Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read where many of us felt like the downshift from 2nd to 1st was very rough. Several of you said this improved after the first service. Mine did not, still very rough. Any idea what your dealers did that helped this? I have found that shifting into neutral for a second helps but that's not what I want to do when trying to enter a sharp corner hard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
I am not 100% positive but it has to do with the clutch engagement via clutch adjustment.
I can feel my clutch needs adjusting right now as it feels a little grabby with the lever pulled in and a quick rev-the bike will slightly lunge forward. If sounds like your clutch needs adjusting as just about everyone on here will.
We can walk you thru an adjustment if you feel like you want to try it.
Also, fresh oil seems to help... G/L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
I notice somewhat the same on mine b4 but it did clear up a lil.... one thing i really scratch my head on is when i first had my ride i was able to start it up while in 1 gear and holding the clutch but now i always have to be in N to start it up???? any input on this? is my sh#* busted??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
my guess would be your clutch isn't adjusted correctly, when did it start doing after a service adjustment or did it just quit doing it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Mine wont start in gear if the kickstand is down. once the kickstand is up it will start if the clutch is pulled in. Mine clunks going into first gear. I figure a clunk is normal for it. It was doing it from day one so I'm not worried about it that's why there's a warranty if it breaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
when I posted I was sitting here thinking there was something else that had to be done to get it to start oh yeah the kick stand I've done that acouple of times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
WLFPAK65 said:
I notice somewhat the same on mine b4 but it did clear up a lil.... one thing i really scratch my head on is when i first had my ride i was able to start it up while in 1 gear and holding the clutch but now i always have to be in N to start it up???? any input on this? is my sh#* busted??
When I first got the bike it would do that every now and then. Haven't noticed it in awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Yosemite said:
Mine wont start in gear if the kickstand is down. once the kickstand is up it will start if the clutch is pulled in. Mine clunks going into first gear. I figure a clunk is normal for it. It was doing it from day one so I'm not worried about it that's why there's a warranty if it breaks.
Your bike is suppose to do that. Its a safety feature. Your bike will also shut itself off if you put the kickstand down while in gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
MY said:
Yosemite said:
Mine wont start in gear if the kickstand is down. once the kickstand is up it will start if the clutch is pulled in. Mine clunks going into first gear. I figure a clunk is normal for it. It was doing it from day one so I'm not worried about it that's why there's a warranty if it breaks.
Your bike is suppose to do that. Its a safety feature. Your bike will also shut itself off if you put the kickstand down while in gear.
I know. I was just stating how it should operate since wlfpak65 was having issues starting in gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clutch adjustment seems to be fine, any other ideas on what may have been done on first service to help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Check your oil level. Its probably a normal clunk. I dont think the shift from 2nd to 1st will ever be a quiet one due to the fact it has to go through neutral.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Everyone has it pretty much right. Its loud on most bikes because of going through neutral. Also if your RPM's are to high while your shifting down, it will only make it worst.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
MY said:
Everyone has it pretty much right. Its loud on most bikes because of going through neutral. Also if your RPM's are to high while your shifting down, it will only make it worst.
Exactly.

Blip the throttle when you pull the clutch in and downshift. It will downplay the the clunking thing cuz ur speeding up the trans shaft/synchros and that little blip will cause the clutch discs to seperate from the plates a little better than simply pulling in on the clutch lever.
Make sense?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Make sure you're not downshifting too soon in the rpm's.
It will act like it wants to grenade if you do..
Sorry for the assumptions I make, i'm not sure how much experience you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No problem 8, been riding for many years, but on on street bikes for 6. No matter the experience we can all learn something (and should be willing to do so). Just seems that the downshift from 2nd to 1st is MUCH rougher on the stryker than it was on my V-star. Also seems that there is a larger spread between 1st and 2nd which may explain it. Any way, it's fun learning about different bikes and different experiences others have had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
Well I never got it serviced and started noticing it after I got my break and right footpeg replaced cuz i tweaked it pretty bad... Ima ask the service guys what they did lol their pretty cool peeps there but everytime I go to their shop I forget cuz it doest really bother me much but I should get it checked out... I was at a light to make a left turn and was in 1st gear and somehow I guess I didn't even out my clutch with my gass and I stalled lol I think I forgot I was in 3-4 gear but it was a pain while under the pressure to get the **** outta the way for cars behind me to start up in 1st when I realized tht I had to b in N to start the gear to roll out.... Embarrassing moment for my Black Beauty n I :-[
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top