Yamaha Star Stryker banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update:

The custom built relays are still doing fine. No issues etc.

The only annoying thing about them is the amount of extra wiring you have to hide somewhere.

I also covered the relays with hot glue to protect them from moisture and make them more shock resistant. Seems to work out fine, you just can't modify them anymore if they break down. Then again, they are so cheap you can just build some new ones if they break.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update:

The custom built relays are still doing fine. No issues etc.

The only annoying thing about them is the amount of extra wiring you have to hide somewhere.

I also covered the relays with hot glue to protect them from moisture and make them more shock resistant. Seems to work out fine, you just can't modify them anymore if they break down. Then again, they are so cheap you can just build some new ones if they break.
What type of relays are you using?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Relay specs are in the picture in this post:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually got it running now :)

I just created my own relays for each turn signal:
Hi Cornerback, thank you for your post! I hope you could help me with an issue: I just change the OEM back lights to Kuryakyn torpedo. I cut the harness under the seat, splitting the green and brown wires, and solder two 5V relay with a 33ohm 0.5W resistor there (that was a resistor I had in hand). I wired them just as in your schematic: Green/brown (5V L & R) to coil, black(ground) to coil, blue(12V) to switch, Green/Brown going back to light(12V) to the switch.

Left side works perfectly: Running light, brake light and turn light: No issues here. But right side, with exactly the same configuration, is not working. The 5V from the signal control unit seems to be unable to activate the coil (I hear a quiet "click" compared with the loud one on the left relay). What is funny is that in the morning the relay works fine, but if I left the turn signal on for a time, it loses sync wit the other three, goes faster until it stop turning on. I even though that I had fried the signal control unit, but today in the morning, the relay works for a time.

My multimeter is not very good, and the voltage I measure on the 5V wire goes up to 4.5V (and then goes up and down to 1V as I guess my meter needs a constant signal). But the relay just click quietly and does not close the switch.

My knowledge on electrics is limited so any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Hi Cornerback, thank you for your post! I hope you could help me with an issue: I just change the OEM back lights to Kuryakyn torpedo. I cut the harness under the seat, splitting the green and brown wires, and solder two 5V relay with a 33ohm 0.5W resistor there (that was a resistor I had in hand). I wired them just as in your schematic: Green/brown (5V L & R) to coil, black(ground) to coil, blue(12V) to switch, Green/Brown going back to light(12V) to the switch.

Left side works perfectly: Running light, brake light and turn light: No issues here. But right side, with exactly the same configuration, is not working. The 5V from the signal control unit seems to be unable to activate the coil (I hear a quiet "click" compared with the loud one on the left relay). What is funny is that in the morning the relay works fine, but if I left the turn signal on for a time, it loses sync wit the other three, goes faster until it stop turning on. I even though that I had fried the signal control unit, but today in the morning, the relay works for a time.

My multimeter is not very good, and the voltage I measure on the 5V wire goes up to 4.5V (and then goes up and down to 1V as I guess my meter needs a constant signal). But the relay just click quietly and does not close the switch.

My knowledge on electrics is limited so any help will be appreciated.
Could be just a bad relay. Slight hassle but switch the working 1 to the non-working side and see if that corrects the problem. If so - bad relay, if not - wiring issue somewhere...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could be just a bad relay. Slight hassle but switch the working 1 to the non-working side and see if that corrects the problem. If so - bad relay, if not - wiring issue somewhere...
Thanks... I checked the relay with an external 5V source and switches ok, so the issue must be on the Stryker's 5V or a combination of both. The wire I'm using connects directly to the flasher unit so there is not a lot of wire I can check. Measuring the voltage directly on the pin of the conector at the beginning of the harness gave the same results as on my wire on the relay.

I don't know if it is important or not, but the coil on my relay is 60 ohms while cornerback uses one around 120 ohms. That plus 33 (on my case) is lower than on the schematic ... So, could it be that the total resistance on my system is not high enough? (I will change the resistor to a 100 ohms, but I don't want to burn a USD$200 signal controller unit)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got it! If somebody else is having a similar issue as me, the resistor value does matter. My relay is 5V but I never check the coil resistance. It is 60 ohms instead cornerback's 125. I changed the resistor to a 100 ohm and I now have around 40 ohms on the relay that seems to do the magic. Right light is in sync with the others when turning on my own mod for Hazard lights and didn't seem to fade out. I don't know if that make sense at all, but at least it is working for me.

What I still does not understand is how the left side is working ok with a 33 ohm resistor.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Got it! If somebody else is having a similar issue as me, the resistor value does matter. My relay is 5V but I never check the coil resistance. It is 60 ohms instead cornerback's 125. I changed the resistor to a 100 ohm and I now have around 40 ohms on the relay that seems to do the magic. Right light is in sync with the others when turning on my own mod for Hazard lights and didn't seem to fade out. I don't know if that make sense at all, but at least it is working for me.

What I still does not understand is how the left side is working ok with a 33 ohm resistor.
Glad you got it fixed and thank you for updating thread so others can follow/find later.

As to your question on why 1 side works and the other doesn't: Only further testing would give you the true answer and even then maybe never. If you were pretty close to tolerances, just a slightly cold solder etc. could mess things up. Also, resistors might be varying more than what you think(unless you already tested). Electricity LOVES to take the path of least resistance!! People test the crap out of the Positive/Hot side and forget about ground/neutral. The full loop/circuit matters. When weird things happen when you flip a switch it is often a bad ground/return and, thus, back-feeding another circuit.

Finally: Ohms Law is critical to doing any slightly more complex wiring like this. Not exciting or a conversation starter but knowledge of it will save your bacon sooner or later or at least stop you from pulling out your hair and throwing tools all over the garage!!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts