Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Styker riders,

I just upgraded my pipes to V&H Twin slash staggared, upgraded the intake to the Cobra PowerFlo, and added the Cobra FI2000 AT.

Now my bike sputters and cuts out when maintaining a lower RPM (typically in the lower gears 1st, 2nd & 3rd). I've adjusted the AutoTuner to add and subract fuel and the problem persists. I do sort of hear a "pst" sound when it cuts out. Almost like a short is occuring. Anyone have this problem? This didn't happen when all was OEM configuration.

Corbra replaced the circuit board for the FI2000 and that didn't help so I'm thinking that is not the issue.

All suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!

·
Registered
917 Posts
It's a common problem from all my reading, a lot say the 30th front pulley fixes it. I have pipes intake and ejk tuner and don't have any issues at all.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yup, just the normal issues. I love the way my exhaust sounds but if I would have read before I bought it then I would have bought something different. That sound you are hearing is not a short, its coming from the intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I've got some bad news for you...

I had the same exact problem and same exact set up.... 'cept mine would cut out in every gear at a certain rpm range with that sputter / gasp.... when holding the throttle steady...

There has been numerous threads / discussions / debates on this issue...

1)Make sure there are not leaks on your front & read Head pipe.
2)for some - unplugging / plugging the O2 sensor works / doesn't work... (each bike is different) ---- oh and there is the "resistor" add on trick as well
3)add the 30 tooth front pulley does the trick...
4) No matter what combination of "stuff" you try and do... as long as you are using the V&H without a cross over... it just plain will not work with Cobra's Auto Tuner...

Here is what I ended up doing with my rebuild

1)I still have the Cobra Power Pro Tuner and Power Flo Air Intake
2) I have the 30th front pulley
3) I have the O2 resistor mod & I have left the O2 plugged in.
4) I replaced the V&H with Cobra's Tri-Pro 2 into 1 Exhaust...

& Wa La.... she runs smooth as a hot knife through butter.... Night & day difference...
and it wasn't until I put on the Tri-Pro's that it all came together...

Hope your experience is not as rough as mine... and some of the smaller steps may be your solution... but just prepare yourself for having to switch out Either the exhaust that has a cross over... or go with an EJK (which was going to be my next step if the Cobra exhaust didn't work).

Good luck... keep us updated on your progress!

oh... the some ppl's advice of just ride it like you stole it... or that's the way it is... is just plain S...H... I... T.... don't accept mediocrity... I didn't and am glad I kept trying to get my baby to run like I think she could and would!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Everyone says that the cobra tuners usually don't cooperate well with the v&h pipes. I use the ejk tuner with cobra pipes and intake and have absolutely zero issues

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a power commander 5 and it has taken me 3000 miles so far this year to get mine to where it only coughs normally once each time I ride it. If i end up keeping this bike through to next year then I will be swapping my exhaust with the cobra tri's. I like the way they look and I like that they go back further on the bike.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Get an EJK TUNER and disconnect the o2 sensor and if you like loud pipes go with the Freedom Exhaust, great look and awesome sound.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for this thread.. now i know what not to do..*lol*.. greatly appreciated guys.. "I'd rather learn from someone else's mistakes"

·
Registered
917 Posts
EJK tuner and vances and hines I don't think there are many people having issues with that combo.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know on my setup both unhooking the o2 and running the o2 mod wire made my bike run worse. But like I said, thats on my setup.

·
8,693 Posts
I welded in a crossover on my V&H Staggerds and put the O2 Sensor in the crossover. Works great but then I never had the stumble problem after I changed to the 30 tooth front pulley

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I know on my setup both unhooking the o2 and running the o2 mod wire made my bike run worse. But like I said, thats on my setup.

Your Power Commander V came with a connection for the o2 sensor, that connection virtually eliminates the sensor but allows the system to operate without issues of throwing any errors or faults.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My bike wont idle with it unhooked and sputters all the time at steady throttle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the comments folks, very useful stuff. I'm bummed that this didn't work right away, wish I found out about these issues before deciding on the V&H pipes. Love the look/sound and the performance boost from the intake but this is a pain in the neck. I wonder if its the 2012 model stryker that has the most issues?

Basically it looks like I'm out 500 bucks on the AT because Cobra won't acknowledge an issue with V&H pipes on the stryker to where i can get a refund from Dennis Kirk. Whether its due to their lack of A/F range or whatever the case is, sucks that I fell for it.

So a few questions.

1. I've heard a lot about a wide band O2 sensor... where do I get one (can't seem to find it by searching the net)
2. Does anyone have V&H Twin Staggered with Cobra PowerFlo intake and the EJK (only those items) working or is there more needed to get this running right?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
With most tuners, you would want the o2 sensor either unplugged or altered in some form so it's not sending a signal to your factory control module. You adjust your fuel pots or map to suit the bike and you don't want the onboard control making changes to it on the fly. The PCV comes with a o2 sensor cord that disables the sensor.
The Cobra auto tuner you would think would need the o2 sensor plugged in and working without restriction, it's supposed to sniff and adjust based on what is coming out. But some run with it and other's without it hooked up.
It seems odd that there is no consistency with what works with each tuner in every application on the same bike. Two people running exactly the same set up with different results. Some people run the tuner and o2 sensor hooked up and runs fine, others have it disconnected and runs fine, then the o2 resistor mod works for some.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If you run the Cobra Auto tuner with no O2, how does it know to adjust? Isn't that the way it knows? I run the Gman ( EJK ) and have my O2 unplugged. Runs good to me, but I do not have a full aftermarket exhaust. Most these problems I read seem to involve V&H pipes.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you run the Cobra Auto tuner with no O2, how does it know to adjust? Isn't that the way it knows? I run the Gman ( EJK ) and have my O2 unplugged. Runs good to me, but I do not have a full aftermarket exhaust. Most these problems I read seem to involve V&H pipes.
Exactly what I was thinking. That may be part of the issue with the auto tune and V&H pipes, there's no crossover. So the reading is happening on one cylinder and it will adjust fuel to both cylinders based on what it's seeing on the one. An o2 reading from a crossover pipe would at least be a blended read and adjustment.
It'd be interesting to find out exactly what the issue is and why there is so many inconsistencies with what works and doesn't on these bikes.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts