Yamaha Star Stryker banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
So we have wrapped in rope, fiberglass and aluminum tape. Has anyone gotten to tone down the decibel level? I loved the sound at first but now wish it was a bit quieter. Guess I am getting old. I want something more than stock but lately it seems really loud to me. :violin:

Update: I think I am going to give this a try. http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZCB400SO.html They are local to me so I think I am going to stop by tomorrow.

·
8,690 Posts
Nice find Strykeback!

·
Registered
330 Posts
So we have wrapped in rope, fiberglass and aluminum tape. Has anyone gotten to tone down the decibel level? I loved the sound at first but now wish it was a bit quieter. Guess I am getting old. I want something more than stock but lately it seems really loud to me. :violin:

Update: I think I am going to give this a try. http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZCB400SO.html They are local to me so I think I am going to stop by tomorrow.
Caution: Call Smartpartz first. I tried this last May and the one you have listed is not for our "single" muffler slip-on. Their description is miss leading. I returned mine and they said they were designed for a dual muffler system. I complained about their description but it appears to no avail. If you hear anything different from them let me/us know. My baffle is wrapped in rope and safety wired in place at both ends. I have not tried any tapes. I wanted to tone it down just a bit also but I feel it is much nicer with the rope than without.
Don

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ok so the drone at freeways speeds after 3500 miles on the pipe is starting to bug me. And while it defies logic after seeing how this pipe is constructed I swear the pipe got louder over time. After one ride home a few weeks ago my ears were ringing so I seek out Joey's solution but fireplace rope is not easy to come by in CA. So I decided to add my own twist an use that exhaust wrap. While it did not really change the decibel level it did take the drone down a notch and took away what I can best describe as some of the crackle (nastiness) on acceleration. With the wrap I did not have to worry about clearance issues on the re-install like the fireplace rope mod.

I definitely like the newer sound and it will stay on. But I still want it a bit quieter for the wife and recently getting some unwanted attention from law enforcement. I recently purchased the Hard Kore Baffles and will start another thread on those.

For the installation I simply just wrapped it overlapping it tightly and use some copper wire laying around the garage to tie off the end cutting of the excess wrap. Reinserting the pipe while on the bike proved to be futile effort for me while laying on the ground. Remove the shell and reinstalled the baffle it with it off the bike. Infinitely easier. The tolerances of the baffle sliding over muffler shell is quite tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good work. Glad to hear the wrap has worked out for you. I look forward to your Hard Core Baffle write up. I want them as well but the ones sent to me would not fit into my baffle. Let us know. Thanks

·
8,690 Posts
Well thought out. Great to see new ideas from members. Not sure why none of us thought of that, but that's why these forums are so cool!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I wished I would have thought of this, My fiberglass wrap didn't last that long either. A a few days ago I couldn't hear this redhead at the grocery store that I was talking to. I figured it was the bike..... It's all good , she knows I'm hard of hearing, she just got closer....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I pulled the baffle out of my slip on and wrapped it with Fireplace rope. Usually used for sealing doors on fireplaces.
I think it has a different tone, little deeper. Have not taken a test ride yet but will as soon as possible.

No baffle wrap;
How did you attach it with the thin wire on the each end so it stays secure and doesnt come loose? I just ordered the rope and going to do this soon.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts