Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So , I noticed that after riding at speeds in excess of 80 mph , the right side along the length of the exhaust pipes has a small spray of oil from the air filter. I once had a HD that did the same thing and the dealership basically told me that was normal due to the hi flow air filter install. I've read up on the issues like overfill , and blowby due to piston wear . Just looking for some advice or comfort in knowing that this is common or at least fixable. Thx 馃槑.
BTW, it's not spewing oil at low or hwy speeds around 70 mph , only at high rpms .

Super Moderator
I have had that happen on other bikes when the bike is slightly overfilled with oil, but it would stop once I removed a bit of engine oil with a syringe to bring the volume down a bit. Not sure if that's something to look at in your case? If it were due to piston wear (highly unlikely in the Stryker's case I would imagine) you would also have white smoke in the exhaust, poor acceleration off the bottom end, and you would be topping up your oil regularly.

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had that happen on other bikes when the bike is slightly overfilled with oil, but it would stop once I removed a bit of engine oil with a syringe to bring the volume down a bit. Not sure if that's something to look at in your case? If it were due to piston wear (highly unlikely in the Stryker's case I would imagine) you would also have white smoke in the exhaust, poor acceleration off the bottom end, and you would be topping up your oil regularly.
Correct. There's no white smoke, fantastic acceleration and power. Great performance and mpg is over 40 mpg . It's a cobra hi flow exhaust and has the K & N air filter on it . The oil is minimal. To be safe, even though I just did my oil change 1000 miles ago , I re did it and measured the oil coming out to be 3 quarts and 12 ounces... slightly under the 3.59 required and the same amount I put in originally. Whether there's still some sludge build-up causing it in the crankshaft is uncertain ( causing high pressure numbers) , I'm not sure. I'll be watching it. Another 1000 miles and I'm taking it in for a new rear tire so maybe I can have my mechanic do a compression test on the cylinder.

Administrator
鈥13 Stryker
Well it isn鈥檛 normal. I鈥檝e had mine since new and never had oil spitting out of the filter at any speed and I use 4qts with filter change. Also have used multiple aftermarket air filter setups and have had no issues. Maybe over oiled filter element and not engine oil.

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it isn鈥檛 normal. I鈥檝e had mine since new and never had oil spitting out of the filter at any speed and I use 4qts with filter change. Also have used multiple aftermarket air filter setups and have had no issues. Maybe over oiled filter element and not engine oil.
Yup . I don't know what's causing it. Just hoping that after this second oil change I just did that it settles down. The PO had the oil filter screwed in pretty darn tight and I'm gonna guess that he might have just been leaving it on , unable to change it with the oil change. Sludge may have built up over time . The bike only has 18,000 miles on it , so engine damage, I think, is highly unlikely.
Time will tell . I took it out twice since the 2nd oil change and so far so good. No signs of oil .
Here's something else I read . I know when I first bought the bike I slid the gas tank back so I could drain the coolant. I'm wondering if I didn't kink the breather hose ?
Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Document

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. The breather hose appears to be fine. I went up to my mechanics shop yesterday and asked them what's going on. I had just reoiled the K&N and apparently over oiled it . It was clearly red oil . , not from the crankcase obviously being red it was the filter oil. He told me to go home dry it up , clean it up and see what happens. I'm confident that the oil level is fine, and there's no signs of oil from any other part of the engine. My k& n cleaner kit didn't come with spray oil , it was in a squirter bottle that obviously needs to be redesigned. It just allows too much oil to come out. My fault too I guess. 馃槑

Super Moderator
Hey, it happens. I have K&N air filters in all my bikes. I only use the spray can and follow the instructions exactly. My suggestion would to go buy a K&N kit and clean the thing with the supplied solvent and re-oil with the spray can. If you have too much oil on it, it can suck some of it into the intake and gum things up, too little and you let debris past the filter. I always figure a bit too much is better than not enough when it comes to filtration, but it pays to try hit the sweet spot.

Before you do, take off the air filter and look at the throttle body area. If you have oil in there, it's best to get rid of it. Use "throttle body cleaner" spray only on that part. You can get it at any automotive supply shop. You'll probably have black gunk around the throttle body (looks like a flat metal disc that closes off and opens up the intake. Clean it off carefully and don't manhandle the throttle body, it's a sensitive bit of kit). You'll notice it moves up and down when you turn the throttle (it actually is the throttle, so to speak). Just gently clean around it and get all the dark gunk or oil off. I bet the bike runs smoother afterwards and you'll know you don't have filter oil heading to your heads.

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, it happens. I have K&N air filters in all my bikes. I only use the spray can and follow the instructions exactly. My suggestion would to go buy a K&N kit and clean the thing with the supplied solvent and re-oil with the spray can. If you have too much oil on it, it can suck some of it into the intake and gum things up, too little and you let debris past the filter. I always figure a bit too much is better than not enough when it comes to filtration, but it pays to try hit the sweet spot.

Before you do, take off the air filter and look at the throttle body area. If you have oil in there, it's best to get rid of it. Use "throttle body cleaner" spray only on that part. You can get it at any automotive supply shop. You'll probably have black gunk around the throttle body (looks like a flat metal disc that closes off and opens up the intake. Clean it off carefully and don't manhandle the throttle body, it's a sensitive bit of kit). You'll notice it moves up and down when you turn the throttle (it actually is the throttle, so to speak). Just gently clean around it and get all the dark gunk or oil off. I bet the bike runs smoother afterwards and you'll know you don't have filter oil heading to your heads.
Thanks for answering. I visually inspected the throttle body and it is clean . Mainly, the oil was dripping down the center of the filter from gravity and out the bottom. I also went online and found a brand new replacement air filter. Since there's a PO , I have no idea how old that setup is. Although it's cleanable and reusable, everything has its limits and the fibers in it may have seen it's better days. 80 bucks, well spent in consideration that I just blew 450 on the low and mean radiator cover. 馃槅.. merry Christmas to you. Stay warm if you're up there in the tundra, Canada 馃嚚馃嚘 馃槑

Registered
2012 stryker
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the Cobra intake with K & N filter. When I clean and recoil the filter I like to prop it up on it's side over night so any extra oil can drip off. I get very little drip if any.
Since I just bought the bike 2 months ago, I really don't know too much on the history. The filter may have been 10 years old. Anyway, I decided to spend 80 bucks and buy a new one. Wow ! What a difference. I can tell you that even though these things are cleanable, after several years they probably wear out too. But what you said is a great idea. I replaced mine and now there's no more oil running down. Old vs. New below
Drum Idiophone Membranophone Musical instrument Tire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts