Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best air intake kit for power gains? I saw a youtube video of a stryker with drilled pipes and arlen ness air intake making 79hp and 79ftlb without a autotuner or power commander, but I also like the baron big air kit as its more narrow for my highway pegs. Any opinions or testimonials on what you have and what power gains you got. I currently have drilled pipes but will probably not get a auto tuner for another year or so.

·
Registered
357 Posts
kingofleon said:
What's the best air intake kit for power gains? I saw a youtube video of a stryker with drilled pipes and arlen ness air intake making 79hp and 79ftlb without a autotuner or power commander, but I also like the baron big air kit as its more narrow for my highway pegs. Any opinions or testimonials on what you have and what power gains you got. I currently have drilled pipes but will probably not get a auto tuner for another year or so.
Great question! here is the video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ8N2R5Y06w

Wish there was a little more info from this guy, but it is intriguing to say the least.
Hopefully some of this forums members have some insight for us.

·
2,673 Posts
I've heard that the Cobra PowrFlo Air Intake System offers some pretty nice gains

·
Registered
279 Posts
kingofleon said:
Are your pipes drilled and do you have a autotuner?
Pipes are drilled. I havent installed the tuner yet. I am just a Newbie at the DIY stuff so I am a little nervous. I want to get help from someone with experience.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I question is that i've heard you can do either exhaust or intake without a tuner but if you do both you HAVE to add a tuner to compensate for the increased air flow thru the entire system. I'm trying to determine if this is true because I have the drilled pipes and I won't waste my money on an air intake if I won't be able to install it without a autotuner

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a fi2000r non-auto tune programmer and also V&H Twin Slashes that Im waiting to install on mine, if I choose to get a intake kit will riding in the rain affect it at all? What are the pros and cons of an intake like the Barons Smooth Big Air kit?

Hi again to all, Im new here :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Welcome.
You have many options. Use the search to look up BAK, big air kit, LA customs, Cobra, etc. There are lots to choose from and a few threads to look at. I also suggest looking at the date of the posts for how relavent they will be. A little rain won't hurt unless you are pour water on it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i have the LA Choppers XXX intake and love it and i have rode in the rain even heavy down poors with no problem just need to clean and oil the filter as recommended

·
Registered
186 Posts
There is also a DIY thread for the air intake mod. It works very well and looks great in my opinion. If your bike happens to be red, I have both filters (air and crank case)you would need to do the mod. The filters are Red/Chrome.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Not sure what your goal is on info but I'll put in my two cents;
I like what Cobra has for the Stryker. I put on the exposed air filter rather then the one that has the cover. It has air intake noise that reminds me of my brothers Super Bee.(the cover will stop that)
Used the 4" slip-on that has a nice low rumble as I had gotten tired of the loud short pipes from my last bike.
then added their tuner.
Had the bike dyno'd lately
Stock
68hp
75tq

After mods
79hp
82tq

·
Registered
253 Posts
I added the Cobra Powerflow with and ECU reflash by Ivan. No fuel tuner needed. Better power gains and drivability than a fuel tuner.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have a fi2000r non-auto tune programmer and also V&H Twin Slashes that Im waiting to install on mine, if I choose to get a intake kit will riding in the rain affect it at all? What are the pros and cons of an intake like the Barons Smooth Big Air kit?

Hi again to all, Im new here :)
regarding riding in the rain there are rain covers for a lot of the exposed air filter kits.
I found mine at JP Cycle
It works well when you want to wash bike also.

·
Registered
749 Posts
regarding riding in the rain there are rain covers for a lot of the exposed air filter kits.
I found mine at JP Cycle
It works well when you want to wash bike also.
i looked for a rain cover but cant find one that fits and since yours is about the same as mine what part number did you get.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts