Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Custom Front fork brace for my L&M Full Reaper

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  11Stryker 
#1 ·
Well here's the thing. Went on ebay looking at maybe getting a steel fender like SR71 has and found that there are Fork braces made for many bikes when you eliminate front fender altogether. So I thought I would just make one to wrap over fender and brace it that way. I like the look and functionallity of the full reaper just not the rubbing the tires in corners. So I bought some aluminum 1/4" x 1" and formed it around a 6" cylinder to get a perfect radius. Then just cut the legs to length and drilled the mounting holes. Then painted to match fender. Will install tomorrow when paint is dry and post more pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Not getting a picture in my mind how that's going to mount in a manner to where it supports the fender where it rubs. Guess I'll wait and see how you mount it.

#4 ·
Toby said:
Not getting a picture in my mind how that's going to mount in a manner to where it supports the fender where it rubs. Guess I'll wait and see how you mount it.
reaper fender will go back on with this wrapped over fender and bolted with fender to forks. this is supposed to stop the forks flexing when turning. when i turn right- bottom left of fender rubbs tire an vice versa when i turn left. also when i hold front brake and compress front forks- the fender draws in at rear bottom towards both sides of tire. I believe it was Roadkill that told me this is a normal thing on Raiders also with fiberglass front fender. the stock metal front fender and SR71's fender don't allow this flexing. The forks are slightly twisting and the slight inbalance of shock performance from left and right fork allow this flexing. These are sold for all sorts of bikes where people are running with no front fender. i am not saying this will enhance the bikes look, but just curious if it stops my fender flexing. Here is one example on ebay- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Sand...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc9051f51&vxp=mtr

#7 ·
11Stryker said:
Toby said:
reaper fender will go back on with this wrapped over fender and bolted with fender to forks. this is supposed to stop the forks flexing when turning. when i turn right- bottom left of fender rubbs tire an vice versa when i turn left. also when i hold front brake and compress front forks- the fender draws in at rear bottom towards both sides of tire. I believe it was Roadkill that told me this is a normal thing on Raiders also with fiberglass front fender. the stock metal front fender and SR71's fender don't allow this flexing. The forks are slightly twisting and the slight inbalance of shock performance from left and right fork allow this flexing. These are sold for all sorts of bikes where people are running with no front fender. i am not saying this will enhance the bikes look, but just curious if it stops my fender flexing. Here is one example on ebay- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Sand...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc9051f51&vxp=mtr
Ah, so it's the actual uneven compression of the shocks that is making id bend a little. So the support you mad is going to add back the extra support that was lost by removing the metal fender. Makes sense.

#9 ·
This is a cool idea and we agree the fenders do move on the front wheel, but most of it is caused by the soft washers we send to protect the fresh paint jobs. But this combination and been very successful customer feedback. Is there room to fit this bracket between the fender and the fork mount?

Chris

#10 ·
Yahh im not getting the pic either???? if ur putting that inside the fender crossing the top part of the tire wont it rub??? theirs not much room inside it is their???? If their is........ Then im def gonna put some Flat LED's lmao!!! Wish L&M could fix that FLAW??? (Caugh, Caugh) :eek: lol

#11 ·
This mounts outside the fender. And this aluminum is quite strong after making the bend. You know how aluminum can be bent once, but don't try and straighten it or it will break? All I am trying to do is augment the strength of the L&M fender. I know the ones online are steel and a little larger, but they are for running without a fender. I bought 3 sizes of Alum and 2 of steel. If this attempt does'nt work I will try some of the others. Yes Chris- Remember I have the Raider front fender and I had to space it a little to work on the Stryker. So the extra 1/4" will work as I tried it before painting my Bracket. I Love this L&M Fender- just trying to stiffen the extra fork twist.

#12 ·
OK- Got er on and took more pics. Raining and streets wet so have not rode yet, but all the static problems that I had just turning from left to right and vice-versa are no more. And also instead of the aluminum one I made yesterday- I made one from 3/16" x 1" steel this morning, painted and installed before supper tonight.

Attachments

#13 ·
more

Attachments

#14 ·
more

Attachments

#18 ·
I was thinking about making one also, but didn't think about that design? I was thinking of the style that clamped around the forks, where the protectors are attached. I kinda like the style of these, especially the larger ones with the holes in them. I know your just trying to keep the fender from flexing, but do you think this style is as strong as the clamp on type?

Nice job by the way,it looks clean on the bike! I'm sitting here looking at it and thinking, Hmm,one of those that went into a point in the front and rear, and maybe on the bottom would look bitchen on my new fender! I only have 1/8" spacers on mine, but an 1/8" sheet metal brace plus the metal fender would be almost 1/4"of steel stiffening up the front!

#19 ·
Hey SJ, You and me think alike. I was thinking of making one of those that clamp on the forks also and tie into the strap that I put on. I might yet if I get me a piece of billet aluminum. Alot of the reasons that bikers pu these on other than running without fenders is to stabilize the handling. Alot is lost when you remove the stock metal fender. Will be fun to see what we come up with!! Take care!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.