Yamaha Star Stryker banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can almost say with certainty that you'll be buying some new cables and a hose soon.
Those puppies are tight and will only get tighter when you turn.
You'll wear your clutch cable right the heck out first. Maybe rip the hose.

I'm 2" higher than stock and I'm maxed out.

Get Klarowe's risers MB1300, You'll be happy with them, I am.

I almost completely re-organized the wires..i actually had to route them through the bars to get rid of slack. What i did was removed them from all of the wire guides and zip ties.

Adrenaline, I believe you are maxed out because you probably left the cables in their stock position (or close)...i didn't. The reason for me keeping the stock cables was to prove that it could be done. I went on a 300 mile ride monday just to max out all possibilities that could possibly "rip" my clutch cable, or any cable, and i don't even have a stretch mark.

Is it my plan to keep them that way? Mostly yes, I will get a longer hose (only about 2-3" though) and only because it'll make me feel better. I don't want super loose cables, neither do i want them tight.

And APE's aren't for everybody. This is what i want for my bike. The only reason i posted was to show that it is possible to go higher with stock cables, it wasn't a sells pitch. So before we go trying to pick sides, you should probably read my install thread and not assume that i didn't consider every possibility of a malfunction.

Oct 2013 my wife and I were riding on route 66 to a motorcycle rally in New Mexico. Rear tire blew out and the bike threw us both. From start to finish, the wreck was 167 yards, we should've died. I don't take chances with life....unless i'm deployed and have some terrorists catch my SCAR-H/M-21 rounds haha....now that's a risk I enjoy everyday.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
You assume too much Brother.
I also removed all the ties that route my cables as was posted on my install as well, including cutting/removing the steel cable guides and I'm fairly happy I have just enough.
MANY of us have done the exact same, some already felt the need to lengthen their cables, a couple even mentioned they had wear but I don't think they removed the steel guides.
I wish you luck, just looking at your pics I see they're tight up top, real tight judging by the direct angle they come out of the housing at which leads to premature wear inside the housing which leads to failure.
It's your bike. really, It's your bike.

We pass on knowledge on this forum so others don't make the mistakes others have made while modding their bikes.
I couldn't care less one way or the other if you like or dislike apes so I really don't understand your immediate defense of them.
It's what you like so do it.
Sheesh.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wouldn't mind a set but at 160.00 they are pretty far back on the to-do list...
I waited awhile before i did anything with the handlebars, awhile i mean 4 months lol. I lucked out because i bought the bike brand new for 8500, its a 14, and they threw in the exhaust, grips, and power commander. Gotta newborn so i have to be sparing with my money. I was going to get klarowes risers but since i saved so much money i went ahead and ordered the bars(255 shipped)/risers(35 shipped).

Just make sure you have a beer or two between mods! Can't wait to see what you do with your stryker

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yeah, they are spendy but built well.
They are a tight perfect fit to extend the mounts and since I'm a bigger guy I want strength on the bars when I pull back hard to adjust my azz in the seat!
I'm trying to alleviate some issues I have with my shoulders which causes my hands to go numb(been a problem for years from bodybuilding/weighlifting) but I'm not 100% sure if bringing the bars up is the trick and I haven't really started researching that yet. I rode a new street bob with the factory bars my hands were numb in like 20 min, of course I was hanging on for dear life as I hadn't ever really ridden before.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You assume too much Brother.
I also removed all the ties that route my cables as was posted on my install as well, including cutting/removing the steel cable guides and I'm fairly happy I have just enough.
MANY of us have done the exact same, some already felt the need to lengthen their cables, a couple even mentioned they had wear but I don't think they removed the steel guides.
I wish you luck, just looking at your pics I see they're tight up top, real tight judging by the direct angle they come out of the housing at which leads to premature wear inside the housing which leads to failure.
It's your bike. really, It's your bike.

We pass on knowledge on this forum so others don't make the mistakes others have made while modding their bikes.
I couldn't care less one way or the other if you like or dislike apes so I really don't understand your immediate defense of them.
It's what you like so do it.
Sheesh.
lol got it, its crazy the difference between reading words off the screen and hearing them, for both of us. Once I get a longer hose then i'll be able to make some readjustments. Like i said, this was just a test and it passed....so far. Thanks for the input and no worries brody! It's all good on my side, i think its all the beer i'm drinking today haha

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I'm trying to alleviate some issues I have with my shoulders which causes my hands to go numb(been a problem for years from bodybuilding/weighlifting) but I'm not 100% sure if bringing the bars up is the trick and I haven't really started researching that yet. I rode a new street bob with the factory bars my hands were numb in like 20 min, of course I was hanging on for dear life as I hadn't ever really ridden before.
I raised mine for the exact same reason and it helped quite a bit.
Getting a seat with a slide-in backrest REALLY helped and getting the Kury ISO grips did the rest.
My hands will only start going numb now after a lot of stressed city riding with a death grip!
The risers will help but not completely alleviate it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Same here, after the wreck my back and arms haven't been the same (got the 8'' bar in my arm to prove it). I needed something to help with the back arch and shoulder pains. It helped alot. I agree with Adrenaline, you can ask almost anyone that have risen their bars, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Getting a seat with a slide-in backrest REALLY helped and getting the Kury ISO grips did the rest.
My hands will only start going numb now after a lot of stressed city riding with a death grip!
Same here, after the wreck my back and arms haven't been the same (got the 8'' bar in my arm to prove it). I needed something to help with the back arch and shoulder pains. It helped alot. I agree with Adrenaline, you can ask almost anyone that have risen their bars, you won't regret it.

Good to know, I'm going to give it a shot with the risers and then go from there. I just received an unbelievable offer from a member(thank you!) on a set of risers...fingers crossed!

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ditto here, but not as bad as others. Left thumb for some reason goes numb after ~30 minutes, all other sensation is just fine.

Anyone out there in TV-land know whether this mod (1.5" or 2") would work with the MS bullet fairing ? I have that thing and love it, but would also like some extra lean back. Finally had time this evening to finish the FC extension, and loving the new position. That would just be icing on the cake.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
No prob at all with the bullet. Actually looks way cooler cause the bars are not tucked so far under. I just couldn't ride with them cause of my long arms. I'm about 6'3 and it just had me leaning way back in the seat. I was all cramped up on the pegs. After about 30 mins on the interstate or city, I was hating life

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been looking for a way to rise my Stryker handlebars since I got it without doing a handlebar replacement and getting new cables.
Solved!
I finally broke down and had the right parts made for me by a machine shop. I got extras and wanted to share this with my fellow Strykers.

Ingredients:

1 Pair of LA Choppers 1.5 inch extensions:

Cruiser Customizing

1 pair of custom made machined standoffs to extend the handlebar mounting stud through the riser extensions and tripple tree. I have 8 left and will sell at cost ($50/pair).

2 Large rubber washers (I got mine from Lowes).

Directions:
(Before starting, bore out the LA Choppers rise extensions to 14mm - be careful as the exterior chrome covering is damaged easily - I damaged one of mine).
When ready;
-Cover tank with thick carpet or cloth.
-Create slack in cables by removing from ring retainers.
-Dis-mount handlebars and lay down on tank.
-Relocate the clutch cable and brake line behind the tripper tree/steering head. Must drain the brake fluid.
  • screw on custom standoffs onto the handlebar mounting studs. Tighten using channel locks or
  • push on LA Choppers riser extensions.
  • push on rubber washers (these create a friction/protection barrier between the riser extensions and the steering head)
  • Carefully (make sure ample cable slack) remount handlebars. I added lock washers on the bottom in between the acorn nuts and the head.
  • Assemble Clutch cable and brake line, fill the brake with fluid and bleed the brakes.
Done!
Ref:
View attachment 31170

I have 8 of the standoff/stud extenders left. They are high - grade steel and perfectly machined to fit"

[/ATTACH]

Contact me via e-mail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes sir i know its been quit a few years since this was made but you wouldn't still have a link to get another set of these inserts so i can install my 2" risers on my '15 stryker.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts