Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've had my bike 2 weeks today. This is my first time owning a yamaha... my stryker now has around 300 miles on it. My question is...seems like the bike is geared very high, should the bike be like this?

Also anybody having lower back pain after riding their bike?? I know the bike is going to be stiff cause its new...but will it get any better?
Sorry for the questions but hey I had to ask.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
I found mine geared high also. At 55-60, 5th gear is very jumpy. Runs much smoother in 4th at those speeds which is 90 percent of my riding. I am guessing that at interstate speeds of 65-70 this will be much smoother in 5th gear.
I was a little sore after riding 90 miles in a night. But I had not ridden a road bike in 24 years and I was most likely tense. I am ordering the Better double up seat today with the better padding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
I've only got bout 250mi on mine. I think the gearing is ok. At interstate speeds it runs smooth. I still wish it had a 6 speed trans.
As for the seat, I havent had any problems but I'll let you know after my trip to the beach. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I also feel that the gears are High but that's OK.
My previous bikes 5th Gear felt like I needed one more, but with my Stryker 5th cruises very nice at 70-80, a true overdrive gear.
So I usually cruise around town with 3rd or 4th to prevent chugging. I'm sure the higher RPM helps to keep battery charged too.
Bro Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BackinBlack said:
I've only got bout 250mi on mine. I think the gearing is ok. At interstate speeds it runs smooth. I still wish it had a 6 speed trans.
As for the seat, I havent had any problems but I'll let you know after my trip to the beach. LOL
Which beach you riding too. We are going down to Myrtle Beach SC for bike week in
May, were not riding the bikes down, we are towing them behind our motorhome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
I am ordering the Better double up seat today with the better padding.
PLEASE let us know exactly what seat you ordered and what you think of it. I am dying for a new seat but i don't want to drop that much money without hearing what people think of it.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
SanDiegoStryker said:
I am ordering the Better double up seat today with the better padding.
PLEASE let us know exactly what seat you ordered and what you think of it. I am dying for a new seat but i don't want to drop that much money without hearing what people think of it.
I ordered the Cruiser Dual Touring Seat & the Black Rad III Teardrop mirrors. Hope I have both by next weekend & I will post my thoughts.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
StrykerBill said:
I also feel that the gears are High but that's OK.
My previous bikes 5th Gear felt like I needed one more, but with my Stryker 5th cruises very nice at 70-80, a true overdrive gear.
So I usually cruise around town with 3rd or 4th to prevent chugging. I'm sure the higher RPM helps to keep battery charged too.
Bro Bill
Thats cool that you live where you can travel that fast. I have to travel 30 miles north or south to get on interstate. All our other roads are all 55 limit with lots of patrol units.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
has anyone hit the rev limiter yet?? I have hit mine many times.
The Raider is geared like that too......Ive hit 80 in 3rd...of course
that was revved way high.....I think that is its max in 3rd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
What is the rev limiter set to for the Stryker? It's got to be a bit higher than the Raider (5200).


RSR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
The rev limiter kicked in on Desiree's Stryker at about 70 mph in 2nd gear. I did it again later and went above 70 mph, but was not riding as hard. I'm guessing it's very similar to the Raider and probably the 1300 too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
wow!!! yeah that it pretty close to ours.....I thought 80 in 3rd was pushing it.

Ok, how about the power ban? I hit mine and it scared the pee outta me. I wasnt
expecting that jump in power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
i really like the gearing, it seems to really keep it in the power band. It could have had a 6 speed, but i do not believe it would benefit the motorcycle at all. The only thing you could really use 6 is if they had 2 overdrives and that would be a little bit of a waste, more bulk, and more shifting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Ares said:
The rev limiter kicked in on Desiree's Stryker at about 70 mph in 2nd gear. I did it again later and went above 70 mph, but was not riding as hard. I'm guessing it's very similar to the Raider and probably the 1300 too.
might have to put a tach on Desiree's bike.

RSR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
RedStar said:
Ares said:
The rev limiter kicked in on Desiree's Stryker at about 70 mph in 2nd gear. I did it again later and went above 70 mph, but was not riding as hard. I'm guessing it's very similar to the Raider and probably the 1300 too.
might have to put a tach on Desiree's bike.

RSR
I hope not. I hate the look. Well, except for the little digital ones that could mount by the grips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
The bike is definately easier to ride and shift if it's ridden aggressively. Riding it soft is a bit of a challenge as the splits between first and second seem to be pretty far - you have to wind it up in first before going to second otherwise it will lug and buck.

Audra
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
I Agree Audra, Hard to ride easy, But is better with loud pipes- makes you want to get in it more. LOL
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top