Yamaha Star Stryker banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
IMO there is a drastic difference with a 240 over stock. All the pro tips mentioned above are straight on. I have never had so much fun swerving from left to right in turns. It changes your entire ride. There are times I have to remind myself not to lean too much as Im not on a crotch rocket, then while you are finishing the turn give her some gas and watch her throw you straight up. If you just do this and get it done I would be shocked if you ever put a 210 on the bike again. btw I have mine lowered 2 3/4

·
Registered
665 Posts
I went to the 240 because it was $10 more at the time to get new rubbler. It was a experiment to see if stock is better for the ride.
I ride LOTS of twisties up in Gold Country and love the cornering on the 240.
I like what was mentioned, that the rim is narrow for the 240 and it helps the bow of the tyre.
Bottom line is get the 240 !

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I'm going on my 12th or 13th rear tier, lost count. Only two were stock 210s the rest have been 240s. My next tier will been 6th Michelin C-II. I get an average of 3,500 to 4,500miles of each tire because I live in extreme mountains. But I actually run them balled from side to side and make over 5,000 miles on them. I like the 2.25 lowering but I keep it at 1" because I pack camping gear and there are a lot of pot holes and such. It actually handles a little better at 1"

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Once again I got every mile I could out of my tire LOL

This shows how well Michelin C IIs hold up No cupping, no squaring off, stays round to the last mile. Bald from side to side. Something cut it but didn't puncture the belt

·
Registered
15 Posts
240 from 210

What is the best and most reliable tire 240, I got a **** screw in my Bridgestone G852R 210/40R18 - and I heard dunlop is a bad choice - any suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put the MC2 240 on this weekend replacing my stock 210. I took the wheel off brought it to the shop and went back an hour later and they said it looks better on the rim than the 210. No issues putting tire on rim. With the 240 the rim is in farther (obviously) but looks more natural like the rim was made for the tire. I returned home installed with very little effort (easy with 2 people). Could have install in 30 mins if I didn't forget the washer.... No mods required. Initially I didn't notice but after a few hours of riding I'm finding a big difference. Glad I read your comments. We went for ride on a curvy road and handled really nice. Would like to try that again solo where I could push the limits.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I read all this and I am still not convinced , I hear it turns in better but how is the throttle in the turn can you hold it or is the bike always looking for a better gear

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I read all this and I am still not convinced , I hear it turns in better but how is the throttle in the turn can you hold it or is the bike always looking for a better gear
No one is going to be able to convince you if you are looking for reasons not to like it. I'm definitely a peg scraper. I run my bike pretty hard in the turns and I have no issues with the tire. It handles whatever I'm giving it. It's infinitely better than the 210. There really is no comparison between the two as far as handling is concerned. After this weekend, I know the tire handles the wet roads well too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
No one is going to be able to convince you if you are looking for reasons not to like it. I'm definitely a peg scraper. I run my bike pretty hard in the turns and I have no issues with the tire. It handles whatever I'm giving it. It's infinitely better than the 210. There really is no comparison between the two as far as handling is concerned. After this weekend, I know the tire handles the wet roads well too.
You said it right there we all ride different, some harder then others so it's hard to tell how it will be with a harder rider vs a cruiser kind of guy

I haven't count it out yet , just waiting for the day I can ride someone's bike with it for second to tell me what to do

I know when I ride canyons I usually stay in third gear , only dropping down for really sharp turns and only going up when needed

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
You said it right there we all ride different, some harder then others so it's hard to tell how it will be with a harder rider vs a cruiser kind of guy

I haven't count it out yet , just waiting for the day I can ride someone's bike with it for second to tell me what to do

I know when I ride canyons I usually stay in third gear , only dropping down for really sharp turns and only going up when needed
The roads dictate what gear you're going to be in no matter what tire you're running.
I'm on something like my 13th rear tire. Only two stock 210s. For me the 240s or where it's at for these bikes and I ride extreme mountains all the time. Some times I ride like a nut but most of the time I cruise. It really is a personal preference on brand. There is a huge difference between Dunlop and MC2s and Metz though. My wife rides the same roads I doand when she hat a Stryker she liked the Dunlap E3 better than the others. Reason is she was more comfortable with the more like slandered cruiser feel that rolls deeper into turns. The reason for this is Dunlap is the largest in diameter of all the brands and pinches the sidewall straighter up and down than the others. This rolls over at a greater lean angleearlier in the turns than the other brands. When traveling at higher speeds you don't whant to flick deep into the turns that fast. The down side to this is also it cups and squares off faster. Same with Metz brands too though. Although the Metz are lower and don't roll deeper in the turns like the Duns do, the nature of the design, three separate belts allows more flex on the side portion separate from the center belt. Again this allow the tire to square off prematurely.
The MC2s stay rounded all the way until they are bald from side to side with no cupping. So you always get an smother transition and even roll in and out of turns. . It never feels like it at some point wants to lean faster. It's also, with the MC2, your input to the handlebars and throttle and braking that tells the bike to lean more or pull out of the turn. It's more stable than the other brands. You're never fighting what the tire wants to do, it's all you.

I've shared pictures from time to time on how deferentially the tires wear from brand to brand. My personal preference is the MC2s. :nod:

·
Registered
381 Posts
The roads dictate what gear you're going to be in no matter what tire you're running.
I'm on something like my 13th rear tire. Only two stock 210s. For me the 240s or where it's at for these bikes and I ride extreme mountains all the time. Some times I ride like a nut but most of the time I cruise. It really is a personal preference on brand. There is a huge difference between Dunlop and MC2s and Metz though. My wife rides the same roads I doand when she hat a Stryker she liked the Dunlap E3 better than the others. Reason is she was more comfortable with the more like slandered cruiser feel that rolls deeper into turns. The reason for this is Dunlap is the largest in diameter of all the brands and pinches the sidewall straighter up and down than the others. This rolls over at a greater lean angleearlier in the turns than the other brands. When traveling at higher speeds you don't whant to flick deep into the turns that fast. The down side to this is also it cups and squares off faster. Same with Metz brands too though. Although the Metz are lower and don't roll deeper in the turns like the Duns do, the nature of the design, three separate belts allows more flex on the side portion separate from the center belt. Again this allow the tire to square off prematurely.
The MC2s stay rounded all the way until they are bald from side to side with no cupping. So you always get an smother transition and even roll in and out of turns. . It never feels like it at some point wants to lean faster. It's also, with the MC2, your input to the handlebars and throttle and braking that tells the bike to lean more or pull out of the turn. It's more stable than the other brands. You're never fighting what the tire wants to do, it's all you.

I've shared pictures from time to time on how deferentially the tires wear from brand to brand. My personal preference is the MC2s. :nod:
Yes the road kinda dictates what gear , but you also don't want to be shifting mid corner because the bike can't do it . That is why third is my gear doesn't require a lot of shifting to meet corner speeds

No one can tell me how a 240 is going to react to my riding style and that is why I am on the fence about it , third might be too high or low in the RPM range and require more shifting then really needed

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Yes the road kinda dictates what gear , but you also don't want to be shifting mid corner because the bike can't do it . That is why third is my gear doesn't require a lot of shifting to meet corner speeds

No one can tell me how a 240 is going to react to my riding style and that is why I am on the fence about it , third might be too high or low in the RPM range and require more shifting then really needed
It shifts fine in corners even when racing. I do it a lot because I've had dear jump out in front of me in a corner or I decide that I want more torque coming out of the corner than the higher gear will give me. Or I see that there is a small straight away coming out of the corner. You max out your rpm befor the end of the curve. I mean there is multiple reasons why I shift in corners. I also ride flank to my wife and she slows more than I did coming into the turn so I want to slow and have more rpm on the motor for stability etc. etc. etc. Ideally you want to hit your corner at the right speed and in the perfect gear to pull out but that only happens in perfect racing conditions. :wink:
So yes the Stryker , and any bike is capable of shifting in a corner.

Also you will find that the 240 gives you a little more rpm range per gear than the 210.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts