Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
First off I tried to do a topic earlier and it closed out so if there's a double entry forgive me.

So here's the issue, last year I purchased a barons tach for my 2014 Stryker. After it was all hooked up I noticed a lot of bouncing unless she's under load. It just won't stay steady! I managed to get it to stay steady once by hooking it up to just one of the coils but it spit me out half the rpm reading. Im using the adapter and followed the instructions perfectly and double checked and triple checked all my grounds and wiring. The only reason I have the tach is to keep a eye on my rpms on the highway so she doesn't over rev for some reason. It is manageable with the bounce but annoying.

She is idling at 1200 rpm, not sure if that's normal or not.

She has freedom performance short radius pipes, no baffles, and a cobra auto tuner. I didn't want to spend money on another adapter to be honest unless I was sure it would fix the problem. Can someone point me in the right direction here? Anything I can try besides a new adapter?

·
8,693 Posts
I have the Barons for 3 years now. Needle bounces when at steady cruise. No fix for it. Idle is at 1000rpm. Don't have to worry about overreving. This bike has a rev limiter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Barons for 3 years now. Needle bounces when at steady cruise. No fix for it. Idle is at 1000rpm. Don't have to worry about overreving. This bike has a rev limiter.
Thanks for the info, I do have a solution, if running on one coil gives half the amount of rpm then why not make a face for the gauge that compensates for it.
What I mean is scale up the numbers on the gauge from the coil 2:1, so it reads right, and holds steady. No need for a adaptor.
Let me know if you think this would work.
I hope you guys understand what I mean

·
8,693 Posts
Thanks for the info, I do have a solution, if running on one coil gives half the amount of rpm then why not make a face for the gauge that compensates for it.
What I mean is scale up the numbers on the gauge from the coil 2:1, so it reads right, and holds steady. No need for a adaptor.
Let me know if you think this would work.
I hope you guys understand what I mean
Smart Idea. I would buy one from you if you get it figured out.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I thought there were devices that double the reading. Might look into that.
Lots of chatter on the Raider forum with the bouncing and not much resolution.
As for the grounds, I'd see if you could double check that Baron's ground at the tach is 100% and not fouled by chrome/powder coat...

Really odd that this cannot be figured out by Baron's IMO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought there were devices that double the reading. Might look into that.
Lots of chatter on the Raider forum with the bouncing and not much resolution.
As for the grounds, I'd see if you could double check that Baron's ground at the tach is 100% and not fouled by chrome/powder coat...

Really odd that this cannot be figured out by Baron's IMO
I'll have to check again but I'm pretty sure I'm running it right to the battery negative, ive yet to find once person who has one with zero bounce, unless it's running on one coil, maybe you can point me in the direction of one of these double up devices

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys...
I have a 2015 Yamaha Raider which I installed a Barons Tach, with the Barons single fire adapter. I had the same type of problem with needle bounce. I soldered everything, no crimp connections, tried using a toroid...no help. I sent a video to Barons and they said they only see about a 300RPM bounce, which is acceptable...really???
After reading through a bunch of forums and posts (not just motorcycle specific) I found some information about the Split Second TA2-100 Tach adapter. I installed it on my Raider, and have not had any issues since.
I did have a couple of problems after install, I had it next to the coils at first but it would get too hot and become unstable, so I installed it under the seat and now my tach is rock steady.

You can look up the info on this site - TA2-100 Tach Adapter |.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts