Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1041 - 1060 of 1076 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I finally got to try the Flash today after a long winter of waiting (I had the ECU flashed in the winter Holiday Season). The ride is now much smoother when the engine is asked for Torque and the lugging is all gone! I will not repeat all that's been said, but guys I am so happy about this. I just wanted to add that I can now clearly hear the air sucked in the air box (stock) at each gear shift when I pull hard. This is a side effect I guess, which I think is cool, but I can't explain. Sounds like a performance modified engine.
This is a combination of the air being pulled in and the engine lowering your gas efficiency. It happens when you twist the throttle too hard and too fast. Enjoy the ride. We do. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I'm new to the Stryker game and have been trying to read as much as possible on computers and flashes. I did my own BAK and am putting on a V&H Twin Slash shortly. I am slightly confused about running Ivan's flash and figured I'd ask on here before shooting a call over to him. If that these two are the only engine mods I plan on running can I just get my ecu flashed by Ivan and not need a Power Commander or a EJK fuel controller or something to that nature? It would be nice to 'set it and forget it' with a flash but not sure exactly what is needed. Any insight would be greatlly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The response to that has always been that the flash gets you 95% of the performance and benefits you can expect. If you really want that last 5% you will need a tuner as well. On the Stryker anyway...apparently the Raider doesn't need a tuner now.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
So I'm new to the Stryker game and have been trying to read as much as possible on computers and flashes. I did my own BAK and am putting on a V&H Twin Slash shortly. I am slightly confused about running Ivan's flash and figured I'd ask on here before shooting a call over to him. If that these two are the only engine mods I plan on running can I just get my ecu flashed by Ivan and not need a Power Commander or a EJK fuel controller or something to that nature? It would be nice to 'set it and forget it' with a flash but not sure exactly what is needed. Any insight would be greatlly appreciated! Thanks.
If you're changing both the intake AND the pipes to aftermarket then you will need to get a fuel controller. Either by itself and you'd be fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm putting on the pipes tonight and the BAK is already on the bike. Will run it for a little until I can squeeze in the flash into my budget.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to install my pipes, air intake, and PCV tonight. I have cobra swept, cobra powrflo, and the flash and pcv came from Ivan. Ivan put a note on the pcv saying not to connect the O2 sensor. I'm assuming I still put the o2 sensor from the stock pipes into the swepts? Then just don't connect the cable? I'm guessing that he does something with the ecu flash plus the map on the pcv that would be messed up if the o2 sensor was plugged in? Any insight to people who have done flash/pipes/intake and gotten a pcv with a map from Ivan?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to install my pipes, air intake, and PCV tonight. I have cobra swept, cobra powrflo, and the flash and pcv came from Ivan. Ivan put a note on the pcv saying not to connect the O2 sensor. I'm assuming I still put the o2 sensor from the stock pipes into the swepts? Then just don't connect the cable? I'm guessing that he does something with the ecu flash plus the map on the pcv that would be messed up if the o2 sensor was plugged in? Any insight to people who have done flash/pipes/intake and gotten a pcv with a map from Ivan?

That is correct. Just disconnect the O2 sensor wires and leave it in the exhaust. I got a screw-in plug for the hole from Ivan (I live 30 mins from his shop) so I was able to remove the sensor altogether. Somewhere on forum is the size of the plug you can get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is correct. Just disconnect the O2 sensor wires and leave it in the exhaust. I got a screw-in plug for the hole from Ivan (I live 30 mins from his shop) so I was able to remove the sensor altogether. Somewhere on forum is the size of the plug you can get.

Hey thank you for the swift reply. I truly appreciate it.

One last question if I could please.

I've looked pretty hard for a how to video or write up on the forum on how to install the pcv. I am fine with the pipes and intake, but am having troubles finding info on the pcv install. Any tips on what keywords to search on this forum or YouTube to find something because what I've been typing in just brings up discussion about it, not an actual install instruction.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Here are the instructions from Power Commander: http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/22-042/install/pcv/engI22-042.03.pdf

They are pretty easy to follow. I think I may have watched a couple of videos on youtube of installations on different bikes. I didn't even remove the tank, I just loosened it and raised it up so I could get under there.
+1. I watch a couple of videos so that I knew what I was looking at in the instructions. I had to take the tank off. My fingers are long so I needed the extra space for leverage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I just got my Stryker a week ago and knew practically nothing about motorcycles because this is my first bike. It didn't take much research to figure out who I needed to call. There are a few things I want to clarify before I call him though.

If I want to install a Hypercharger and get my ECU flashed, I have to do that at the same time right?

If I buy and install the Hypercharger, my bike will not run correctly? Or if I get my ECU flashed and re-installed, then buy and install a Hypercharger it won't run correctly?

Also, I won't need a Power Commander if I don't install aftermarket pipes?

I like the looks of the stock ones a lot, and if I modify the baffles it won't need to be flashed or anything?

Thanks very much

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
971 Posts
Hello all, I just got my Stryker a week ago and knew practically nothing about motorcycles because this is my first bike. It didn't take much research to figure out who I needed to call. There are a few things I want to clarify before I call him though.

If I want to install a Hypercharger and get my ECU flashed, I have to do that at the same time right?

If I buy and install the Hypercharger, my bike will not run correctly? Or if I get my ECU flashed and re-installed, then buy and install a Hypercharger it won't run correctly?

Also, I won't need a Power Commander if I don't install aftermarket pipes?

I like the looks of the stock ones a lot, and if I modify the baffles it won't need to be flashed or anything?

Thanks very much

You should do the flash first before anything, IMO. And my reasoning is this, from the factory they have standards (emission that is) that they must meet this is usually accomplished by a very lean settings, and restrictive breathing. When you introduce more fresh air into the motor, unless you increase the fuel usage also you will be having even a leaner mixture which will produce more heat. Will you burn up your motor by putting just a hypercharger on it, I doubt it you may get some popping in the exhaust. There is a way to increase the pulses of the injectors (which richens up the fuel but it doesn't do anything for idle or the first 12% of throttle) so that section will remain leaner, most of us don't stay in that part of the throttle very long so the effects are minimal. There is a thread on here about getting into CO mode it's a good read and isn't hard to do.

Same as if you put aftermarket pipes on they are much less restrictive, and allow the motor to release the mixture better. Do you need a flash to do just this nope.
If you plan to keep the stock pipes and just drill holes no big deal there is still plenty of restriction from the cat and baffles. If you remove baffles your a little more as aftermarket pipes are with just baffles. And you could experience popping on decel also cold mornings popping through intake.

So to sum it up once you get the flash, aside from adding a turbo/ (cam change which there is none at this time) your golden for whatever you decide to do to the motor. No you DON'T need a fuel programmer (Power commander) along with the flash.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
You should do the flash first before anything, IMO. And my reasoning is this, from the factory they have standards (emission that is) that they must meet this is usually accomplished by a very lean settings, and restrictive breathing. When you introduce more fresh air into the motor, unless you increase the fuel usage also you will be having even a leaner mixture which will produce more heat. Will you burn up your motor by putting just a hypercharger on it, I doubt it you may get some popping in the exhaust. There is a way to increase the pulses of the injectors (which richens up the fuel but it doesn't do anything for idle or the first 12% of throttle) so that section will remain leaner, most of us don't stay in that part of the throttle very long so the effects are minimal. There is a thread on here about getting into CO mode it's a good read and isn't hard to do.

Same as if you put aftermarket pipes on they are much less restrictive, and allow the motor to release the mixture better. Do you need a flash to do just this nope.
If you plan to keep the stock pipes and just drill holes no big deal there is still plenty of restriction from the cat and baffles. If you remove baffles your a little more as aftermarket pipes are with just baffles. And you could experience popping on decel also cold mornings popping through intake.

So to sum it up once you get the flash, aside from adding a turbo/ (cam change which there is none at this time) your golden for whatever you decide to do to the motor. No you DON'T need a fuel programmer (Power commander) along with the flash.
Keep in mind our bikes are FI and the ECU will compensate for any additional air coming in(up to a point obviously...)
There are many threads on this debating it back & forth and there are other limitations like the size of the injectors, software programming and the like but until you go to forced air induction I really just don't see anything bad happening if you don't do the flash at the same time.
I do highly recommend the flash though for everything it offers :)
Just my .02 on this common topic.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Keep in mind our bikes are FI and the ECU will compensate for any additional air coming in(up to a point obviously...)
There are many threads on this debating it back & forth and there are other limitations like the size of the injectors, software programming and the like but until you go to forced air induction I really just don't see anything bad happening if you don't do the flash at the same time.
I do highly recommend the flash though for everything it offers :)
Just my .02 on this common topic.
I'm personally still of the opinion that doing the Co mod works just fine to quiet down the pop for a slip-on. The flash is not a necessity, but it is most certainly a nice to have.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Got back from vacation today and found this in the mail!

I'm wondering about the instructions. I have a Cobra Fi2000 tuner, so option #2 is what I should be looking at.

My 02 sensor is disconnected down by the pipes already. Looks like it also has to be disconnected a second time underneath the lower right side panel under the bike (it may be already, I haven't checked). That should be the only thing I need to do before plugging in my ECU? Is that correct, or is there another fuel tuner connection that needs to be disconnected? Why am I finding this a bit confusing :confused:

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
971 Posts
Got back from vacation today and found this in the mail!

I'm wondering about the instructions. I have a Cobra Fi2000 tuner, so option #2 is what I should be looking at.

My 02 sensor is disconnected down by the pipes already. Looks like it also has to be disconnected a second time underneath the lower right side panel under the bike (it may be already, I haven't checked). That should be the only thing I need to do before plugging in my ECU? Is that correct, or is there another fuel tuner connection that needs to be disconnected? Why am I finding this a bit confusing :confused:

Yes, disconnect the 02 sensor. Check TPS voltage if within spec then no adjustment needed. Plug and play!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes, disconnect the 02 sensor. Check TPS voltage if within spec then no adjustment needed. Plug and play!!
Without digging into the long flash thread again, IIRC Ivan stated somewhere that the TPS adjustment was only necessary if you were running the PCV. I could be wrong but I never adjusted mine.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ok, thanks! Plug and play it is. Now it just needs to stop pouring outside. (although the only thing I know TPS stands for is "Tire Pressure Sensor", and I'm guessing that's not it!)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
TPS in this case is Throttle Position Sensor
It's located right behind your air cleaner. You can easily access it from there.
Not sure if the TPS setting is important with the Cobra Fi2000. It would mainly be important for the Power Commander to ensure that fuel is being added to the right cell position based on the flash provided by Ivan to go with the unit. This would be from his dyno run that gave him the map.

1041 - 1060 of 1076 Posts