Yamaha Star Stryker banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys and gals. I’m new to the forum here. I have a 2014 Stryker. It’s time for new tires and I’m considering switching to the Avon 240 rear tire. For those that have switched are you still running with the stock front tire? I can’t seem to find much mention on it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hello Hillcountry, welcome, and reading this same post I upgraded to the CMII for both tires. The front is stock and the rear is now a 240. Love the look and ride.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry Hillcountry, someone else will have to answer that question, I just went from a Gold Wing to a Stryker because my wife can't ride anymore (bad back). Can't imagine there being any problem. Everyone says the bike actually handles better. Hope someone else comes along with a more definitive answer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just put avon 240 (new Avon on front too) on. Weather been too crappy to ride, and now I'm on nightshift. Within the next couple days I hope to be able to tell you how it does with wife on back. Just reaching under fender with no one on bike, it feels like plenty room. I'm about 220 lbs, shes probably 140 (if she asks, I said 115). Should have more data no later than Wednesday.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Only thing I had to do was put a washer on the belt guard to ensure clearance on the side wall for my Commander IIs.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I bottom out occasionally as a single rider (200 lbs) but I also have the bike lowered 1". Wife rides with me some times and we are still OK unless I hit some nasty bumps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the dealerships refuses to install a 240 on the original wheel for good reason. They don’t want to be sued for installing a tire that is not a recommended fit. Y’all can recommend it all you want. It’s the tire manufacturers recommendation is what will hold up in court after the surviving family members sue the tire shop when someone dies.
With that said I install my own 240 and will continue to do so. But I disagree with y’all it makes it harder to lean on the twisties.
Up grading to a steel breaded front brake line helps control the bike and plants more weight on the front wheel for the lean at 80 mph.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hoping to get some help on a common thread. I’m thinking about going up to a 240. Sounds like most of you like it. I’m just worried about it effecting my turning/cornering ability.

1) I do not plan on lowering my bike. Has anybody else not lowered and added a 240? Is it harder to make turns/curves?

2) My shop guy is hesitant to put the 240 on because he says it’s a 7.5 wheel, where as a 240 would require an 8. Any thoughts on this? Safety concerns?

3) My shop guy says Avon is not a good tire. He is recommending Command II or Dunlop. Or, if I stay with original 210, to stay with Bridgestone. Any thoughts?

4) Especially if i go with 240, ... does anyone have an easy fix to mod the license plate holder? I don’t mind the blinkers, and I even kinda like the tail light. But all that ugly plastic has to go so I could show off a fatter tire! I also have two side bags, so I don’t think I could mount the pate to the side.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Hoping to get some help on a common thread. I’m thinking about going up to a 240. Sounds like most of you like it. I’m just worried about it effecting my turning/cornering ability.

1) I do not plan on lowering my bike. Has anybody else not lowered and added a 240? Is it harder to make turns/curves?

2) My shop guy is hesitant to put the 240 on because he says it’s a 7.5 wheel, where as a 240 would require an 8. Any thoughts on this? Safety concerns?

3) My shop guy says Avon is not a good tire. He is recommending Command II or Dunlop. Or, if I stay with original 210, to stay with Bridgestone. Any thoughts?

4) Especially if i go with 240, ... does anyone have an easy fix to mod the license plate holder? I don’t mind the blinkers, and I even kinda like the tail light. But all that ugly plastic has to go so I could show off a fatter tire! I also have two side bags, so I don’t think I could mount the pate to the side.
Plenty of info/opinions on the forum on these topics so crack a beer and search.

#1, I'm lowered an inch so cannot say for sure. For me turns on the 240 are as easy or easier than stock.

#2, Shop is correct on rim size but literally hundreds and hundreds of Raiders and Strykers have made the switch without any issue.

#3, Avons are fantastic tires. I just purchased my 3rd one for installation after this season. get about 16-17K out of them on my roads(Illinois mostly). C II is a great tire as well. Forum has lots of tire info.

#4, This mod is written up in detail on the forum. I chopped off the crap in the first 6 months. Search.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love mine (Avon 240)

Barely fits but it has no issues so far, bike feels more solid and everyone notices that fat *! Sure you take wider turns, but it feels so much more solid/flat... Hard to explain, but it felt amazing immediately.

I noticed I needed more throttle/revs to keep it from lugging on the starts... But my pipes and other toys addressed that ;)

Highly recommended
I went to my Dlr today as the Victory M/C demo fleet was there for Demos. I picked a factory bike w/250 rear tire. The Victory people cautioned me that it wouldn't want to turn normally that I would need to go old school & really push down on handle bars to go in a turn,not just lean. I assure them it wouldn't be a problem as my bike had a 210 rear. BOY was I Wrong! This thing didn't want to turn @ all esp..Left handers. The entire demo ride was miserable as the bike fought me @ every turn, not wanting to turn but stay upright or go back upright all thru the turn, MISERABLE DEMO. Even after getting back on my bike for 15 minutes I was man handling my bike @ every turn due to the experience. I remember reading in the Magazines when the Suzuki M109R came out the test rider/editors complained it didn't want to turn just stay upright ( it had a 240 rear) I dismissed the articles as sport bike riders used to Crotch rockets, not Cruisers. My bike will soon need a new rear tire & I was planning on installing a 240 rear, now I am rethinking this. I am happy w/the way my bike handles & have no issue w/turns,sweepers @ any speed,nor do I ever think about the rear tire width. I don't want to get a 240 rear & regret that decision & ruin the riding experience. I don't just cruise 20-30 miles a weekend on the freeway & don't want to sacrifice HANDLING FOR LOOKING BAD ASS so the Question is: Those of you that have gone to a 240 DO YOU HAVE TO FIGHT THE BIKE IN TURNS? & would you go larger if it were not for the look or already doing it? Thanks in advance for your input. Mike
I have put a 240 Pirelli night Dragan on about two months ago and it's a great tyre and the way a 240 fills out that back quard makes the 240 a no brainer

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had my local shop put on a 240. They were apprehensive about it but after few min they had no problem trying it (they knew I'd pay for a second change if it didn't work haha cause it was 'my idea').
The difference is pretty noticable. Some things that I noticed that I've not really seen brought up is that the bike sits higher now, I didn't notice it right off the bat, but when I got home from the shop, the bike leaned a bit further over than normal. Haha! About felt like I was dropping it. It's not a huge amount, but just enough to make me sect guess the stand was down.
The better handling from having a slightly more round tire is a nice change.
So far I have seen Zero down side. Grab one online and have the local shop put it on.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts