#4 ·
Its the first big service and both dealerships i spoke with quoted $900 if they do it by the book. My friend that runs his own private shop and does a lot of work for me is going to take care of everything but the oil change for $300

#5 ·
skwerlee said:
Its the first big service and both dealerships i spoke with quoted $900 if they do it by the book. My friend that runs his own private shop and does a lot of work for me is going to take care of everything but the oil change for $300
$300. makes more sence than $900. $900. @ $80.phr is a lot of hours.
JMHO

#8 ·
SmokenJOE said:
Change coolant, repack steering and swing arm bearings, change plugs.

Come on Toby, you can do all this stuff and save some $$$$$$.
Ya Joe I can do it my self and probobly will . The only thing I've never done is sych throttle bodies. If it's over $200 I probably will do a lot of it myself and take it in for whatever I don't feel like doing. Or I may ask Straightjacket if I could use his shop with his assistance.
Why I'm asking is I've heard, again, some horror stories with dealers gouging customers in the sum of $500 to $900 on another forum. $300+ per hr? :eek: So I'm not surprised seeing the same here. What is up with that? I can only hope no one here falls for that ****.
I've already got two different quotes for the 950, independent shop $150 and the dealer $180. I can't see the Stryker being much more if any.
I just want to get this info out to others and make sure I got it right before I go off about dealer rip offs.
I'm not near the 16k mile mark yet but if my plans work out this summer I might be on the east coast when I hit 16k miles. ;D I might have to wait til 18 to 20k to do it when I get back.
If it was $900 for 16k-m service, what's that 10% of what the bike is worth, plus for me at least two rear tires and one front tire and what ever other expenses might come up, total more than 20% of what the bike is worth, my god I would just buy a new bike every 16k miles.

#10 ·
SmokenJOE said:
richard3 said:
Isn't that valve adjustment time also .
Yep, missed that one, sorry. Every 16,000 valve check.
Throttle body synch too. ;)

#13 ·
Sometimes prices quoted vary a lot based on where they are located. Some areas of the country have a much higher cost of living...
For the initial 600 mile I paid over $200 and that really amounted to an oil change, lube and checking all the stuff they originally put together. Seemed high but I wanted to be sure things were A-OK.

As for the 16K, there's a fair amount of items on the checklist so I wouldn't be surprised if it would take at least 3 hours. That, some shop supplies, oil/filter and the hourly rate would probably move me into the $400 range here by Chicago.

I'm only at 2800 so I haven't looked into YouTube videos or articles on some of the items. They could be relatively easy or a huge pain to accomplish. I just don't know right now.
Will do the oil change in the spring since I looked into that and the job looks really easy.

Toby, doing the things you can yourself and having them do the rest sounds like a great idea and an intelligent compromise.
Let us know how this works out.

#15 ·
ROADKILL said:
16k oil change including transfer case, radiator flush....hydraulic valves no adjustment needed, throttle body sync - if it's running right no need for that either - you may want to change plugs and air filter you should be able to do all this yourself

The shop that wants to charge $900 needs to be shut down!!
Two separate Yamaha Dealerships quoted the $900...according to them pulling the front end and swing arm off to do the barrings is labor intensive.

#16 ·
skwerlee said:
ROADKILL said:
16k oil change including transfer case, radiator flush....hydraulic valves no adjustment needed, throttle body sync - if it's running right no need for that either - you may want to change plugs and air filter you should be able to do all this yourself

The shop that wants to charge $900 needs to be shut down!!
Two separate Yamaha Dealerships quoted the $900...according to them pulling the front end and swing arm off to do the barrings is labor intensive.
I think a little more research on how labor intensive those two things are is in my future. Still the question, Why are most shops willing to do it for less than half that amount. I agree with ROADKILL, they need to be shut down.
Big question comes to my mind about the steering bearings needing packed at 16k miles. They work far less hard than wheel bearings and how many miles before they need packing? I know I've heard stories about Yamaha problematic steering bearings though.

#17 ·
It's really not that hard to do any of those things that are required in a big service. It does however take alot of time, and some special tools that make it easy to do. At a shop you have to pay for all that it's just how it works, shop rate $65-$100hr, lift $2000,sync tool$150? Parts and consumables? Not trying to justify,,, I guess I am. To do that correctly it'll probably take all day. Your pretty much taking everything but the motor off the bike! You either have to PAY someone to do it or do it yourself. When you go to work you make money, right? There's someone out there saying,"The shop that wants to charge $900 needs to be shut down!!",and their talking about what we do then?

I digress, Toby if you want to do your own service we can plan it out and do it here. I'll either help you do it and you can buy Pizza and Beeeer's, or you can drop it off and pay me to do it and I'll hook you up. LMK ;)

#19 ·
Straightjacket said:
It's really not that hard to do any of those things that are required in a big service. It does however take alot of time, and some special tools that make it easy to do. At a shop you have to pay for all that it's just how it works, shop rate $65-$100hr, lift $2000,sync tool$150? Parts and consumables? Not trying to justify,,, I guess I am. To do that correctly it'll probably take all day. Your pretty much taking everything but the motor off the bike! You either have to PAY someone to do it or do it yourself. When you go to work you make money, right? There's someone out there saying,"The shop that wants to charge $900 needs to be shut down!!",and their talking about what we do then?

I digress, Toby if you want to do your own service we can plan it out and do it here. I'll either help you do it and you can buy Pizza and Beeeer's, or you can drop it off and pay me to do it and I'll hook you up. LMK ;)
Again it goes back to just exactly what actually needs to be done on the check list - 43,000 miles and I haven't had to repack my wheel bearings so I don't think my swingarm or steering bearings would need to be repacked - If a shop was going to charge me $900 for a service I **** well would stay there and watch to make sure they did just exactly what they said they were going to do. There are shops out there that will stick it to ya in a heart beat

#20 ·
ROADKILL said:
Straightjacket said:

Again it goes back to just exactly what actually needs to be done on the check list - 43,000 miles and I haven't had to repack my wheel bearings so I don't think my swingarm or steering bearings would need to be repacked - If a shop was going to charge me $900 for a service I **** well would stay there and watch to make sure they did just exactly what they said they were going to do. There are shops out there that will stick it to ya in a heart beat
Ya for sure! It's sad to say but when you do have to spend that type of cash it would be nice to be able to TRUST that the shop is actually doing all that! It's like that all over, it'd be nice to be able to trust without doubt.

#21 ·
I have had my VTX for over 50,000 miles and when I tore it down for trike mod, the swing arm bearings looked like they had just come from the factory with grease looking as good. Steering stem bearings looks as good when changed out for 6* rake. Manufacturers have a great list of checks for their equipment but not is all necessary. (IMHO)
How many folks actually do the same recommended checks and change out parts on their cars at the dealer?

#22 ·
If your the type of rider that does most of the necessary PM then you can probably determine if a given service or parts of it are needed and just get those parts done by a dealership if they are beyond your abilities or require special tools.

Now if you are the type that "just adds gas" it might be a good idea to have a qualified mechanic take a look at your bike every so often ;D $500-$1000 really isn't that much for the TLC that you haven't been giving the bike if you're in this category!!

As for a trusted shop, yep said it before, getting a good initial sale price is nice but if you don't like/trust the shop then, IMO, you're missing the more important part.

The manual is a great starting point for when to do things. Said to replace the brake hoses every 4 years. Perfect way to justify to the spouse the need to upgrade to SS lines since they probably won't need to be replaced;)

#25 ·
canyon1 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the valves are not hydraulically actuated and, thus require an adjustment. ??? :(
You ar correct Canyon. Raider has Hyd. Lifters and Stryker has Solid lifters. Good catch!!

#26 ·
11Stryker said:
canyon1 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the valves are not hydraulically actuated and, thus require an adjustment. ??? :(
You ar correct Canyon. Raider has Hyd. Lifters and Stryker has Solid lifters. Good catch!!
Stryker also has roller rockers which means less wear and and less need for adjustment.

The 1854cc motors, all, I believe have hydraulic lifters and I believe also the Road star v4 motor. But they have 4 valves per cylinder and dual rocker setups that have to be synchronized. One out of a pair has a lock nut and adjustment screw. This is to keep the valves that work in conjunction even.

Straightjacket, I will be getting hold of you in the future. As you know I won't take my bike to a shop that you can't at least watch them work, but you can't beat one that you can sit there and drink beer and eat pizza and swop tales with the mechanic. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.