Yamaha Star Stryker banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 stryker
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this 2012 stryker. I'm looking at the headlight and thinking aftermarket. Can someone verify that ? .. doesn't look like it would interfere with any windscreen if I want to add one . ... also, part two question, looks like the radiator is a little rusty / grimly. What can I use to clean it off ?? Thanks in advance.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
893 Posts
Hey welcome here! Definitely an aftermarket headlight. Looks like one of the Amazon LED ones, but someone else here may have a better idea. Maybe post a close up of the light from head on?

I would try something like CLR on the rad. Spray it on and let it sit and then make sure you rinse very well. Once done, spray it with ACF-50 as it's the best rust prevention around.

I bought a sheet of aluminum with small holes in it at Home Depot, cut it to size with tin snips, and mounted it between the plastic fin guard and the rad with zip ties. That was because I kept getting rocks dinging the rad. I painted the aluminum sheet black and it totally blacked out my rad. You could try something like that as well.

·
Registered
2012 stryker
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey welcome here! Definitely an aftermarket headlight. Looks like one of the Amazon LED ones, but someone else here may have a better idea. Maybe post a close up of the light from head on?

I would try something like CLR on the rad. Spray it on and let it sit and then make sure you rinse very well. Once done, spray it with ACF-50 as it's the best rust prevention around.

I bought a sheet of aluminum with small holes in it at Home Depot, cut it to size with tin snips, and mounted it between the plastic fin guard and the rad with zip ties. That was because I kept getting rocks dinging the rad. I painted the aluminum sheet black and it totally blacked out my rad. You could try something like that as well.
Thanks man. As I type this I'm at a rest area in North Carolina to pick up my stryker.
It's 4: 30 am and I been driving since 830 pm last night 😆. I will take your advice on the clr. I actually thought about that stuff but didn't know if it would work. I also thought that maybe a/c coil cleaner might work. . Since I haven't picked up the bike yet I can't take better pictures of the headlight. Will inspect it though. There may be a brand name on it .... like CHINA 😆 🤣 😂.. this again.

·
Super Moderator
893 Posts
That's exciting times, man! Nothing like picking up a new-to-you bike. There are very few issues with this machine, it's a great ride on the road, and this forum will help ya with whatever questions you might have.

I would suggest changing the oil, air filter and check the brake pads. The bike always runs better with fresh blood. All of these changes are very easy to do yourself on this bike. That way you know when the fluids were changed, and you never have to guess the next oil change.

·
Registered
2012 stryker
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exciting times, man! Nothing like picking up a new-to-you bike. There are very few issues with this machine, it's a great ride on the road, and this forum will help ya with whatever questions you might have.

I would suggest changing the oil, air filter and check the brake pads. The bike always runs better with fresh blood. All of these changes are very easy to do yourself on this bike. That way you know when the fluids were changed, and you never have to guess the next oil change.
You sound like me. 😎. Always do the oil first thing. Never know. I run full synthetic Mobil 1 . (10 w 40 ) .. just got her home yesterday late afternoon. She is so much faster than the vrods I had. I think there may be a fuel pak added cuz I know for sure that I have the cobra power air intake kit and the V/ H full exhaust.. whoever had this stryker before me spent a ton on it ... my luck !! Only thing so far is that the wire attached to the license plate lighting is cut . I don't ride much at night anyway but it's something I gotta get fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts