Yamaha Star Stryker banner

Hi from Durban South Africa

2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  mkohnen 
#1 ·
Hi I am an old biker with a new Stryker. Have been biking for 46+ years. Never ridden off road always been a sport road biker. Last year for I decided to sell my BMW K1200 RS because the wife had sort of retired from riding and decided to buy a small cruiser. At the time I was also riding a Suzuki GSX R750 K9 and a Burgman 650 Exec K9 so i ended up buying a M50 Boulevard. Was worried if I would adapt and enjoy the style and what an experience it was learning to ride a cruiser for the first time in my life. Yep after a while the 800 started to feel a bit low on power and I was lokking around again. Suzuki here only have the M50 and the M109. The M109 just felt too big and heavy for me, I'm 5'6" with very short legs and knocking on the door of 60. Then I saw the local launch of the Stryker and I was hooked. The last Yamaha I had was an XJ900 back in the eighties and I loved it so off I went to Yamaha. The demo was the blue one, I sat on it a while and dreamed about being out there cruising because it was standing in the middle of a whole pack of bikes and too much trouble to move them all to go for a ride.

First impression was I had less foot down than on the M50. Although the seat is lower being wider had that effect but still ok for me. They had no stock and were expecting the next shipment so I ordered one. I was a bit dissapointed when the dude said there were only red bikes in this shipment, I liked the blue. When I went to collect it, wow the red and black is really nice so now I'm happy. The bike is a little bit longer with the extended front than the M50 which I realised when I stopped in my normal spot to open the gate and ended up giving the gate a nice thump. So far I'm enjoying the bike very much, just got to 1000 km so it's going in today for the service. I have fitted my small screen, drilled the pipes and ordered the sissy bar, cushion, and rack and floorboards which should arrive in the next week or two. Regards from RSA. Bryan.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.