Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok- I got an idea from the Raider Forum about changing front pulley to a pulley with 1 less tooth to increase power to rear wheel. This will help alot especially after adding larger diameter rear tire. So I counted the teeth on the Stryker stock front pulley- 31 teeth. Called Brent at Tejas and he helped me do some research and he found and physically counted that a VStar 1300 front pulley has 30 teeth. This will give bike a -3.33% Ratio change from a Stock 2.258 Final ratio to a Modified 2.333 Final Ratio. I must mention that Brent went out of his way to help me with this. Also he checked and found that both bikes take same belt, so the length of belt should not be an issue. He was absolutly fantastic to talk with on the phone. Extremely Nice Organization he runs. So I ordered the 30 tooth front pulley from Tejas and will be installing it once I receive it. Next will be getting nice enough weather to ride Bike on saltless! roads to try this out. Part Number for the VStar 1300 front pulley is 3D8-17651-00-00. All Star motorcycles come with 70 tooth rear pulleys except Raider which has 66 teeth. You would have to have more teeth than stock on rear pulley to achieve same results, but only rear pulleys available are for a HD and have to be Modified to work on Star Rear Wheel.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Brent, I found that the Disc side grease seal on PM wheel was not installed to proper depth in wheel and that was my problem. I just drove it in to where it seated and all was good. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it. Take Care!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Man are you reading my mind I was just thinking of this while riding today I've done the same on my previous sport bike awhile back and liked the results. Hey Brent keep one in stock for me after 11stryker post the results if its better since your my dealership and I'm 10 miles from ya ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
11Stryker said:
Ok- I got an idea from the Raider Forum about changing front pulley to a pulley with 1 less tooth to increase power to rear wheel. This will help alot especially after adding larger diameter rear tire. So I counted the teeth on the Stryker stock front pulley- 31 teeth. Called Brent at Tejas and he helped me do some research and he found and physically counted that a VStar 1300 front pulley has 30 teeth. This will give bike a -3.33% Ratio change from a Stock 2.258 Final ratio to a Modified 2.333 Final Ratio. I must mention that Brent went out of his way to help me with this. Also he checked and found that both bikes take same belt, so the length of belt should not be an issue. He was absolutly fantastic to talk with on the phone. Extremely Nice Organization he runs. So I ordered the 30 tooth front pulley from Tejas and will be installing it once I receive it. Next will be getting nice enough weather to ride Bike on saltless! roads to try this out. Part Number for the VStar 1300 front pulley is 3D8-17651-00-00. All Star motorcycles come with 70 tooth rear pulleys except Raider which has 66 teeth. You would have to have more teeth than stock on rear pulley to achieve same results, but only rear pulleys available are for a HD and have to be Modified to work on Star Rear Wheel.
Great idea for more grunt off the line. You will lose a bit top end speed wise, and your motor will rev a bit more, therefore using a tad more gas.

I have ordered a Roadliner/Stratoliner rear pulley. This has 70 teeth and is a straight swap for the 66 tooth on the Raider. However, I needed the Strat belt also, as it's apparently slightly wider.

Let the forum members know how much more power you get. Also, consider the Barnett Clutch as you may well get a slipping clutch in time, and will need to upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Stryker said:
Man are you reading my mind I was just thinking of this while riding today I've done the same on my previous sport bike awhile back and liked the results. Hey Brent keep one in stock for me after 11stryker post the results if its better since your my dealership and I'm 10 miles from ya ;D
Let me know! Also, we ride somewhere for dinner the first Thursday of every month. We leave from the shop around 6:30pm. Keep an eye on our website for details. We would love to have you come ride with us.

Brent
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevs said:
11Stryker said:
Ok- I got an idea from the Raider Forum about changing front pulley to a pulley with 1 less tooth to increase power to rear wheel. This will help alot especially after adding larger diameter rear tire. So I counted the teeth on the Stryker stock front pulley- 31 teeth. Called Brent at Tejas and he helped me do some research and he found and physically counted that a VStar 1300 front pulley has 30 teeth. This will give bike a -3.33% Ratio change from a Stock 2.258 Final ratio to a Modified 2.333 Final Ratio. I must mention that Brent went out of his way to help me with this. Also he checked and found that both bikes take same belt, so the length of belt should not be an issue. He was absolutly fantastic to talk with on the phone. Extremely Nice Organization he runs. So I ordered the 30 tooth front pulley from Tejas and will be installing it once I receive it. Next will be getting nice enough weather to ride Bike on saltless! roads to try this out. Part Number for the VStar 1300 front pulley is 3D8-17651-00-00. All Star motorcycles come with 70 tooth rear pulleys except Raider which has 66 teeth. You would have to have more teeth than stock on rear pulley to achieve same results, but only rear pulleys available are for a HD and have to be Modified to work on Star Rear Wheel.
Great idea for more grunt off the line. You will lose a bit top end speed wise, and your motor will rev a bit more, therefore using a tad more gas.
Thanks Kev, I will keep the clutch idea in mind if I run into problems. As far as top end goes- Our group rarely ever hit even 70 MPH. Me mostly ride 50 to 60 mph. Especially with the Wife ridin- She would beat me to a pulp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
Kevs said:
Great idea for more grunt off the line. You will lose a bit top end speed wise, and your motor will rev a bit more, therefore using a tad more gas.
True and it will also throw off the speedo/odometer. Although the larger tire will also do this. Run a test against GPS. I'd be curious to see the results after you have done both.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Natedog said:
Kevs said:
Great idea for more grunt off the line. You will lose a bit top end speed wise, and your motor will rev a bit more, therefore using a tad more gas.
True and it will also throw off the speedo/odometer. Although the larger tire will also do this. Run a test against GPS. I'd be curious to see the results after you have done both.
Thanks Natedog!- I will do this and post results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
I have to second the Barnett clutches.. I have used these in several bikes and had great performance out of them... truthfully... with 1 exception, I have never had to change a Barnett clutch after installing one... great quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
StrykenShane said:
My speedo was off about 5-10 mph and is now within 1-2 mph since adding the Avon 250
Upgrading to a 240 on a Raiders most say correct the speedo that is off by 5 with the OEM 210
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
bhodge said:
Stryker said:
Man are you reading my mind I was just thinking of this while riding today I've done the same on my previous sport bike awhile back and liked the results. Hey Brent keep one in stock for me after 11stryker post the results if its better since your my dealership and I'm 10 miles from ya ;D
Let me know! Also, we ride somewhere for dinner the first Thursday of every month. We leave from the shop around 6:30pm. Keep an eye on our website for details. We would love to have you come ride with us.

Brent

Yeah i've tried to make acouple of them but that is usually what time I'm getting home from work weekends would be better lol just saying 8). Lucky me that I have a great dealership. Steve ordered me a bouelvard windshield last week so i'll be swinging by sometime this week to pick it up when it comes in
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok- using tire size calculations, going from 210 to 240 changes ratio by +2.537%. going from 210 to 250 changes ratio by +3.80%. Changing front pulley from 31 teeth to 30 teeth changes ratio by -3.33%. So going with a 250 tire and 1 less tooth on front pulley- changes ratio by .47% from stock 210 tire with stock 31 tooth front pulley.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
11Stryker said:
Ok- using tire size calculations, going from 210 to 240 changes ratio by +2.537%. going from 210 to 250 changes ratio by +3.80%. Changing front pulley from 31 teeth to 30 teeth changes ratio by -3.33%. So going with a 250 tire and 1 less tooth on front pulley- changes ratio by .47% from stock 210 tire with stock 31 tooth front pulley.
Does that equate to faster acceleration and lower top end or?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What this will do for me is make ratio almost same as was stock. Also will help with faster accelleration and lower top end than if I did nothing and just stayed with stock pulley and 250 tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Hey 11, how are you liking the front pulley swap? Now that you've had some time running it, I'm curious as to how it's working out and the differences you've noticed.

Thanks.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love it all the way around. Easier starts, Better 1st gear manuevering, No chugging, I can get down to 40 in 5th and still hit throttle and go without shifting down. Other guys I ride with telling me that my speed matches theirs on speedo. I can still hit 80 in third and pretty **** quickly. I almost think this is a must for anyone with the 250 tires. Also, no problems yet with any clutch slipping. I have had front wheel off ground by only 2 inches or so for a second with a hard quick acceleration in 1st gear. HEHEHE
 

·
Hero Member
Joined
·
2,670 Posts
11Stryker said:
I love it all the way around. Easier starts, Better 1st gear manuevering, No chugging, I can get down to 40 in 5th and still hit throttle and go without shifting down. Other guys I ride with telling me that my speed matches theirs on speedo. I can still hit 80 in third and pretty **** quickly. I almost think this is a must for anyone with the 250 tires.
hmmm wonder how this would work out on the Avon 240?
 
1 - 20 of 154 Posts
Top