Yamaha Star Stryker banner

First oil change

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  mikoloe 
#1 ·
Ok, just did my first oil change on my stryker - man, that was MUCH easier than doing the job on my V Star. Word of advice - to those who don't have a lift or a stand....hope this isn't too technical for the layman. To level the bike while pulling the drain plug and allowing it to drain all out, an old dog house 2by4 and a broken brick are the perfect height under the kickstand for a stock setup.

Hope that helps. :)

#4 ·
Wyntress said:
Are y'all using regular oil for your change?? I started with full synth and will continue to use it. Figured may as well protect my bike from the get go. Noticed a difference in my 90 Camry when I switched it over.
This next maintenance on her it's gonna be my first one, but I've been using full synthetic on all my vehicles, (except my wife's) lol and that's what I plan on using for my horse..

#5 ·
99saleen87 said:
Wyntress said:
Are y'all using regular oil for your change?? I started with full synth and will continue to use it. Figured may as well protect my bike from the get go. Noticed a difference in my 90 Camry when I switched it over.
This next maintenance on her it's gonna be my first one, but I've been using full synthetic on all my vehicles, (except my wife's) lol and that's what I plan on using for my horse..
Cool!!! At least I am not the only one!!! :)

#6 ·
I have already had my first oil change(done at dealer). I'm thinking I might want to use fresh oil in the spring. Is there anything special that needs to be done to change over to synthetic? I don't have a jack either but have been considering one. Since the most maintenance I ever plan on doing is my own oil changes Is there enough clearance to drain the oil and get to the filter easily using that very technical brick & 2x4 leveling device?

#7 ·
Hivoltage said:
I have already had my first oil change(done at dealer). I'm thinking I might want to use fresh oil in the spring. Is there anything special that needs to be done to change over to synthetic? I don't have a jack either but have been considering one. Since the most maintenance I ever plan on doing is my own oil changes Is there enough clearance to drain the oil and get to the filter easily using that very technical brick & 2x4 leveling device?
No, nothing special needs to be done. Just your standard steps, new oil, new filter. Your oil changes should now increase to 6k miles instead of 3k in the past. It balances out, fewer oil changes, but a little more expensive to use the full synth.

#9 ·
Local dealer told me not to use synthetic oil until i had 3000 miles on it. I was unsure of this so i contacted a dealer a half hour away and asked bout using synthetic, to my surprise i was told the same thing by both dealers. I was told it had to do with the ceramic composite cylinders in the bike. Not sure if it's just the dealers opinion or not.

#10 ·
Mikey76 said:
Local dealer told me not to use synthetic oil until i had 3000 miles on it. I was unsure of this so i contacted a dealer a half hour away and asked bout using synthetic, to my surprise i was told the same thing by both dealers. I was told it had to do with the ceramic composite cylinders in the bike. Not sure if it's just the dealers opinion or not.
That is correct- The rings need to seat to the cylinders with conventional oil and then Synthetic is safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.