Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I found this forum in hopes I can solve my issue. I was riding my ‘15 Stryker and it cut off as I released the clutch from a stop. I looked down and saw that oil had been seeping from the top of the oil tank. I put a quart of oil in it, no joy. Took the battery to the store and they said it was dead. Still not starting after a brand new battery. Checked the fuses and they looked ok. When I try to start it, the engine light flashes but no error codes. Lights come on and it tries to turn over but nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated y’all. Thanks

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well the oil issue probably isn't the no-start but you still need to find the leak and adding a quart is a pretty lot so you might be overfilled now... What did the site window look like with the bike upright before/after filling?

No start is probably easier. Don't assume the battery they sent was fully charged unless you have confirmed that. While they are all "supposed" to change the ones on the shelf I doubt they do according to the mfg's schedule... Take a reading and if low put on the trickle charge(tender) overnight to get up to spec.
Now if it is reading fine, and based on what you said earlier about trying to turn over, I'd say all the normal things like the safety switches, kill switch and starter relay are fine. That sort of leaves the starter but...

I'd still bet low battery for the no-start.

P.S. Once running see how many volts are going back to the battery. Should be between 13-14(maybe close to 15 if really low). Your initial battery either died because of age, really loose connections, bad cell OR the charging system needs a repair. If the volts are below 13 while running then you need to troubleshoot the charging system.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well the oil issue probably isn't the no-start but you still need to find the leak and adding a quart is a pretty lot so you might be overfilled now... What did the site window look like with the bike upright before/after filling?

No start is probably easier. Don't assume the battery they sent was fully charged unless you have confirmed that. While they are all "supposed" to change the ones on the shelf I doubt they do according to the mfg's schedule... Take a reading and if low put on the trickle charge(tender) overnight to get up to spec.
Now if it is reading fine, and based on what you said earlier about trying to turn over, I'd say all the normal things like the safety switches, kill switch and starter relay are fine. That sort of leaves the starter but...

I'd still bet low battery for the no-start.

P.S. Once running see how many volts are going back to the battery. Should be between 13-14(maybe close to 15 if really low). Your initial battery either died because of age, really loose connections, bad cell OR the charging system needs a repair. If the volts are below 13 while running then you need to troubleshoot the charging system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts