Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 stryker
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding fork lights and new led fronts. I saw the awesome write up on changing the relay. Sounded easy enough, got it all done per instructions and still hyper flashing? Changed terminals ( and a few fuses :)) nothing. So I changed the relay and did the same again. I'm still hyperflashing! Am I missing something? Again, its a 2012 and I am trying to avoid resistors, as I don't want to have to hide 4 of those "hotboxes"
Amy advice would be awesome guys!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Cannot say 100% but I seem to recall something about when you have 2 sets of leds etc. Been a long time and I just changed the front and rears to leds but 1 set for each. Some thoughts and Captain Obvious statements:
  • Make sure the relay you have is for LED/constant load etc. Could be you just got a regular relay...
  • Make sure you replaced the correct relay. Unplug your replacement relay and see if the lights still flash. If so you grabbed the wrong relay.
  • Depending how hard to unhook I'd do 1 of the following first and then the other second:
- Get another relay and try again if turns are all soldered together etc. Relay probably won't be returnable(electric stuff usually isn't) but if like $10 this is an easy test.
- Check all wiring and try removing 1 set of the front leds. Like I said, I have a distant/foggy memory of someone posting and issue with the duals.

Hopefully someone with more direct experience to your issue will post.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
860 Posts
I have LED turns front and rear, had the hyper flash but got the adjustable digital flasher did a quick rewire and solved the issue. This is what I used.

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
860 Posts
Give me a few minutes, I have pics somewhere.

·
Registered
2012 stryker
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cannot say 100% but I seem to recall something about when you have 2 sets of leds etc. Been a long time and I just changed the front and rears to leds but 1 set for each. Some thoughts and Captain Obvious statements:
  • Make sure the relay you have is for LED/constant load etc. Could be you just got a regular relay...
  • Make sure you replaced the correct relay. Unplug your replacement relay and see if the lights still flash. If so you grabbed the wrong relay.
  • Depending how hard to unhook I'd do 1 of the following first and then the other second:
- Get another relay and try again if turns are all soldered together etc. Relay probably won't be returnable(electric stuff usually isn't) but if like $10 this is an easy test.
- Check all wiring and try removing 1 set of the front leds. Like I said, I have a distant/foggy memory of someone posting and issue with the duals.

So i have tried 2 relays. I did disconnect 1 set of fronts and tried alternating the front legs that I hooked up too by chance 1 set was faulty. The ep34 relay should be a constant, led type... now you see the dilemma?? Thanks for the advice and trying though!
I am adding fork lights and new led fronts. I saw the awesome write up on changing the relay. Sounded easy enough, got it all done per instructions and still hyper flashing? Changed terminals ( and a few fuses :)) nothing. So I changed the relay and did the same again. I'm still hyperflashing! Am I missing something? Again, its a 2012 and I am trying to avoid resistors, as I don't want to have to hide 4 of those "hotboxes"
So maybe an update... i did some research and found that the NAPA ep34 has 2 versions. They are no longer made by Tridon so there's an ep34 and ep34L. I have the ep 34 and it looks like the the L stands for... led! I hope thats right. So I am heading to go buy that or my understanding is the Novita brand ep34 works with led as well ( advance. Autozone and oreilly). Ill update when I'm done. But thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2012 stryker
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So i have tried 2 relays. I did disconnect 1 set of fronts and tried alternating the front legs that I hooked up too by chance 1 set was faulty. The ep34 relay should be a constant, led type... now you see the dilemma?? Thanks for the advice and trying though!
So it finally worked!! I guess a good piece of advice to grab from This is that brand could matter! I ended up buying an ep34 relay from AZ ( I hate that place!) But it specifically states it works for led lights as well. The napa ep34 will not work unless you buy the ep34L! Thanks again all!!

·
Registered
‘13 Stryker
860 Posts
Cool!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts