Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Front Tire

10K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Hotsocket 
#1 ·
I know there has been a lot of discussion on rear tires on here, but I haven't seen a whole lot regarding front tires. I dropped my bike off for an annual service and check-up last night, and they told me this morning that my front tire is about ready to be replaced. I'm at about 12,000 miles.

My questions:

For those of you who have already replaced their front tire, how many miles did you get out of the stock tire?

What tire did you replace it with and why? - Or should I put on the same thing that I have on the rear?

What is a good price to pay for a front tire?

Thanks!

On a side note, I rode a loaner Raider home last night... I just might have to trade up to one of those in the next year or two. :D

#4 ·
I replaced my front tire when I went with the PM wheels and 250 Avon. Put on an Avon Cobra front also. Don't remember price. Only had 2400 miles or so with lots of tread left. Sold it along with my stock wheels.

#5 ·
I have a little over 18,000 on my stock front tire and she's about ready for replacement. I'm considering the Avon Cobra and the Michelin Commander II. I've been very pleased with my Avon 240 rear. Any thoughts or suggestions on font tires?

#8 · (Edited)
Hey Bud, I have the Avon front and not impressed with it. Feels like it wants to slip out on me in sharp turns. Never has, but gives me a funny feeling. I liked the stock tire better. My next front will most likely be a Michelin or back to bridgestone.

#11 ·
I decided to stick with the OE Bridgestone. I've gotten over 18K out of the original one so I figured if it aint broke don't fix it. I can get it from my local dealer for $139 + tax...that's cheaper than what I can get the Michelin or Avon for locally.

#12 ·
Good choice. I never had a problem with the handling or grip of the stocker. Like you said- 18000 miles and don't fix what aint broke.

#14 ·
I replaced the rear at 3000 to go with a 240, the front has 11k + and needs to be replaced so I ordered a Avon which will be put on this week. I know 11 said he didn't like it but just like any young kid I have to find out for myself ;)

#18 ·
i have the michelin c2 240 on the rear and the stock one on the front handels great i need to replace the front staying with the stock can't go wrong with what has worked all along.

#21 ·
Dayum. I just bought an Avon front tire a couple weeks ago. Replaced my stock bridg at 9k with a Metz which has been a great tire. Now I'm squeezing the last few miles outta the Metz - hoping to get 10k or maybe a little more...

Had I known this I probably woulda sprung for another Metz. I only pick the Avon for its price.

I will see how it goes and post my thoughts down the road.

#23 ·
Ive noticed this sliding feeling with my front avon as well. I was trying to figure why ive been nervous going into hard corners. Now that ive read other having this issue it makes so much sense. Its not a big slide but just enough to make me nervous going into a turn. I been wondering why i have been apprehensive about laying it over like i used to..

#25 ·
I put 7K on my Michelin CII (before I sold the bike :( ) and I loved it! I can't say that I ever noticed a difference between that and the OE as far as control, but I do think it was wearing a lot better. The guy I sold it to is a friend of mine, so I'll make sure and find out how many mile are on the bike when he replaces it.

#26 ·
Got the Avon mounted yesterday. All the tread on the Metz was gone from sight. I had thought it was gonna vary some from the Metz but it is pretty much the same. 1/2" taller than the bald Metz but the Avon's got tread. Both were 4.5" wide.

I will report more when I get to ride it some. Right now I have the front end all ripped apart to put gaiters on, move the ignition, rearrange the turn signals and install new headlight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.