Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've looked all over but cannot find an answer to what's happening.

So yesterday while riding home from work I noticed that the bike makes a grinding sound seems to be coming from the right lower side between idle and juuuust above idle. Almost sounds like a heat shield rattling at a certain vibration but it's not that. Sounds more internal. I will post a video below so you guys can hear what's going on. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in It's relative to engine RPM.

Any ideas what this could be?

Here is the video.

·
Super Moderator
893 Posts
Although it doesn't sound like a vibration, it could be. I had some weird rpm related vibes coming from the front end after losing one of the bolts that held the radiator guard on at one point. First thing I would suggest is to get a few wrenches and allen keys and just go around and see if any bolts need snugging up (don't overtorque).

The other thing I have come to accept over many years with many bikes is that 'weird' sounds that come and go are normal. Remember we have no sound shields around our motors, unlike a truck or car. I suspect the random engine rattles on a truck must be remarkable, I just don't hear them and pay no notice.

If you have the attitude that you just keep riding (and put in earplugs!) the bike will keep taking you where you want to go. If something is seriously wrong (very rare on these bikes) it will become more evident with time and the source will clear up.

Sometimes people will do the old screwdriver method... take a long shank screwdriver, push it against some area and press your ear on the other end. By moving it around you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

Hope that helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts