Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Originally posted in here, I decided to move this into its own DIY thread so I could follow up.]

I finally finished up the air intake adapter I've been working on and did a test fitting. Fits great! Now I just need to take it off and plasti-dip everything (flat black of course).

I started off with $57 DIY big air kit post by 11Styrker. From the beginning I've wanted a forward facing cone shaped K&N filter; I think it kinda gives the bike a hot rod look. But I wanted a smaller, more oval shaped filter that doesn't stick out too far from the engine.

So I ordered this adapter from Amazon for $13.

I cut the flange down to about .75". I wanted to be able to switch back to stock at any time so instead of cutting up my stock airbox, I bought a used one on eBay from $40 and cut it up. I used two sticks of Blue Magic QuikSteel to mold that to the flange. It's raise about .5" from the flange to improve the direction of the airflow, since the round flange is a very different shape than that of the stock airbox adapter.

I ordered this elbow boot for $20 to mount the filter to the flange.

And here's the K&N filter.

I cut, shaped, sanded and polished the adapter with my Dremel 4000. Buying the second airbox is optional. If you use your own stock airbox, the cost breakdown for this project is:
  1. Flange - $13
  2. Elbow boot - $20
  3. K&N filter - $43.00
  4. Two sticks of QuikSteel - $14
  5. One can of plasti-dip - $6
  6. Total - ~$96

So it was more than than the original DIY BAK by 11Stryker, but it far less than the $450+ I would have spent by ordering the Low & Mean adapter and a Harley intake. Plus I don't really like the look of the Low & Mean adapter. So now I just have to finish this up and see how it performs!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This mod is very similar to Mindspring's post MY BAK detailed. Main difference being that he used a 4" flange and I used a 3", and therefore was able to use a much smaller intake filter (the K&N).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plasti-dipped the filter and adapter

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crank case breather

As for that breather hose that was attached to the stock airbox, for now I just threw a small K&N filter on it.

For a permanent solution I'm going to get a hose adapter which will allow me to fully tighten the filter. Something like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Breather continued

Ran to AutoZone and grabbed this hose adapter.

The hose just routes between the cylinders and around the back to the crank case. It was routed this way to access the stock airbox, but now that it has an independent filter, I'll probably cut it down to just a few inches so that this filter sits behind the rear cylinder.

Attachments

·
8,693 Posts
Great Job! I like that KN filter!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great Job! I like that KN filter!
BTW thanks very much for your original DIY BAK post! I probably wouldn't have done this mod without it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have to agree... Nice job... Just an idea, but have you thought about getting rid of the little filter? Plug that hose into your elbow with that fitting you bought.. Then it will just recycle back through the system like the stock intake does.. The breather can also make a mess too.. Like I said, just an idea...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to agree... Nice job... Just an idea, but have you thought about getting rid of the little filter? Plug that hose into your elbow with that fitting you bought.. Then it will just recycle back through the system like the stock intake does.. The breather can also make a mess too.. Like I said, just an idea...
That's a really good idea. I may actually do that.

How can the breather make a mess? (Sorry, I'm kind of a noob)

·
Registered
215 Posts
That's a really good idea. I may actually do that.

How can the breather make a mess? (Sorry, I'm kind of a noob)
The breather is outgoing air pressure and oil can, and will, come out with it.. At least it does with older engines..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The breather is outgoing air pressure and oil can, and will, come out with it.. At least it does with older engines..
Ah I see. Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Looks good. One thought would be to fill in the extra holes w/ something like bondo so the surface is smooth before plasti-dip...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve been catching up on all these awesome threads. Thanks for posting all the info!!

So it’s been a few years. How did it work out for you? Any issues? Anything your would change?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve been catching up on all these awesome threads. Thanks for posting all the info!!

So it’s been a few years. How did it work out for you? Any issues? Anything your would change?

Thanks again!!
Worked well for 4 years. I was in a wreck in Feb of this year. Laid my Stryker down on the right side. It completely took the air cleaner off the bike. I went ahead and ordered the Low & Mean intake adapter with the Force air cleaner as a replacement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts