Yamaha Star Stryker banner
201 - 220 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys, I just finished doing this mod, it looks great. I have the filter mounted straight on, no 90. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to quiet down the whistling sound at idle from those 3 holes near the bottom. At idle it's crazy loud, really takes away from the cobra swepts I have on the bike. I thought about putting a 90 on it to see if that helps, but I really like the flush look. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Your Swepts aren't loud enough!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your Swepts aren't loud enough!!
Not with the intake sucking like a hoover through the tiny (idle?) air holes!
Its pretty darn loud, and right below my ear.
I am guessing because I have the open filter all the way around and nothing really blocking the sound like intakes you would buy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mr. Groove actually mentioned that this bothered him as well and was thinking of developing something for it. Maybe hit him up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmm. I was thinking of something like that, but maybe on the inside, under the filter. Maybe a shield that goes around those 3 holes and diverts the noise down.... if they only didn't suck so darn hard.... :yuck:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I meant, instead of having a shield on the outside of the filter like you have, having a smaller shield inside, sort of across the middle... below the butterflies, but above the 3 loud holes and have it curve down so the 3 loud holes are mostly surrounded, except for the bottom so they can get air, but most of the sound will be directed down and muffled. Hmmm... now I have the squirrels churning... I will see what I can come up with this weekend..

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a Red/Chrome air filter and breather for anybody wanting to do this mod. I have a Pay-It-Forward Parts thread in the classified section. You could go from a $57 DIY mod to a $15 DIY mod.

201 - 220 of 227 Posts