Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Bought a friend for my Stryker, 2014 Star Bolt

13K views 54 replies 26 participants last post by  toby 
#1 ·
Bought my wife a 2014 White Pearl Star Bolt for Mother's Day. This is a fun bike to ride.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sweet. Wonderful gift. I hope my wife doesn't find out!

#15 ·
The dealer got their 1st order of Bolts (3) in the showroom the day we bought ours. 1 had already sold to a girl earlier in the day & a girl was looking to buy the remaining Bolt when we left. The dealer sold 25 bikes that day.

This was the 7th bike we've (including my sons) purchased from the same sales person in the last 3 years.
It's easy being a good husband since I have a great wife & friend, our 26th anv is next week.

#23 ·
Hey all. New to the forum here, I do not own the bike (yet) but wanted to ask some questions.

I currently have a Suzuki Marauder VZ800 and looking to sell it to buy either the Yamaha Stryker or the Bolt.

I test rode the Bolt a few weeks back and fell in love with it. I couldn't get a second demo ride to try the Stryker because it was all full. I was at a demo event. I love the look of both bikes but the Bolt was very nimble and easy for me to handle. I'm a lean guy, 5'8" and 150lbs... The Stryker looks like a lot bigger bike and longer too, was wondering if I'd look dumb on it and if it would be difficult to handle from the Bolt?

I'm currently up in the air between both bikes. Any advice would be appreciative ;p

#24 ·
Hey all. New to the forum here, I do not own the bike (yet) but wanted to ask some questions.

I currently have a Suzuki Marauder VZ800 and looking to sell it to buy either the Yamaha Stryker or the Bolt.

I test rode the Bolt a few weeks back and fell in love with it. I couldn't get a second demo ride to try the Stryker because it was all full. I was at a demo event. I love the look of both bikes but the Bolt was very nimble and easy for me to handle. I'm a lean guy, 5'8" and 150lbs... The Stryker looks like a lot bigger bike and longer too, was wondering if I'd look dumb on it and if it would be difficult to handle from the Bolt?

I'm currently up in the air between both bikes. Any advice would be appreciative ;p
Buy the Stryker. No, its not difficult to handle at your height and weight. I am only 2" taller and close to that weight, and a female. I use to own a Honda 750 Shadow. I think you would be much happier to own the Stryker.

#25 ·
Congrats mr. Monte, I saw that V&H make a exhaust for it, I hear it sounds good. Give it a year or two and she just might "barrow" your stryker ;) Teewuz, I have a Suzuki s50 which is close to the marauder, same motor, and I upgraded to the stryker. I was looking at the bolt but wanted more of a cruiser. Handling wise the stryker isn't as nimble as the Suzuki but the stryker will out perform it.

#29 ·
I was really interested in the Bolt, that was the whole reason I went to the demo to try it out because I was seriously looking at the Harley Iron 883 but when I read about the Bolt, I wanted to try it out for myself. When I got to the event, I noticed an awesome looking bike, the Stryker, it caught my eyes, but when I the guys how many cc it was, 1300, it scared me a bit since I only started riding back in June of this year, which really puts me at about 4 months of riding but actually, I only ride on weekends as I work weekdays and its late by the time I get out.

Only thing I didn't like about the Bolt was that it had mid mounts, but of course I could always add forward controls, and also it didn't have a reserve so I didn't like that; not to mention it gets hot at red lights on the left jug; how does your wife feel about those things I just mentioned? Or better yet, how do you feel when you rode it?

I'm a NY'er so I ride city and suburbs a lot but still would like to go out on nice 100+ mile trips for some nice roads, not sure if the Bolt can last that long without filling up. How's the Stryker on the mileage/gas?

#44 ·
Only thing I didn't like about the Bolt was that it had mid mounts, but of course I could always add forward controls, and also it didn't have a reserve so I didn't like that; not to mention it gets hot at red lights on the left jug; how does your wife feel about those things I just mentioned? Or better yet, how do you feel when you rode it?

I'm a NY'er so I ride city and suburbs a lot but still would like to go out on nice 100+ mile trips for some nice roads, not sure if the Bolt can last that long without filling up. How's the Stryker on the mileage/gas?
The low fuel light on the Bolt & Stryker act as a reserve tank without having to turn a knob. Leaves you with about 1 gal of fuel.

The Bolt does get warm in traffic. I go 100-130 miles between fill up on the Bolt, 130-165 miles on the Stryker but have gone over 200 miles/tank on the Stryker (hwy only).

My Wife doesn't like the seating position on the Stryker but her previous bikes in order were Rebel 250, Ninja 650, FZ1 (1000cc 150hp) & now Bolt.

I have fun on the Bolt for short trips only but my knees & back feel it. I can ride my Stryker all day & feel fine.

I get mid 50s mpg on the Bolt & low 40s mpg on the Stryker with mixed riding. Hwy only add 10mpg for each.

#33 ·
Hey Patrice- You have nice posture while riding the bike. You don't slouch like us Old Guys!! LOL Seriously you look great on and off of the bike. One of the girls taking the MC riding course rode the same way. Looked like she had been riding all her life.

#36 ·
teewunz, I have a Stryker and my wife has a Bolt. The bolt is an awesome little cruiser. The keyword here is little. It really is designed for smaller stature folks. I have ridden it a handful of times and at 5' 6-7" ish I find the Stryker to be much more comfortable for me. My wife is 5' 4" and the bolt fits her like a glove. The motor sizes are fairly similar, if you can handle a 950cc you can handle a 1300cc. Yes the Bolt handles slow speed manuvers much easier out of the box because it is smaller but with practice you will be a pro on the Stryker. I don't think you will go wrong with either but although the bolt is a great bike that handles even better, thinking you may get cramped on it at 5'8". Definitely test ride the Stryker before making your final decision.

#38 ·
Test rode the Bolt at Demo event this past weekend. Completely different bikes. The Bolt IMO was a fun little around town bike. Light weight, easy to flick around and very quick. In fact I think with its HP to weight ratio it will easily go toe to toe with Stryker on a 0-60. I have no evidence other than seat of the pants dyno. The riding position is was killed it for me. The riding position was reminiscent of camping memories and squatting in the woods. In fact I started to cramp up as we left the parking lot. I love our legs out front riding position. So much more comfortable for any distance. We also recently had a new forum member join who got a Stryker after trading his Bolt for only a few months. Test ride the Stryker before you make decision. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.