Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm tempted to remove the baffles off the exhaust but it looks like a pain to reinstall if I end up not liking the outcome. Has anyone had any experience removing baffles off of their Cobra or other aftermarket exhaust? I'm interested in knowing the sound comparison, performance, and mechanical (engine) setbacks if any.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have. Getting the baffles out the first time can be a royal PITA! I ended up using the handle from my floor jack with a bolt through the end of it to hook into the bolt hole on the baffle. Then I attached some vice grips to the handle and began banging it with a hammer until it came out. I also sprayed it a lot with PB Blaster and let it soak for a bit before starting the banging. Eventually they do come out.

Before I did all of that I had reached out to Ivan to see if I would need to change my PCV map. He said no, but not to bother taking the baffles out because it wouldn't make any difference. I assume he meant performance-wise.

As far as sound goes, with the baffles removed it was definitely louder. But not in an entirely good way. It sounded badazz when you really get on the throttle. When you let off of the throttle though, it makes a really raspy snort/cough. I found that sound unpleasant. :)

Performance-wise I noticed no difference between the two, although I admittedly rode much more aggressively without the baffles just because it sounded so mean.

Putting the baffles back in can be a pain. What I found worked well for me was to line up the bolt hole about where I though it should be and push the baffle in. Then I used a small flashlight to shine in the bolt hole from outside the pipe so I could see when I was close. Then I used an allen wrench through the bolt hole to rotate the baffle until the bolt fit properly.

Other options I have tried:
stock baffle with the middle divider piece removed: got rid of the raspy cough but not as loud as I wanted
Thunder City Monster baffles: loud like no baffles and less of the raspy cough, although it is still there. This is my current set up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have. Getting the baffles out the first time can be a royal PITA! I ended up using the handle from my floor jack with a bolt through the end of it to hook into the bolt hole on the baffle. Then I attached some vice grips to the handle and began banging it with a hammer until it came out. I also sprayed it a lot with PB Blaster and let it soak for a bit before starting the banging. Eventually they do come out.

Before I did all of that I had reached out to Ivan to see if I would need to change my PCV map. He said no, but not to bother taking the baffles out because it wouldn't make any difference. I assume he meant performance-wise.

As far as sound goes, with the baffles removed it was definitely louder. But not in an entirely good way. It sounded badazz when you really get on the throttle. When you let off of the throttle though, it makes a really raspy snort/cough. I found that sound unpleasant. :)

Performance-wise I noticed no difference between the two, although I admittedly rode much more aggressively without the baffles just because it sounded so mean.

Putting the baffles back in can be a pain. What I found worked well for me was to line up the bolt hole about where I though it should be and push the baffle in. Then I used a small flashlight to shine in the bolt hole from outside the pipe so I could see when I was close. Then I used an allen wrench through the bolt hole to rotate the baffle until the bolt fit properly.

stock baffle with the middle divider piece removed: got rid of the raspy cough but not as loud as I wanted
Thunder City Monster baffles: loud like no baffles and less of the raspy cough, although it is still there. This is my current set up.
This was very informative. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
322 Posts
My pleasure. I only hope to help people avoid the mistakes I've made. LOL

Speaking of which, when removing or tightening the allen head bolts that hold the baffles in, be careful. They can strip easier than you think and then it is a huge pain to try to get them out with the exhaust still on the bike. I had to file the edges of one of them to be able to get some vise grips on it to get it out. Not fun...not even a little.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I couldn't get my baffle(slip on) out with anything I had lying around so I ended up tack-welding a steel rod to the baffle and yanking it out that way. I wrapped the baffle in fireplace gasket and put it back in after cleaning off the weld and touching up the paint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just checked my bike (bought it used), and it seems the previous owner already had the baffles taken out of the cobra swepts. I'm now used to the loud pipes. Is it harmful to the engine with the lack of back pressure going baffleless? Maybe make it run more lean? I was thinking of getting the Thunder Monster Baffles if it is better for the engine, but I also want to keep the loudness of no baffles. I have Ivans flash with the power commander. I was seeing on some forums that taking the baffles out can actually decrease performance as well... hmmm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well for anyone who is the same boat as mean with no baffles. I checked the spark plugs and they look fine. I can't imagine it would be too bad for the engine if its not running lean indicating its really hot.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've read a bunch of stuff online about running no baffles can hurt your engine and all that. I know too many Harley riders that ride without them and don't have any issues, well, at least no more than just the normal issues you get with a Harley. :) My opinion is if you have the flash and a tuner, you've more than likely compensated for any leaning out that would hurt your engine. And if you periodically check your plugs and they are fine, then you have nothing to worry about.

Loss of performance due to less back pressure is another issue but I don't think you are going to "feel" the difference. I think you would have to put the bike on a dyno to really see where the performance change was. And for the vast majority of riders it's something that you wouldn't even worry about. If you were racing and needed to get every bit of performance you could, that would be another story.

I went with the Big City Thunder Monster baffles mainly to try to reduce some of the raspy coughing. They are supposed to add back pressure compared to going baffle-less so I guess I'm covered on that front too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you mount the thunder monster baffles at the stock baffle mount location on cobra swepts? I was thinking of getting them before the company shuts down for a month July 1st.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yup I sure did. Basically it sounds just as loud as no baffles but not quite as raspy when you let off the throttle quickly. Still raspy-er than stock. No where to really add any wrap or anything on the monsters. :) I have seen a video on youtube where someone used the monsters mounted further in and then part of the stock baffle cut off and mounted in the original spot. But that's just too much work. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yup I sure did. Basically it sounds just as loud as no baffles but not quite as raspy when you let off the throttle quickly. Still raspy-er than stock. No where to really add any wrap or anything on the monsters. :) I have seen a video on youtube where someone used the monsters mounted further in and then part of the stock baffle cut off and mounted in the original spot. But that's just too much work. lol
I saw the same video you are talking about and also decided it was way too much work!

·
Registered
1 Posts

where did u buy thunder baffles?do you have pictures of ur exhaust and baffle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts