Yamaha Star Stryker banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I think 11 and I discussed the difference in the rpms in another thread. He has a tach and has swapped both pulleys. Not sure how to search for that thread since cannot remember what we were originally talking about but hopefully 11 will see this and post.
I think the rpm difference was minimal or we were talking about 50, 70, 80 etc. with the 30 tooth and the small difference in rpm's...

·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I think 11 and I discussed the difference in the rpms in another thread. He has a tach and has swapped both pulleys. Not sure how to search for that thread since cannot remember what we were originally talking about but hopefully 11 will see this and post.
I think the rpm difference was minimal or we were talking about 50, 70, 80 etc. with the 30 tooth and the small difference in rpm's...
Exactly Billy. Engine just has a better rythm at cruise speed with the 30 tooth. top end, fuel mileage stay the same. I still say bike should have come with this setup just like its Vstar 1300 cousin.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Here's a link to our conversation. Based on 11's info I calculated 2900 & 3300 for 70 & 80mph w/ the 30 tooth. Still way below redline but we need a member with the stock 31 tooth front pulley to post to see the actual difference or someone with crazy math skills to calculate the difference.
My guess is 200 rpms difference which for me isn't enough to offset the additional smoothness you get with the 30 tooth around town etc.

http://www.yamahastarstryker.com/18-mods-accessories/54666-why-use-30-tooth-pulley-2.html

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Doesn't the 30 tooth pulley and the 240 rear tire cancel out the higher RPM?
Cannot say for sure. Tire size & front pulley each affect the gearing. Initially 11 and I were discussing if we ever had a 6th gear which I would be a fan of like Yamaha just did w/ the FJR1300 and no new box needed :) !!!!
Really a clever piece of engineering if you haven't seen it and they played around with the gear ratios just enough to tune things nice. That is the type of change I'd like for our tranny. 70-75 on the interstate is not unrealistic and having a 6th/OD gear would make it nice. Granted the Stryker wasn't created as a touring bike but still...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just swapped my pulley with the 30T from a 2014 Bolt (EB183 2014 Yamaha XVS950). Part number 5S7-17651-00-00. Everything fits as expected. I'm excited to take it for a ride after dinner and see the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just swapped my pulley with the 30T from a 2014 Bolt (EB183 2014 Yamaha XVS950). Part number 5S7-17651-00-00. Everything fits as expected. I'm excited to take it for a ride after dinner and see the difference!

Wow, what a difference! She just goes now.

·
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Wow, what a difference! She just goes now.

Should have come stock that way from Yami IMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
30 Tooth Front Pulley To Swap

Hi fellow & gal Yamaha fans! I have a 2017 Yamaha Bolt with 7.000 kms I live in Surrey BC Canada I would like to get together with a Stryker 1300 owner to swap my 30 tooth pulley for your 31 tooth for our mutual benefit. Even if you live near the border in Washington State, if you have the mechanical ability and tools, I'm willing to meet for the swap. You'll end up with more grunt off the line, and I'll stop looking for 6th!

Cheers!
Larry

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Really happy with the swap. Should have done this years ago. Like any other part, it is not cheap to do but the results are worth it.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts