Hopped on the bike yesterday morning and got about a half mile from home when it started to act like it was running out of fuel. Turned onto a side and road and it ran ok until I got into 3rd and then it started missing. 4th and 5th were much worse. Made it to a turnaround area and could barely keep it running, but I was able to limp back home.
Pulled the plugs, they were dry, but I checked for consistent spark from both coils anyway, looked fine. Put the plugs back in and started it up, idled fine for 30 seconds then started surging and idling rough, like it was dropping a cylinder. Popped the seat off and the tank loose, and completely disconnected the PowrPro, same results. Checked and cleaned the connections at the wires again, pulled the plugs again and thoroughly scrutinized them for damage. They weren't fouling at all, if anything looked like a lean issue.
At this point I'm thinking fuel delivery, possibly a clogged filter. Removed and drained the tank and removed the petcock, no debris, fuel looked and smelled fine. Checked all the lines, hoses and wires for damage or loose connections, all good. I know there's a filter in the remote tank but I didn't want to disassemble that just yet. Started looking into the procedure to check fuel pressure, realized I needed to put it back together to accomplish that lol. Once I got it back together I figured what the heck, started it up to see if it magically fixed itself. It actually idled well for two minutes, then started dropping out again. Pulled the rear plug wire off while it was running, died immediately. Put the wire back on, started the bike again and pulled the front wire off, bike kept running. Now I'm thinking a clogged/sticking injector.
Ran out and grabbed some SeaFoam and poured half a can in. Let the bike idle for quite a while, occasionally revving it up and varying rpms. It smelled lean, but seemed to get just a bit better. I figured there was no better way to move that SeaFoam through the system than to try and ride it, so off I went. Similar to the first ride, the engine didn't want to accelerate, especially in 4th or 5th. I decided I was going to force the issue and either blow the sticking injector out or call the wife to pick me up. Ran it as hard as it would go, holding gears longer and keeping the rpms up at stops. After about 30 minutes of riding, the problem mostly cleared up! It briefly acted up a couple more times on the way back home, but I made it back fine, and it idled smooth in the driveway.
Weather permitting I want to take it out again today and run it hard and see what happens. As bummed as I was that I missed out on a perfect day for riding yesterday, I was a little relieved that I appeared to make some headway. The bike has sat way more than I intend it to, which I'm sure has contributed to this issue, but my new job is going to allow me to be home after work every day so that will change.