Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

It has 12k miles or so, woold changing the coolant help, or is it likely a mechanical issue? I'm assuming the cooling system is the culprit as this never happened before and the temperature light came on for the first time ever.

It caught me by surprise on the highway. Years of riding and this never happened, so it's an issue that just happened. It's liquid cooled and also has a fan to help,

I was only riding for about 20-30 mins, I've gone on multi hour rides before without issue.

The oil has a few hundred miles on it and is synthetic, so I know that wasn't the issue.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
895 Posts
Most common is thermostat not opening. Or a faulty coolant sensor. Could also be a water pump issue but haven't seen that problem yet. Changing the coolant won't hurt, but also won't fix the issue. I have 21k on original coolant on my '13. Plan to change end of season. Is the level of coolant in the reservoir at full mark?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would check if fan is working. Start the bike and if fan kicks in when it gets warm. Could also be fan fuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
You were possibly low on oil. I am sure your clutch was clunky as a result. Change your coolant as it is due. Make sure fan is coming on. But likely oil issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the oil look milky at all in the sight glass? Or, on the flip side, does it look like there could be any oil in your coolant reservoir? This could be a blown head gasket, for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts