Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Do you think the Can-Am Spyder is a motorcycle?

Can-Am Spyder

7K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  roger 
#1 ·
These aren't motorcycles and they shouldn't be able to use them for the motorcycle test. There is a big difference between 2 and 3 wheels. ;D

#4 ·
Been looking at those, thinking about picking one ... in about 60 years .... when I can't balance a motorcycle anymore :eek:

#10 ·
Well here i'am gang i can answer your questions because i have one. Let me begin by saying these are nothing like motorcycles accept for the engine and throttle. BRP markets these as roadster's and yes you can take your road test on them in New York state if you test on 2 wheels you can drive both 2 and 3 wheels if you test on a three you are limited to just 3 wheels. Yes its fast 0-60 4.5 seconds. I will see if i can post my you tube video here.
Most of the video shows my lights i installed in my bags and the turn signals,brake lights under the seat also the plate bracket. its not the video i was thinking of too show you but the one i wanted you to see i have not uploaded to you tube cause it takes so long. Yes i added all the lights on the bike even the ones on the front fender and the ones under the front A arms. enjoy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMY_2xtK3e4&feature=colike

#11 ·
Roger, Do you have any difficulty switching between the Spyder and bike? I rode a friend's for a period of time, and did not like the fact that it does not lean nor counter steer. Other than that, it was a blast to ride, and I didn't have to worry about it falling over if I forgot the kickstand ;D

#13 ·
I do not like those. But I have to say that some of those trike are more powerful than any cruisers ... but not as much as Sportbike.

#14 ·
dliszews said:
Roger, Do you have any difficulty switching between the Spyder and bike? I rode a friend's for a period of time, and did not like the fact that it does not lean nor counter steer. Other than that, it was a blast to ride, and I didn't have to worry about it falling over if I forgot the kickstand ;D
No not really but the first time you ride it it does take about 50-100 miles to get use to it.

#15 ·
Christopher said:
I'd rock one. I'm thinking about getting a second bike for the winter months so I can sit behind a screen. I just can't do it to the stryker. :-\
I could understand that but their are advantages to the spyder like last year i was riding home from americade in lake george and it was raining hard and the guys on 2 wheels had to pull under an overpass to wait for the rain to slow down not me i just waved and blew the horn couple of them said i was number 1. lol. The other 2 advantages are you stay warmer on cooler rides and you can relax more on the spyder.

#16 ·
Frag said:
I do not like those. But I have to say that some of those trike are more powerful than any cruisers ... but not as much as Sportbike.
Well yes and no in a drag race i will beat any sport bike off the line but eventually he will catch up and pass me depending on how long the track is. The aftermarket for these things is awesome i changed out bar in the front i can take a turn fast than a sport bike. Check you tube i know their are a few spyders on their racing at the track.

#21 ·
Visionary said:
I was told in NY, you can take the test on it (Can-Am) but you are restricted to 3 wheels. However if you take the test on a Trike you get your full license because the rear wheels on a Trike are considered accessories...
NO, NY says you take it on 3 wheels thats all you are allowed. Take it on 2 you can ride both. I say take it on 2 then decide for yourself.

#22 ·
These are definitely not motorcycles. They were actually first created by Bombardier (sub company now Can Am) a snowmobile manufacturer up here in Canada. If you look at them they are very similar to snowmobiles, except skies are replaced by two wheels and the track is replaced by a large centre wheel.

If you can't balance your motorcycle anymore, then its a great way to still enjoy the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.