Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys I’m an absolute rookie so was hoping you guys could help me out with what I’ll need once I slap a 240 rear tyre on as far as lowering the beast. I’ve seen some posts talking about some kind of links, and then I’ve seen a lowered spring for $250USD on low and mean? What would be the best way once the 240 is on to get the bike back to its original height when it had the 210 on it? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good day! I made a set of links to lower mine. Very easy to install and works just fine. Fits well with the 240. Super easy way to lower your bike. If you are making a link kit, note that a 1/2" longer link will drop your bike 2" at the wheel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 240 makes the bike a bit harder to control. It takes much more effort on the rider to get the wider tire to lean into the corner. The 240 makes the tire more then an inch wider. So at the center line of the tire you have more then a half inch of rubber to lean over. Doesn’t sound like much but it takes more time and distance to get the bike to turn.
Don’t get me wrong I’m on my second 240. All I’m saying is make use you have the confidence to strap a leg over the beast that will fight you in the twisters.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 240 makes the bike a bit harder to control. It takes much more effort on the rider to get the wider tire to lean into the corner. The 240 makes the tire more then an inch wider. So at the center line of the tire you have more then a half inch of rubber to lean over. Doesn’t sound like much but it takes more time and distance to get the bike to turn.
Don’t get me wrong I’m on my second 240. All I’m saying is make use you have the confidence to strap a leg over the beast that will fight you in the twisters.
Good luck.
Hmm, my experience is different. The 240 tire doesn't "fit" entirely on the standard 210 rim, it is squeezed on it, which results in a more rounded tire.
The bike is easier to put into the corners and as it stands slightly higher, you do not hit the pegs quite as quick.
See post below for a lot of input:
https://www.yamahastarstryker.com/21-technical-discussion/6226-240-not-question.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im with teg on this my stryker got a lot more flickable with the 240. And for the reasons he stated it should. If its not then your air pressure must be low

·
Registered
31 Posts
The air pressure on my first 240 was too high. My second 240 I’m running 36 psi.
I’ve been riding 45 years now. The Stryker does not like the twisty roads. It’s the hardest bike I’ve ridden on in the twisties and the 240 makes it harder. Yes it’s a half inches taller and the pegs don’t scrape as Quick. But I like the ride at 85/90 mph keeps the rpm a bit lower.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If going to a 240 makes the bike HARDER to lean into a turn youre doing something wrong whether that be air pressure or technique. The 240 on the factory rim gives you a taller height yes but also a more rounded tread allowing the bike to flick side to side easier not harder. Thats the physics of the situation nothing more nothing less. Now if you went to the wider rim to go wuth the 240 then yes it would a flatter contact patch and be harder to lay over into a turn.

Ive riden a lot of bikes. A LOT of different bikes. Few cruisers lean as easily as the Stryker with a 240 mod in my experience. Especially with the length taken into account.

·
Registered
74 Posts
"The 240 makes the bike a bit harder to control. It takes much more effort on the rider to get the wider tire to lean into the corner." I agree with Leverknight02 and Tegengas. I'm running 240 at 41 PSI. I notice when the tire is low when I'm having hard time in U turns. As soon as I return to 41, the bike seems lighter and more agile when turning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not to Argue with anyone here but there is nothing flickable about the Stryker. I’ve ridden bikes where you just wiggle your ass and your in the other lane.
If you’re having a hard time in u turns it might be your Technique. 41 psi is far too much air pressure and you actually lose traction in the twisties. I know I’ve tried 41 psi and every ripple in the road goes straight up my spine, not fun.
As the tire wears down you end up with a wider flat spot down the center which adds to the difficulty leaning the bike.
I’ve had dirt bikes, 2 stokes, dual sport, adventure bikes, sport bikes but the Stryker is my first cruiser. Might be an easy cruiser to ride but it is by far the hardest bikes I’ve ever ridden.
I’ll keep my 240 but not for its Rideability but for the comfort on the highway.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Not to Argue with anyone here but there is nothing flickable about the Stryker. I’ve ridden bikes where you just wiggle your ass and your in the other lane.
If you’re having a hard time in u turns it might be your Technique. 41 psi is far too much air pressure and you actually lose traction in the twisties. I know I’ve tried 41 psi and every ripple in the road goes straight up my spine, not fun.
As the tire wears down you end up with a wider flat spot down the center which adds to the difficulty leaning the bike.
I’ve had dirt bikes, 2 stokes, dual sport, adventure bikes, sport bikes but the Stryker is my first cruiser. Might be an easy cruiser to ride but it is by far the hardest bikes I’ve ever ridden.
I’ll keep my 240 but not for its Rideability but for the comfort on the highway.
Just my opinion.
So what pressure do you run?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well obviously it wont be as flickable as say an r1 or a bolt. But for a long body fat tire bike? Easily punches above its level in the turns with the 240 mod running a reasonable tire pressure. I only run around 36psi in mine

·
Registered
31 Posts
36 psi seems to feel about right. After it warms up and reaches temperature it will be close to 40 psi. With nitrogen not traditional compressed air.
As far as leaning the bike, I’m not talking about u-turns, parking lot maneuvers or changing lanes on the highway. I’m talking about twisty canyon roads. That 21 inch front tire rotating at 60 to 80 mph with the fat rear tire carving the canyon roads the bike naturally wants to stand straight up.
As the tire wears down it takes more effort to lean past the flat spot. 36 psi seems to minimize the flat center. The tire maintains its curve better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Juat out of curiosity how much do you weigh rockbottom? Thats gonna make a big difference. Im pushing the 280lb+ level. I have a lot of weight to throw around which is going to make the bike feel easier to turn on the twisties. If your a skinnier guy in the like 150 range i could see that being something that would compound the issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm curious as to what kind of twisties anyone is taking on a Cruiser at 80-90. I need to find these roads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put the 240 on mine, with 1" drop brackets on mine. I noticed the handling difference right away. It was way more nimble in the corners. Feels way more secure on the road.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts