Yamaha Star Stryker banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I am back from deployment now and wanted to make true on my promise. But I can't get a good pic of the integrated taillight turn signals working. But it was pretty simple to get them to work. I just went to radio shack and bought some super bright LED yellow/amber lights and the figured out what the voltage was for two of them for each turn signal. Knowing that the bikes light is a 12v system I was able to math up the amount of resistance needed to let the LEDs work with out burning up. Used a dremal to cut the clear plastic of the taillight from the housing and just glued in the new LEDs, resistors and then used a high strength super glue to glue the clear plastic back to the housing. Kind of a bad picture but you can see the right turn signal on. Its a lot brighter in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I mounted a very small LED beam light under the fender, aimed down at the license plate.
It lights up the plate at night to avoid being pulled over for no light.

I made the bracket, similar to this one and mounted it under the axle bolt...

I like the way her ass turned out !!!

Did you machine that license plate holder or buy it? I like the way that looks! And how did you mount your tail light like that? I see a ton of reading on how to leave the signal lights and stock assembly but I'd like to have my tail look like yours..

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I responded in the PM I sent you.
The turn signals are integral with the light, No need for additional lights.
The pic of the lic plate holder above is on that Smokin Joe used to build.
I stole his idea because I wanted the plate behind the pulley
I didn't use the tab he had on his because frankly, if your lic bracket slides down you have a lot more to worry about than the bracket dragging on the ground. that's your axle bolt!
He no longer builds them.:(

Mine...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Be careful of this setup if you ever go with the 240 tire. If you mount your license plate bracket on the holes on the cover plate where the old reflector and license plate light are mounted it has a fairy good chance the bolts would hit your tire when you go over humps and potholes. Ask me how I know this.:(

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Now with a closer look. I see what your talking about. What's the solution? I would like to keep the plate on the rear.
What I did unfortunately you could not do anymore.You have cut the mounting plate to where the only one left is the original mount for the plate light and reflector. Mine I kept the whole mounting plate intact so I just mounted the plate frame to its original hole but instead of bolting it from the top of the license plate I bolted it from the bottom. The original mounting hole of the license plate is perpendicular to the tire so even if the tire goes all the way and hit the fender it would never hit the license plate bolt. But I think if you just bend the plate a little bit outward and put the bolt in reverse (bolt is facing the tire and the nut is in the bracket so that no thread is sticking out) then you might be able to clear the tire

I have a 240 on mine. It looks to me like I have plenty of clearance. I bent the metal plate out slightly to add a little more room, but I can't see it hitting at this point.
I think if you didn't lower the bike at all and would not load the bike more than 350 lbs then it wont hit it. Mine didn't hit even after being lower by 1" and been using it for more than a month, the only time it hit is when I was ridding 2 up with my wife and our combine weight is 350+ lbs. The best way to check this is have 2 people sit on the bike and check your clearance again. Clearance you see when there is nobody on the bike is totally deceiving

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the info. Going to bend the plate and flip those bolts around. Time will tell if that's the trick. Thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I was to cut along the red line, will this cut off the wire that powers the license plate bulb? I am planning on relocating the license plate to the side and the license plate light is not necessary in our state.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Tire

101 - 114 of 114 Posts