Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

Crazy question, rode hard at twisties here in Ontario Canada and everytime I stopped for gas (every 150km) the bike would not start back up and i had to wait a min or 2 and then try again, it kept choking kinda sound and then i would twist the throttle and boom it would start. Every single time we stopped.

oddly enough had a friend on the WARRIOR and he had the same issue but his bike has like cobra exhaust and filter but mine is STOCK.

tried this morning and boom bike started right up, no issue. not sure whats going here?any clue? or has it happened to anyone else?

Note: 2013 Stryker with just under 6000 Kms.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
855 Posts
Maybe dirty air filter? Only thing that came to mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it was bad gas it would be noticable while riding as well not just when starting. Are both of you having the same problem at the same time?

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
855 Posts
Only thing else that I can think of is fuel pump or bad gas cap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your using cheap gas.
So that’s possible as we both filled up at a small town that just had regular gas . But just checked with my buddy he was having that issue before we started our ride that morning . So I would strike it out .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only thing else that I can think of is fuel pump or bad gas cap.
Interesting, again another possibility but how can to different rides have similar issue ?
I also read that there could be a kick stand switch issues . Very common with warriors and stykers?

going riding again Tomm will check and advise back

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
855 Posts
Interesting, again another possibility but how can to different rides have similar issue ?
I also read that there could be a kick stand switch issues . Very common with warriors and stykers?

going riding again Tomm will check and advise back
Im not sure about the kickstand thing, as it would kill power to starter relay you would have lights but no starter engage. If memory serves me well.
The gas cap (which lets air in) and or a plugged tank vent ( self explanatory) could cause vapor lock. Awww crap wait you said you stopped and got gas so obviously the cap was removed so venting happened. I’m out of ideas right now. 😶

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not sure about the kickstand thing, as it would kill power to starter relay you would have lights but no starter engage. If memory serves me well.
The gas cap (which lets air in) and or a plugged tank vent ( self explanatory) could cause vapor lock. Awww crap wait you said you stopped and got gas so obviously the cap was removed so venting happened. I’m out of ideas right now. 😶
some here;s the update. every-time we stopped for GAS i waited, till I took the nozzle off and then unlocked the gas cap and pumped gas and then immediately covered it back before returning it the nozzle in its compartment. did the same think at several gas station no issue anymore.

Wat i was doing earlier; remove gas cap take off gloves, helmet, then take the nozzle pump gas, return nozzle, close gas cap. hence air was getting sucked in the gas tank. logical ?not sure but solved the problem,

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
855 Posts
Weird, my cap is the last thing I do before putting my gloves back on when getting gas. Never an issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It sounds like you had a clogged injector maybe and it may have cleared on its own. Vapor lock is generally caused from a loose cap while the motor is running or running it low or completely out of gas allowing the fuel pump to suck air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts