Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my left fork is leaking oil. I searched this forum for how much it cost to repair(my motorcycle shop said it would cost me $310 for labor but don't know for parts), and looked at the manual on how often it needs to be done. My question is this. Will I have to replace the entire fork because of the leak, or just the seals? Hope this question doesn't seem to dumb.

·
Registered
665 Posts
just have the seals replaced, good as new.
Some points to know;
take off fork and take to shop, save $ $ $
keep the fork clean above the seal to help them last longer.
Shop around for pricing and good luck

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
No guarantee but look up online for ways to clean the fork/seals of debris that might be causing the leak. There are many methods but some actually have a tool.
Sometimes all you have is a foreign object lodged in the seal and using these methods you free it and stop the leak. IMO, worth the effort since pennies to the dollar...

If they need to be done then, yes, removing and reinstalling yourself is a $$ saver but make sure the shop does the full job. I think Toby posted a while back about his shop cutting corners and then leaking again :(

Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. Will definitely see about looking up ways to clean it, but sadly don't know if I can take off the fork safely due to not having a motorcycle jack.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
One of the ways you'll probably come across will be from "old school" days. Using a negative strip from film. Sliding that down the fork until you are able to get it past the seal. You have to do this carefully so you don't damage the fork seal more, or rip the negative strip. Once you have it past the seal, you slowly work it around the circumference of the fork tube up and down.
What they say this will do is clean out any possible dust or debris that may be causing the leak. This won't fix a worn seal. If your seals are leaking, it's worth a shot. I would guess you could use anything that is a thin and flexible as the negative. You just don't want to have it tear off inside the fork tube. If you do, you'll be removing and replacing the seal for sure.
Seems like a few on here have had to change the seals on their bikes already. I'm going to guess that your seals are just worn as well. But this might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine leaked again and again after taking it to dealer. They ended up ordering a new left for me that took 2 weeks from Japan. I live on a dirt road and ride her like a sports bike. Dealer told me there where scuffs on the inside of forks. It was 279 for new one and install was 210. I considered gators but not sure if like look..... So clean it regularly for looks and prevention hopefully... 32000 miles approx.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just had to replace my fork seals. It cost me about $80 in parts and $170 in labor. Shop around, other shops were asking closer to $400. Mine had lost a lot of oil and it needed to be replaced. I haven't had to spend much money on the bike other than oil and tires so I think after 3 years that is not too bad. Just over 25,000 miles when it started leaking.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
How hard is it to rebuild the Stryker's fork? I have rebuild a Honda fork before and if I remember correctly I had a harder time removing the rear tire of the Stryker than rebuilding the fork of the Honda.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts