Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I am new to the forum. I have been reading lots of good stuff here... I just bought a 2011 Stryker. One of my changes is adding the V and H slash cut exhaust. I did the resistor mod to the negative lead on the 02 sensor. The bike is still lean when coming off of closed throttle. I spoke with a Yamaha tech and he gave me just enough info on how to adjust the ECU in the co mode to peak my interest. He indicated that there is no need to add a fuel controller to richen up the mixture. Says I can do it myself by getting into the CO mode and just changing the settings.

Any Help?? Has anyone done this on a stryker??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen the info on IVANS ecu flash... I want make the adjustments to the ecu on my own first. The adjustments I'm referring to can be done through the factory settings. The mixture can be richened up while in closed loop mode. Which is about the first 25% of the throttle position. What I'm looking for is the specific procedure to do this on a stryker. I find specifics on other bikes, but not the stryker. The yamaha dealers all have the info on the procedure but won't share the specifics...

Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone!!
IVANS flash sounds great.
I could also do a fuel pac...
But this adjustment is free and I am told that it will solve my issue??? Why not??

I appreciate any feedback. .. thanks.

·
Administrator
4,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Highlands, TX
I have not heard of anybody doing this themselves. Wouldn't you need some special connector to access the programming and some software? Why not try disconnecting the O2 sensor so you dont have the EPA fuel mixture restrictions?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I remember ppl talking about doing this along time ago. If I remember right, they crapped out their bikes and they ran like dog squeeze. No need to reinvent the wheel my brother but if it's something you wanna try, best of luck

·
Registered
906 Posts
It's probably something like this: (this is not the directions for our stryker....but you probably have to short or resist some of the ECU prongs to get into program mode, I don't think many know how to do it on our ECU's yet other than IVAN who's probably doing close to the same type of procedure or using a computer/flash or BOTH).

http://fjr1300.info/howto/jumper.html

http://fjr1300.info/howto/co_adjustment.html

And I wouldn't recommend it unless you know exactly what you're doing AFTER getting the correct programming instructions. IMO Just get a tuner and save yourself some time and money in the long run or go with Ivan's mod as he seems to have a ton of experience in making this work correctly for quite a few different makes and models.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have seen the info on IVANS ecu flash... I want make the adjustments to the ecu on my own first. The adjustments I'm referring to can be done through the factory settings. The mixture can be richened up while in closed loop mode. Which is about the first 25% of the throttle position. What I'm looking for is the specific procedure to do this on a stryker. I find specifics on other bikes, but not the stryker. The yamaha dealers all have the info on the procedure but won't share the specifics...

Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone!!
IVANS flash sounds great.
I could also do a fuel pac...
But this adjustment is free and I am told that it will solve my issue??? Why not??

I appreciate any feedback. .. thanks.
closed loop mode is 0-20% throttle and 0-3000 RPM. That's the area Dynojet uses default values on because it's driven by the O2 and ECU.

I guess there's always the first guy that does something. Good luck with it and your search for information on doing it. I haven't read anywhere that that it's been done on a Stryker.
Why didn't the guy just do the adjustments for you if it's that easy to do? Maybe head back there and offer him a few dollars to do it for you on the side or show you how.

·
8,693 Posts
If you F^^k up your ECU messing with it- Ivan's Flash would have been quicker and less expensive. Just my .02.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys I appreciate the input so far. I am still gathering more info on this... I will post more on what I find. I have spoken to one yamaha tech and an independent shop that both told me about the procedure.
Unfortunately they were both out of state from me. They did not give me specifics, just a general idea of the procedure. I will figure it out...

Gary

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was also thinking there's a way to do this DIY.. it does take away business from ones that do it for a living though. "trade secret"... I would think Yamaha uses the same code for all their bikes, maybe not necessarily the same connection outputs, but the same language.. I'm no pro in this subject though, ask me about a carb though.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Well guys I appreciate the input so far. I am still gathering more info on this... I will post more on what I find. I have spoken to one yamaha tech and an independent shop that both told me about the procedure.
Unfortunately they were both out of state from me. They did not give me specifics, just a general idea of the procedure. I will figure it out...

Gary
If you find a way to get the bike into programing mode let us all know. I'd be interested in doing it myself for a slipon I have...There is probably 10 ways to Sunday to get the ECU into that mode so it would be nice to have someone with the know how to just tell us how that is.

I've heard of jumping out connectors in the headlight, some in the tail light, and others directly at the ECU harness....too much tinkering for me to want to risk my ECU on...if there is a surefire way that someone knows how to do it, I'd be interested to get rid of the decel pops on closed circuit.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If you find a way to get the bike into programing mode let us all know. I'd be interested in doing it myself for a slipon I have...There is probably 10 ways to Sunday to get the ECU into that mode so it would be nice to have someone with the know how to just tell us how that is.

I've heard of jumping out connectors in the headlight, some in the tail light, and others directly at the ECU harness....too much tinkering for me to want to risk my ECU on...if there is a surefire way that someone knows how to do it, I'd be interested to get rid of the decel pops on closed circuit.
Before you get started you should check to see how much a new ECU costs compared to Ivan's Flash.....If it is so easy to do then why hasn't everybody heard how to do it.......no body on the Raider forum has done it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the link. this is exactly what I am looking to do... Today I spoke more with the Yamaha tech and he provided me with the specifics I need. I will give it a try in the next couple of days... Again he commented and said why piggy back a programmer with the stock ecu when Yamaha provides the ability to make the adjustments needed. Now it should be a matter of Playing with the adjustments to find the optimal settings...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Before you get started you should check to see how much a new ECU costs compared to Ivan's Flash.....If it is so easy to do then why hasn't everybody heard how to do it.......no body on the Raider forum has done it.
I'd bet it is easy, just like almost every other yamaha bike out there. I'd surmise most folks don't even know that it can be done which is why they haven't done it.

They've been doing this on the FJR 1300, roadliners and stratoliners since early 2005. In fact in other countries outside of the good old USA most of the bikes come with the CO unlocked so you don't need to take it to the dealer to be charged 3 hours of labor to change the CO.

http://m.delphiforums.com/starroadliner/messages/9909/1

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I'd bet it is easy, just like almost every other yamaha bike out there. I'd surmise most folks don't even know that it can be done which is why they haven't done it.

They've been doing this on the FJR 1300, roadliners and stratoliners since early 2005. In fact in other countries outside of the good old USA most of the bikes come with the CO unlocked so you don't need to take it to the dealer to be charged 3 hours of labor to change the CO.

http://m.delphiforums.com/starroadliner/messages/9909/1

I love what Ivan did but don't get me wrong as too how easy it is to do. As an IT professional, if you know the coding language it is easy assuming you know what the parameters should be.

That said, the ability to know those, have access to a dyno to test them, insurance etc. makes the choice to go with Ivan easy and a no-brainer :)

Could I do it... Maybe. Would I fry a few bikes in the process... probably!!
It isn't rocket science but it also isn't common knowledge... I'd proceed with caution :)

1 - 20 of 158 Posts