Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The season is coming to a close soon where I live and I plan to get my ECU tuned by Ivan once the snow starts sticking.
The issue is, my new air intake is here and I'd like to put it on and run without a tune for a few weeks (7-900 miles) but I don't want to cause damage by running lean (I have Vanes and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 already if this matters).
Your advice is appreciated :) . I've been lurking this form and using it as a reference sense I got my Stryker. You guys were spot on for the 240 tire. I had one put on last week and it's a totally different bike! Im looking forward to seeing the changes after the flash you all talked so highly of!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Almost no one will agree w/ me(they will all say you will run lean) but I say you'll run exactly the way you run now. May rational is that assuming the current oem AC is slightly restrictive and that the new aftermarket one is not, you are still dealing with a naturally aspirated engine. It literally can only move so much air in the cylinders. What you might notice is maybe a slight uptick in mpg if the engine isn't working as hard to breath.
But even assuming you get more air in, the FI would compensate up to its limits which are probably more than specific. This is what a modern FI system does and the reason you can go up in the mountains and not need adjustments to do so...

Like I said, many will disagree and say you'll damage your engine. To that I say: Show me detailed dyno charts as proof. No one has those because who would pay to run the dyno just to see this? People run the dyno to change things(including the AF ratio) and those changes are done in conjunction with new parts and not because of new parts!

Note: Ivan only wanted the exhaust and AC info for people who were getting the PCV(at the time) since the maps were different. This was what he referred to as the final 5% tuning. The other 95% is the Flash and it is identical for every Stryker!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
When I bought my bike it had just over 5k miles with a cobra powerflo intake and cobra swept exhaust with no tuner. It was fine and ran fine. I have Ivan's flash now and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my bike's engine. I say put it on and go ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys :)
You've put any fears I had of doing damage to bed. I'll install the new air intake tonight!
 

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
Joined
·
916 Posts
My position is it will run leaner. My proof was my plugs. When I ran with New exhaust and Open air filter my plugs especially the rear was much more on the reddish side than cardboard brown. I used the Co-Mode Mod to compensate for that and it worked great. Will you damage motor, probably not only because many have done it with no issues. This cooler weather also lets more air into motor, and while I do agree with Billy’s theory, these bikes run lean from factory and It would be interesting to see a motor’s specs after 50k miles that never got a flash but has A/M exhaust and air cleaner with proper fluid changes . Compared to one tuned for those items with proper fluid changes. Even a compression test could be used as partial verification. If you keep fresh fluids and do plugs changes and keep air cleaner clean these motors seem bullet proof!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top