Yamaha Star Stryker banner
81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I want to do this mod so bad. Does anyone have more detailed instructions or bigger pictures/ video? I know you have to take off the rear fender to get to all this first.
Would be great to know then exactly where to cut to avoid a costly mistake.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You don't have to pull the fender if you don't mind getting on the ground. Once you have the mud flap off, it is pretty easy to see where to cut. If you are reasonably handy, it is a couple of hours of work. Make sure you understand you local laws around licence plate location, lighting and reflectors before you do any cutting.
Auto part Vehicle Family car

·
Registered
917 Posts
Agree with muskie I never pulled my fender off just layer on the ground.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing how you put it all together

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I guess I forgot to post up the pics of my light set-up!
This little light, tucked under the fender, out of sight lights up the plate just fine!

And the front side of the plate mount is a great place to re-position the ugly tire pressure decal too!

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
I want to do this mod so bad. Does anyone have more detailed instructions or bigger pictures/ video? I know you have to take off the rear fender to get to all this first.
Would be great to know then exactly where to cut to avoid a costly mistake.
There is a step by step thread here that I found a while back when I did mine, use the search box and go through the list. Sorry, I don't remember the title.

·
8,690 Posts
Fro us Old Farts that don't enjoy getting up off floor 30 times for the next tool(GETS OLD REALLY FAST)- Only takes 5 minutes tops to remove rear fender and set it on a bench and do the work. Ive done it both ways multiple times and I know which one wears me down the least.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Fro us Old Farts that don't enjoy getting up off floor 30 times for the next tool(GETS OLD REALLY FAST)- Only takes 5 minutes tops to remove rear fender and set it on a bench and do the work. Ive done it both ways multiple times and I know which one wears me down the least.
The truth shall set you free! :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did the same thing and took it one step further and cut open the tail light and wired some LEDs in it for the turn signals, pretty easy. I put 2 super bright yellow ones in for each side but may go back and add in another 2 for each. It can be seen straight on from cars behind me but still would like them to be a little brighter. Just got to make sure you get the right resistors so LEDs don't burn out.

·
Administrator
4,746 Posts
I did the same thing and took it one step further and cut open the tail light and wired some LEDs in it for the turn signals, pretty easy. I put 2 super bright yellow ones in for each side but may go back and add in another 2 for each. It can be seen straight on from cars behind me but still would like them to be a little brighter. Just got to make sure you get the right resistors so LEDs don't burn out.
Pics?

·
Registered
266 Posts
just did mine last night, kept the plate under the light just cause I don't have the money for a side plate mount yet. a drill some tin snips and a knife was all I needed

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I did mine last night too! I pulled the whole fender and flipped it over on the back of the bike, disassembled the unit and used my cut off wheel. I left the entire metal bracket intact because I like the angle it forces the plate to hang at and the slight curve the plate ends up with. LED bolt lights and it's all good. It looks much better than before.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did mine last year. Pic attached.
If any Stryker owners in the Northern VA and surrounding area need assistance with mods give me a shout. I do almost all my own, with the exception of mounting tires and serious engine/transmission work. I have all the tools, a lift, and a garage. I work for cash and don't charge much. I'm retired, disabled, and like working on bikes for something to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you cut the metal backing plate? Or leave it to place the license plate on it??

You can cut it all the way or just right under the 2 holes so that you can mount your plate. If that is the route you are going to take.
Thanks Mike let me get some "Presidentes" and get to it or maybe tomorrow just got home from a nice ride to the east coast of my island

81 - 100 of 114 Posts