Yamaha Star Stryker banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
8,690 Posts
I know what you are saying Gunny. I'll bet the 3/8" rope is too big. There is a large indent in muffler near axle bolt head and most likely you a re hitting that. I think Joe used 1/4" rope and that may be the trick.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know what you are saying Gunny. I'll bet the 3/8" rope is too big. There is a large indent in muffler near axle bolt head and most likely you a re hitting that. I think Joe used 1/4" rope and that may be the trick.
That's my thought also. However SmokenJoe's video shows 3/8". In my attempts to insert the wrapped baffle you could see the black carbon on the rope right at the detent area and I did wrap it around the baffle slot's to keep OD to a minimum. I may try again. I heard there is a fireplace store locally that has 3/16". Of course it's a holiday so that's out for today. I'll keep at it since I like what I have and a little lower sound would be great. I'll update as I go.
"It's a Good Day To Honor Veteran's"

·
8,690 Posts
Hey Gunny- SmokenJoe's Outer muffler housing may not have as deep a dimple near the axle area as your's Possibly and that's what the problem is.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey Gunny- SmokenJoe's Outer muffler housing may not have as deep a dimple near the axle area as your's Possibly and that's what the problem is.
IT’S IN and I like it. I went for a ride and find the loudness pretty much the same, the “tiny” sound is gone and it is throatier. I’m glad SmokenJoe posted this thread. I quoted you ‘11’ because I thought that could be a possibility as all manufactured parts are not necessarily identical @ when, what lot and how old is the die. I also considered the rope diameter. One mfg’s 3/8” may not be the same as another and then there are always quality control standards. Enough said! If I were to do it again I would use ¼”. Now for the install: I wrapped the baffle as tight as possible to minimize OD. Once the front end of the baffle caught that stand off I had to tap it in with a piece of wood and small hammer. Then to align the screw holes, once the depth was okay, I inserted a small nail removal tool (@ deck nails) to the baffle slots and used a wrench to turn it. It is darn tight but all screws are in place. I hope I like it for the long run because I do not want to think about pulling it out. Sorry, no pic's but SmokenJoe did a great job with that. To recap ~ I like it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For those of you that have had this muffler apart. Do you think that using a fiberglass repacking material would fit back in? It sounds like that indent for the axle does not give much clearance. I would think that if it is possible to get the mat in there, it would do a better job of muffling than the rope alone.

·
8,690 Posts
For those of you that have had this muffler apart. Do you think that using a fiberglass repacking material would fit back in? It sounds like that indent for the axle does not give much clearance. I would think that if it is possible to get the mat in there, it would do a better job of muffling than the rope alone.
I used the Moose brand fiberglass packing in mine, but My indent is gone now that I shortened the slip-on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used the Moose brand fiberglass packing in mine, but My indent is gone now that I shortened the slip-on.
I ended up sourcing some FMF 4 stroke packing - not too many places carry muffler packing around here... It looks similar to the pink wall insulation for homes. I wrapped pretty much the whole length of the baffle and got it back together.

From the little bit of test driving I can say that it has taken some of the drone when holding steady speeds which is nice. It is still quite loud though. I don't think it is any quieter when at WOT.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I ride hard, I think that the Moose Fiberglass is the way to go for me. I would think that the the fireplace rope would restrict my airflow more that the moose therefore making my pipes run hotter. Thus the engine. IMO
Don't think you are correct in that statement.

·
8,690 Posts
Don't think you are correct in that statement.
Joe is right. the baffle pipe is a straight thru design. So no restriction when wrapping rope or fiberglass around outside of baffle. Just trying to tone down the noise.

·
8,690 Posts
I am only referring the the cobra swept pipes, you cant wrap the whole baffle.
Now you tell us Miko! In a Slip-on thread! Gotta quit lookin at so many girlie pics. LOL JK

21 - 40 of 49 Posts