Yamaha Star Stryker banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Read through a forum or two couldn't find an exact answer. When swapping out the front pulley with a vstar 1300 front pulley do you need to change the rear tire to a larger diameter tire or can you keep it the same with same results? be nice I'm to this stuff.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Read through a forum or two couldn't find an exact answer. When swapping out the front pulley with a vstar 1300 front pulley do you need to change the rear tire to a larger diameter tire or can you keep it the same with same results? be nice I'm to this stuff.
Ha! Don't be afraid. We won't kill you!

No need to change the rear tire. The main point of the smaller sprocket is to increase the power without changing other things. People do change to a 240 or 250 width rear tire mainly for the look - not so much for changing performance.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
From what I read, the pulley change was to deal with some of the quirks of the bike as well like low speed chugging. The flash fixes that. I believe there are a few who have both flash and pulley. Pulley change will mess with the speedo.

·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
From what I read, the pulley change was to deal with some of the quirks of the bike as well like low speed chugging. The flash fixes that. I believe there are a few who have both flash and pulley. Pulley change will mess with the speedo.
And the 240 or 250 tire fixes speedo change that pulley makes.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
With the 30 tooth and the 240 my speedo was off by 5MPH to the fast end.
I checked with a GPS (NOT A PHONE, IT'S NOT ACCURATE ENOUGH) FKKIN CAPS LOCK...
Anyway, I bought a speedo healer and dialed mine in perfect. Money well spent.
AR, how has your experience with the flash and the 30 tooth been?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
AR, how has your experience with the flash and the 30 tooth been?
Very positive!
While I don't notice the drastic change that others, without all the mods I did to get rid of (Actually only just decrease) the bad manners this bike has from the factory... I have noticed a much smoother running, smoother shifting (because the throttle is so much less jerky) all-around improved ride.
I took one fairly long ride last weekend with my wife on the back so I can't really say I was able to get squirrely with it but I do notice a nicer, more balanced throttle.
The torque improvement is really noticeable though... Just roll the throttle on and the chugging is gone, it just grunts to the higher speeds with arm straightening pull.
Yeah, it's worth it!
I may get rid of the 30 tooth pulley now to drop the R's at freeway speed a hundred or so. I'm not sure how much I'll gain and there's really no way to check without a tach but if I do it I'll take my best guess with my seat of the pants dyno!

·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
With the 30 tooth and the 240 my speedo was off by 5MPH to the fast end.
I checked with a GPS (NOT A PHONE, IT'S NOT ACCURATE ENOUGH) FKKIN CAPS LOCK...
Anyway, I bought a speedo healer and dialed mine in perfect. Money well spent.
Your speedo was still off due to the added resistance of the over expressed CHROMIUM induced by the swaggering placement of your FUR thing while having a loss of snow to counteract.:suspicious:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am running a 30 tooth, cobra swepts, cobra auto tuner, and BAK. No flash. I am very happy with everything except the 35MPH, 2nd gear stutter which persists. I suspect the flash might solve that but i encounter it rarely so I am gonna stick with what I've got.

I run a 240 tire which, with the 30 tooth, overstates the speed about 3 MPH at 70. Since the stock 210 and 31 tooth combo overstates 5 at 70, I am happy. Maybe with my new tire (current one is bald) it'll drop to 2 at 70.

I love my 30 tooth. I have 25 miles a day of speed limit 45/50 driving which was painful to comply with: chug-a-lug all the time. Now I cruise smoothly at 45 in 5th - absolutely impossible before. My gas mileage dropped off a tad: used to get to 133 before hitting reserve, now only 125. No biggie. In part cause I also do 25 miles a day of freeway at 80+ (this is SoCal: I get passed all the time!).

If I was gonna do a cross-country interstate trip I would probably put the 31 tooth back on. Given my combo of side roads and freeway though, the 30 tooth is a godsend.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Your speedo was still off due to the added resistance of the over expressed CHROMIUM induced by the swaggering placement of your FUR thing while having a loss of snow to counteract.:suspicious:
Well that's a darn good possibility!
I am running a 30 tooth, cobra swepts, cobra auto tuner, and BAK. No flash. I am very happy with everything except the 35MPH, 2nd gear stutter which persists. I suspect the flash might solve that but i encounter it rarely so I am gonna stick with what I've got.

I run a 240 tire which, with the 30 tooth, overstates the speed about 3 MPH at 70. Since the stock 210 and 31 tooth combo overstates 5 at 70, I am happy. Maybe with my new tire (current one is bald) it'll drop to 2 at 70.

I love my 30 tooth. I have 25 miles a day of speed limit 45/50 driving which was painful to comply with: chug-a-lug all the time. Now I cruise smoothly at 45 in 5th - absolutely impossible before. My gas mileage dropped off a tad: used to get to 133 before hitting reserve, now only 125. No biggie. In part cause I also do 25 miles a day of freeway at 80+ (this is SoCal: I get passed all the time!).

If I was gonna do a cross-country interstate trip I would probably put the 31 tooth back on. Given my combo of side roads and freeway though, the 30 tooth is a godsend.
I thought I was pretty happy with mine too HS until I went ahead and got the flash...
It's not "Night and Day" but the throttle is no longer an On-Off switch at town speed cruising, in other words it rolls on so much more smoothly without jerking fwd and back with every slight adjustment of the throttle.
I think that is the most noticeable.
The bike sounds different, there is no way I can describe it really but it rumbles better... Zero popping, even when I try!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
This is a fantastic mod.

It has brought the chugging down to an acceptable level for sure. For the first time I was able to cruise thru my neighborhood at 20mph in second gear with very little throttle and only the slightest remnant of the chugging sensation. There is nothing audible, you have to feel for it. I even hit a 15mph ish corner in second without riding the clutch...so that's what that is supposed to feel like, huh. 30mph in third, throttle on no problem.

As this is my first bike I have nothing to compare it to, all I can say is that it sure is easier to ride than it was before...and I don't look goofy from bucking around at slow speeds when I apply the throttle, I look goofy for other reasons instead.

Best $40(Ebay) I've spent on the bike so far I think.

I'm running a Cobra slip on(in chrome, cause it's faster) and a Kuryakyn Alley Cat air cleaner with no tuning(set to order Monday).

·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
That 40 dollars was definatly the best spent dollar for dollar. I van's ECU Flash is one if not the e best mod also. Crazy how much better the bike is to manuever with that 30 tooth huh Mazilla? And it doesn't hurt top end at all especially with Ivan changing the rev limiter higher in his Flash.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
That 40 dollars was definatly the best spent dollar for dollar. I van's ECU Flash is one if not the e best mod also. Crazy how much better the bike is to manuever with that 30 tooth huh Mazilla? And it doesn't hurt top end at all especially with Ivan changing the rev limiter higher in his Flash.
I'd suggest people get the pulley first, see how they like the change and then go for the tune if they still aren't happy. I was able to do the work myself in about 30 minutes(start to wheel alignment) having never done this before(although I did pull the axle once already).

Everything I've done on the Stryker is a first in motorcycle mechanics for me as I have never touched a bike before, however I do have some time behind a wrench over the years learning what not to do and some of that hard earned knowledge applies here...so I'm not green but I'm not an engine builder either.

It's a fairly easy mod you can do with an air compressor, two floor jacks(or one motorcycle jack, lol) and a few wrenches, etc.

Being unsure of my work I took it to the local shop, the lazy eyed mechanic gave it a once over and the final nod of approval...of course I don't know if he was nodding to me or the delivery guy to my right, he just kinda walked off after that.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The bolt has a 30 tooth that is cheaper than the 1300 30 tooth. Lacking an eBay steal that's the best price you will find.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I got mine from a star 1300 guy , they want our pulley because it helps them for long distance so we just traded

·
Registered
17 Posts
So with Ivans flash, swept pipes, aftermarket intake, and 240 avon tire, should I even bother with 30T pulley? If there wont be too much notice in torque increase with the trade off of higher RPMs at highway speeds, I just dont see it being worth it.

Any insight?

Thanks!

121 - 140 of 155 Posts