1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

I've got some issue with my bike.

The facts:

I've got the 2016 model with OEM led turn signals and want to install some 3in1 aftermarket turn signals.
(They got 4 wires: taillight, brakelight, turn signals, 1 shared ground line for all. Might be important later)

The new turn signals are 12V/1.5W. The factory LED turn signals have 6-9V/1.4W written on them.

The bike has no flasher relay, but instead a flasher controll unit, which is a total black box for me.

The issue:

So the issue is the following:
If I connect the aftermarket turn signals to the control unit and turn them on, they will flash up for a fraction of a second and then turn off again.

Now I thought this is caused by the low voltage of the OEM control unit.
So I got some 5V relays which I connected to the controll unit, so the controll unit will close the relays instead of operating the new turn signals.
If the relay is closed, it will forward 12V from the tail light to the turn signals.

But: it changed absolutely nothing. The turn signals still light up for a moment, then turn off again.
Edit: the reason why this happened is, that there the current required to operate the relay was pretty low, so there was not enough load on the control unit. Artificially increasing the drawn current with a 27ohm resistor parallel to the relay fixed this issue.

Low & Mean apparently has some "stepz relays" to fix this issue, but they wanna charge me $99 for shipping.
http://lowandmean.com/product/2015-and-newer/

Also, I'd like to understand what the actual problem is...

Anyone got an idea whats going on there?

Kind regards

Cornerback

·
Registered
669 Posts
sucks right? same issue for me with the 2015. I ended up with two relays from L&M that came with the bottom triple tree lightbar. One was the steperz relay and the other came from streetglow (it was a dual element relay) AND I still had to hook them up to a constant power source for running light functionality but in the end it does work (and is an awful mess of wires). I ended up wiring in my fork wrap around turn signals and it all continued to work too.

edit - that annoying flasher control unit confused the **** out of me when I first got in there expecting to find a relay in its place :( , made for a much longer and more arduous process

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sucks right? same issue for me with the 2015. I ended up with two relays from L&M that came with the bottom triple tree lightbar. One was the steperz relay and the other came from streetglow (it was a dual element relay) AND I still had to hook them up to a constant power source for running light functionality but in the end it does work (and is an awful mess of wires). I ended up wiring in my fork wrap around turn signals and it all continued to work too.

edit - that annoying flasher control unit confused the **** out of me when I first got in there expecting to find a relay in its place :( , made for a much longer and more arduous process
How does the Stepz relay work? hook the relay to the oem turn signal wires and also to a constant power source and the plus of the new turn signal?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would pay for shipping from Germany... to France :D

I'll be changing my lignts in a few weeks, maybe I'll contact you for some advice then, if you're ok with it !

·
Registered
669 Posts
very nice! I have never been able to immerse myself into that degree of electronic wizardry, maybe its time? But yeah, folks would definitely pay you rather than $100 shipped from L&M or Radiantz.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
very nice! I have never been able to immerse myself into that degree of electronic wizardry, maybe its time? But yeah, folks would definitely pay you rather than $100 shipped from L&M or Radiantz.
With the schematic provided and many, many resources on the web this is easier than you think. Figure out how standard relays work first and then proceed from there.
You are basically using a 5V relay to do the switching of a 12V power source.
Totally baffled why Mother Yamaha used the 5V leds since there are hundreds of quality 12V leds out there to choose from. I've never had a vehicle that had multiple voltages and a long time ago motorcycles converted from 6 volts to 12 volts to get in line with everyone else.
Inside their black box they are stepping down the voltage for whatever reason. Glad I have a 2012 since converting to the CD dynamic rings etc. was pretty much plug-n-play...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the schematic provided and many, many resources on the web this is easier than you think. Figure out how standard relays work first and then proceed from there.
You are basically using a 5V relay to do the switching of a 12V power source.
Totally baffled why Mother Yamaha used the 5V leds since there are hundreds of quality 12V leds out there to choose from. I've never had a vehicle that had multiple voltages and a long time ago motorcycles converted from 6 volts to 12 volts to get in line with everyone else.
Inside their black box they are stepping down the voltage for whatever reason. Glad I have a 2012 since converting to the CD dynamic rings etc. was pretty much plug-n-play...
I just found out that using low voltage turn signals seems to be a new trend on newer bikes. No idea why. Maybe because the microcontrollers which they seem to use instead of oldschool-relays can't handle 12V?

Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe they just wanna **** with us or stop us from getting aftermarket-parts...

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Things will be slightly different from this video since it is for a 12V relay but the gist is the same. The OP will have to confirm but I believe he put (2) 5V relays in to make the turns work. Each would be installed inline into the current turn signal wiring. By that I mean for each side you cut the turn signal wires for each side, then wire in the relay and connect the 12V relay output to the aftermarket 12V turns. Little bit of wiring and you need to be sure it is all tucked away and made as waterproof as possible.
Reference the schematic posted earlier and it will hopefully make sense.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Things will be slightly different from this video since it is for a 12V relay but the gist is the same. The OP will have to confirm but I believe he put (2) 5V relays in to make the turns work. Each would be installed inline into the current turn signal wiring. By that I mean for each side you cut the turn signal wires for each side, then wire in the relay and connect the 12V relay output to the aftermarket 12V turns. Little bit of wiring and you need to be sure it is all tucked away and made as waterproof as possible.
Reference the schematic posted earlier and it will hopefully make sense.
Correct :) I used one 5V relay for each turn signal. I got some adapters for the OEM-harness-connectors, so I dont have to cut any wires, however.

Tucking this away was actually the biggest problem, as I use the (cut off) stock plastic thing which mounts under the fender, and the space is pretty narrow between the plastic and the fender.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts