Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first mod: drilling the center baffle for a better exhaust note. I've only rode it once and new this had to be done right away. I took a sound recording of the sound before and after for anyone wanting to know the sound difference. Used my phone located at roughly rider head level. Sounds better in person...

I've read about and watched youtube vids of people modifying their baffles, but I didn't see much regarding drilling the center only. I used a 7/8" bi-metal hole saw (1" was too tight and I didn't want to risk it getting stuck) on a 10" extension, put it down the center hole until it hit the inner baffle and drilled. I did the bottom first and listened to it, but it wasn't enough and did the top.

The result is a deeper throatier sound and only a little bit more volume. It is a much better note and this is the way it should have come from factory.

I also used a sound meter app on my phone. From rider head level, idle was around 75dB and revving brought it up to about 85dB for stock set up. When drilled, the idle was still around 75dB, and revving brought it to about 88-89dB. So only marginally louder than stock but with a better deeper tone.

I'll probably drill some 1/2" holes in the outer baffle once I create a template to keep it neat. But for now, I'm happy with the change.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I picked up the vance and hines big radius 2 into 2. Had the dealership completely remove that restrictor plate that is on the baffle but still left the baffle in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, waste of time maybe, but no wasting beer!! That would be alcohol abuse and that's not allowed!!

Nice pic of your exhaust! I'm not willing to go through that trouble with the stock exhaust. I'm saving up for Cobra Swepts, so I'll deal with some holes in the stock until then ;-)

The wife says it's not loud enough so who am I to argue :madgrin::wink:. More holes in my exhaust to come soon until the Swepts...

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Haha, waste of time maybe, but no wasting beer!! That would be alcohol abuse and that's not allowed!!

Nice pic of your exhaust! I'm not willing to go through that trouble with the stock exhaust. I'm saving up for Cobra Swepts, so I'll deal with some holes in the stock until then ;-)

The wife says it's not loud enough so who am I to argue :madgrin::wink:. More holes in my exhaust to come soon until the Swepts...

GO to my profile to see what I did with my cobra swepts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts