Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is the fun. Note: when bike was jumped, vehicle was off.

Moved to Washington and got a new battery. Was supposedly charged when purchased but said they recommended charging. I installed and bike cranked happy guy. Started bike occasional ran around apt and parked.

Last week, went for first ride. Friday night I had to jump the bike, went for a ride, restarted bike again went got home.

Saturday morning, start up, ride 20 miles, power down for some fuel, crank up go across the street, stop the motor. I am asked to start back up and pull somewhere else, go to start, bike has a try to start and I let off start and then again and click.

Tried to jump bike again with another bike, just click. Checked all fuses and were good. Push started bike ride home.

Went and go charger and put in on new honda charger for couple days and all is good.

Installed battery today all fuses are good and just the same click from the starter relay? Is it bad? Help! :)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Depending on the charger(some tenders won't actually charge etc. a deep discharged battery) a bad battery can fool it to say charged when it might have a dead cell etc. Go on internet to find articles/videos and take readings with ignition off, on, cranking and started. Granted in your case you cannot do all. Compare those against norms in internet articles to see if battery is bad and/or charging system is bad.

To see if just the relay you can jump start the starter directly AFTER you confirm 100% by physically moving bike that bike is in neutral. If battery tested good above and starter spins/starts the motor than probably the relay but also make sure once bike is running that charging voltage is at specified levels. And use the battery's 12V+ to jump the starter not another battery since you want to see if the bike's battery has enough juice.

Assume nothing and test everything but go for the obvious low hanging fruit first. You could have a vampire draw from a simple usb charger plugged in all the time or a recent(or non-recent mod) could be draining the battery. Those take a little more time to determine but do the main tests above to rule out the obvious. Batteries store power, charging systems create it and everything else uses it. Take your time, be methodical and don't jump to conclusions. Oh, and download the service manual from our site. It isn't always perfect but it can help a lot!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Since you said that you did jump the battery with a running bike and all it do is click I think there is a problem with the starter. Again I could be wrong but if you have a driveway the goes down hill, turn on the bike, put it in 2nd or 1st gear, hold the clutch, and try to coast the bike down, it does not have to be fast just enough to get the bike moving forward then click the starter when you hear it click, let go of the clutch if the bike launch forward a little then starter is good if not bad starter.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Even though the battery is supposed to be charged from the store they are never really fully charged so get a good charger and charge that this DEEP for about a day at 10 amps.

Here is how to find out what you're running on the bike that is a parasitic draw when the bike is off and just sitting...
Disconnect all the wires from the ground side of your battery and clip a good test light to the ground terminal on the batt.
set the wire ends aside so they don't touch the battery.
One by one, touch the other end of the test light to each wire that you hook up to that terminal when your battery is fully installed.
One or more of those wires will light the test light and there is your draw.
My autotuner will initially light the test light but will go out after a second.
My light comes on and stays on when I touch the lead to the ground wire for my USB charger.
I just have to live with the fact that if I want to have my USB charger attached directly to the battery then I need to plug the battery to a tender when I'm not riding it.
I have a LED module hooked up so my flashers work correctly, I have a Speedo healer hooked up, I have the USB port hooked up AND I have the autotuner all hooked directly to the battery.
It's better to wire most of these into power that only comes on AFTER you turn the ignition on but I was lazy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, went out of town and will deep charge the battery and ensure we haave a charged battery and replace if necessary. I appreciate the input as ibhad read some reviews that were similar!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got home tonight and after some research I have discovered a code: 12 crankshaft position sensor.

Anyone ever seen this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Error code 12 gone, new battery, just a click. Battery I would assume good. Will look to possivly jump the starter tomorrow to ensure it is the starter relay.

All fuses checked good, all replaced anyway.

Any advice on jumping starter? Trailer to shop? haha.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I still think it's the starter when you jump it and it didnt crank, look at the headlight if it dims and does not crank bad starter if it just click and the headlight does not dim its probably the relay.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Error code 12 gone, new battery, just a click. Battery I would assume good. Will look to possivly jump the starter tomorrow to ensure it is the starter relay.

All fuses checked good, all replaced anyway.

Any advice on jumping starter? Trailer to shop? haha.
I'd use the troubleshooting guide page 8-109 give the proper way to jump starter, and also how the check it's operation.

·
8,693 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ok then let me rephrase that

I still think it's the starter when you jump it and it didnt crank, look at the park lights and tail lights if it dims and does not crank bad starter if it just click and the "park lights and tail lights" does not dim its probably the relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW, this is jreed. Fluke tester states solid 12v on the battery.

Turning on ignition, f.i. system primes, voltage remains constant with blinkers, brakers, neutral on in neutral.

Meter still on batter hit start, get click from starter relay. 12v constant on battery.

voltage on starting relay 12v regardless if start pressed or not on positive lead of relay.

No power to the black lead the starter relay when pressing start. Nor is there when not depressing start. Obviously no power down to starter.

Ordering/locating a starter relay.

All fuses good.

Sorry, first issue out of the bike and I blame myself. Do not buy a cheap battery!!! It definitely loved Texas more than cold and rainy winter Washington! :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts