Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Any Corner Carvers out There? Post up your Pegs

5K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  mikoloe 
#1 ·
Anyone else have pegs like mine? I LOVE the twisties but sometimes 20mph is as fast as you can take a Stryker around a hairpin turn. These things are boats in comparison. You can see where I've ground my frame. I don't recommend that one though. High-siding can ruin anyone's day.

Post up yours if they've shown some use and abuse!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I use my heel to tell me when I'm close (scraping the peg unexpectedly can be nerve racking... lol) Then I'll usually hold it just at the point of scraping lightly (to hopefully save my pegs from having to be replaced in a year). I came from an R6 so leaning it that far is barely scratching the surface to what I used to do.

I did manage to scrape a bit of frame last year on the MotoGP Indianapolis track. My wife got me a track lap pass so myself with the wife on the back, and my buddy both did a lap. That was pretty awesome... but I definitely left some of my bike on the track. lol.
Here's a couple videos of the fun / carnage (not horrible, but they were the first scratches on the bike. But if I were to get them from anywhere, I'd prefer it to be there!) Don't mind my slightly un-manish commentary / noises. I was pretty excited over the whole thing... lol.

#6 ·
No, nothing on the Go Pro. I tested it the day before, charged up the battery, but come 'show' time it decided that it no longer wanted to work. Luckily my wife had the hand-held. It was just a parade lap thing but the speed was plenty. I had to slow down a bit as it was on the corners... I could only scrape so much of the frame without losing the rear end... lol.

#8 ·
^ actually with all this talk about progressive springs lately, I'm really considering picking some up. The problem I experienced was when cornering, if there was a bump in the middle of the turn, the bike would dip and the frame would end up scraping. Kind of a "butt puckering" moment if you know what I mean.

#10 ·
Progressive springs are softer at first and progressively get stiffer with more weight or stress. For example a 25/50 rate spring takes 25 lbs to compress the first inch, 28 lbs for the 2nd inch etc. until the final inch of spring is eventually compressed by 50 lbs of force. This is good for soft cushy cruisers.

Progressive springs are ideal for casual cruisers and sport-touring motorcycles. Progressive springs aren't generally recommended for high-performance street riders who execute aggressive braking and cornering. Progressive springs are not commonly seen in competitive road racing arenas since racers depend on suspension feedback with more predictable behavior.

#9 ·
WOW, that is some impressive scraping. I have scraped a the same areas but not to that extent lol

#11 ·
Judging by the steep angle of the wear on your peg, you could get more lean if you let your peg flex.:nod:

#19 ·
What do you disagree with?

I can see you have folded your pegs a few times from the marks on the bottom of the mount and portion of the peg closest to the pin. Let me show you what I'm talking about. The difference from where it scraps at full lean angle compared to grinding just the tip of the peg is considerable. If you don't push down on your peg and let it fold up it scrapes on the back of the peg all the way to the tip at a different angle than if you only scrape the tip.
In the pic you can see different degrees of angle on the tip/ Once you get down to max and hit the bottom of the mount it pushes the peg up and you don't even touch the tip any more. you can also see that I have scraped the end of the bolt and some of the nut of too.
Also scrape the exhaust pipe mount if you hit the slightest bump at max lean angle. I've repainted the black many times.

#25 ·
I have hit my frame 2 times. My wife doesn't understand, but it is not good when it is on the Tail of the Dragon :(. I prob wont do that road again (going down) atleast.

#26 ·
I have hit my frame 2 times. My wife doesn't understand, but it is not good when it is on the Tail of the Dragon :(. I prob wont do that road again (going down) atleast.
Oh, you will do it again. This year. :D Maybe you should stiffen the shock before going to the Rally this year. Might help with riding two up. :nod:

#27 ·
Originally Posted by Nogard

Oh, you will do it again. This year. :D Maybe you should stiffen the shock before going to the Rally this year. Might help with riding two up. :nod: __________________

Yeah Nogard, they sell a little blue pill if you need help. and don't forget the condoms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.