Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure this has been brought up time and time again.
I have a 2014 Stryker and just put the cobra slip on. I want to add a spike air cleaner. Will I need a tuner and what is the best way to add a spike cleaner..ie cut the stock housing and adapt a Harley cleaner or do they make a bolt on cleaner for stryker

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe Low and Mean makes one.
Force Winder as well but I don't think there's is a spike.
Probably some other brands as well. Do a search on this site.
I have an EJK tuner for sale in classifieds if interested? $100

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd suggest skipping the tuner. You shouldnt have a hard time modifying an HD spike if you feel comfortable with that type of work. Instead of the tuner, just wait till your off season and send your ECU to ivan and get him to flash it. You'll notice a nice change when you put on a high flow intake. Our Strykers benefit a ton from the extra air.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2014 Stryker and just put the cobra slip on. I want to add a spike air cleaner. Will I need a tuner and what is the best way to add a spike cleaner..ie cut the stock housing and adapt a Harley cleaner or do they make a bolt on cleaner for stryker
I followed one of the posts here on how to manufacture one from the stock airbox. Spent @$75 for all the parts. Yes, you will want to put a tuner on it after you put on an open air cleaner with your slip ons (see my for sale post for pics of how it looks)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I followed one of the posts here on how to manufacture one from the stock airbox. Spent @$75 for all the parts. Yes, you will want to put a tuner on it after you put on an open air cleaner with your slip ons (see my for sale post for pics of how it looks)
Can I ask your reasoning for needing a tuner over an ECU flash?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can I ask your reasoning for needing a tuner over an ECU flash?
I did both. I got Ivan's ECU reimage. He recommends the fuel tuner even with his reimage. Helps to smooth things out and eliminate popping at deceleration from the improved airflow in and out. I am happy with the end result. Much more power and responsiveness. I would say, find out from whoever you choose to do a reimage, what they suggest. A good reimage, should be done with consideration of your individual set up. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did both. I got Ivan's ECU reimage. He recommends the fuel tuner even with his reimage. Helps to smooth things out and eliminate popping at deceleration from the improved airflow in and out. I am happy with the end result. Much more power and responsiveness. I would say, find out from whoever you choose to do a reimage, what they suggest. A good reimage, should be done with consideration of your individual set up. Hope that helps.
Or you could just buy mine and have a bike with all that already done. 😁😁

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
1,008 Posts
Ivan had an update couple years back for the Stryker that eliminated the need for a fuel programmer. It’s free just have to send ECU back in.

To the OP: you should get a fuel programmer or send Ivan your ECU if you change both air intake and exhaust. The latter is the best option as it fixes more than just fuel delivery. You can read here>> Ivan's Performance Products A lot of guys have made their own out of stock box, but there are kits out there. It all depends on how much you want to spend, how mechanically inclined you are, do you want a clean look or not. Some kits are like $500-700. SS Custom Cycle - Motorcycle Parts - Your Ride, Your Style.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ivan had an update couple years back for the Stryker that eliminated the need for a fuel programmer. It’s free just have to send ECU back in.

To the OP: you should get a fuel programmer or send Ivan your ECU if you change both air intake and exhaust. The latter is the best option as it fixes more than just fuel delivery. You can read here>> Ivan's Performance Products A lot of guys have made their own out of stock box, but there are kits out there. It all depends on how much you want to spend, how mechanically inclined you are, do you want a clean look or not. Some kits are like $500-700. SS Custom Cycle - Motorcycle Parts - Your Ride, Your Style.
Thanks for the heads-up about Ivan's update. Will have to look into that. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 with a Cobra Slipon. I also have a Cobra high volume air filter. I put a Power Commander module on and it runs great. However, an excellent technician told me that the stock chip "could do a lot". I found out that that Power Commander does nothing in a control box where you spend 95% of your time. I would try it with the stock chip and see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts