Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I just received my hard kore baffle and I'm trying to install it. I removed the four screws of the cobra, the tip and I removed the slip on as I couldn't take the baffle out just pulling. I was trying to follow the instructions and hit the baffle from the rear but, there is nothing to hit! The baffle is a full pipe to the reduction of the muffle, and the only thing visible are the small cuts that, as they face to the exit, cannot be used to push the baffle out. There is not an edge or something that I can use as a base to push it out. I tried a small wire with a hook and insert it in two oposite cuts and try again to pull it out, but nothing. I wasn't able to move the baffle even a small. I cannot turn it, pull it or push it. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I'm sure you have, but just make sure you removed all the screws first. The wire you are using needs to be strong. Get it into a hole in the baffle and clamp a set of vise grips on the end of the wire and hit it with a hammer until it comes out

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BretRTR,

There are only 4 screwsm right? 2 for the tip and 2 for the baffle... So, is not that easy as just pull it by hand? As you said, I was using a not so strong wire and the hooks unbend when I pull. I didn't want to use the hammer as almost everybody said that they pull the baffle without hit it, (and if I start hitting things, the hammer rage makes me do not so much smart things, jejeje).

I'm getting a stronger wire or a small bar and try again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wasn't able to pull mine either. So I gave up and installed the hard kore baffle on one of the original holes. I just went to a hardware store and got a longer screw, drilled the cobra baffle through the original hole, and worked great. I put locktite on the screw, and I have no issues with it moving. The sound is the same like when you install the baffle 2" deeper (like in instructions).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DanTheMan, did you drill the threads of the cobra baffle or did you use a slightly smaller drill bit? I guess that with a longer screw, you are using the Kore nut to fix both baffles, right? The problem I see is that it is an irreversible mod: if I want to remove the kore, the cobra baffle will have only one screw (well, I guess that if we cannot take it out, it is not a big issue )

·
Registered
303 Posts
I remember having issues removing the baffle. I finally managed to do it using the floor jack handle. It has a little metal thingy sticking out on the side. I used that to grab one of the holes in the baffle and then used a lot of brute force. I think it's just some mufflers are tighter than others.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brute force... Not my favorite technique, but you give me an idea: I could use a bottle or screw jack to pull it out. I just need to find a hook strong enough that fit in the holes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
DanTheMan, did you drill the threads of the cobra baffle or did you use a slightly smaller drill bit? I guess that with a longer screw, you are using the Kore nut to fix both baffles, right? The problem I see is that it is an irreversible mod: if I want to remove the kore, the cobra baffle will have only one screw (well, I guess that if we cannot take it out, it is not a big issue )
To do the hole I used a smaller bit, then a smaller screw, and finally a spare screw the same size with the final one. I did not damaged the thread of the hole in the baffle, and the mod is totally reversible. Just take out the longer screw, the Kore baffle and put in a normal screw.You still have the original hole in the outside wall of the baffle, you just end up with an extra hole on the interior wall of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow... So, there is not an easy way to take off a stuck baffle. I'll to pull it out one more time, but I'm thinking DanTheMan is a good alternative...

Dan, I guess you also used a smaller nut, rigth? Did you drill the Kore or use the existing nut?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not sure if the slip on works the same as the full cobra exhaust, but the principle must be the same. They are a pain the first time for sure. I sprayed a metric crap ton of PB Blaster all round the baffles and let them sit for a while to make sure there wasn't anything sticking. Then like rider I used a floor jack handle. I used a bolt through one end and hooked that into the baffle. Then I clamped my big vice grips on the other end of the handle and banged the crap out of it with my hammer. At first it didn't seem to do anything but eventually it slowly moved and finally came out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow... So, there is not an easy way to take off a stuck baffle. I'll to pull it out one more time, but I'm thinking DanTheMan is a good alternative...

Dan, I guess you also used a smaller nut, rigth? Did you drill the Kore or use the existing nut?
I used the nut welded on the Kore. Like I said, I made the hole in the inside of the Cobra baffle starting with a small bit, then enlarged it with 2 sizes screws until it got to the size of the nut. Cobra baffle has 2 walls where is the hole to hold it onto the pipe. What you do is drill the inside wall, and don't mess with the external hole. You don't need to drill the Kore, use the existing one. So everything will end up the same size, you just need to buy a longer screw, same size and thread as the original.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mmmm, maybe something is different... The nut in my Kore is 1/4, same size than the muffler, so there is no way to use it with a smaller screw. In the end, I just drilled the muffle and the baffle with the drill that came with the kore and used a 1/4 x 1 1/2 screw. The nut welded in the core is not straight, so I used the hole in the opposite side and an inox nut. If I decide to remove the kore, I can leave the long screw with the nut. Yeah, its not pretty, but I don't spend too much time looking at my muffle...

I just can't find anything that fits in the small holes in the baffle, and strong enough to not bend when pulling...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts