Yamaha Star Stryker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I looked around how to drain the fuel tank, found a lot of threads talking about it, but actually none describing how to do it!

My stryker was stored for 2 years with a full tank. No way this fuel is still good.

How should I proceed?

I am planning about doing a full maintenance, but looking for the easiest way to get rid of all that fuel.

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
970 Posts
Draining the tank isn't hard but there will still be about a quart left in the pump housing area. Each winter season I add seafoam to my tank, while that isn't two years, I'd still recommend doing that to the empty tank before you refill it so it will stabilize the left over fuel.

To drain the tank I grab a towel an drape it over the rear cylinder head and also cover the crankcase (to catch spillage) close the petcock(shutoff valve)-located on the left side- remove the hose from the petcock , attach a 2' long piece of fuel line to the petcock and place the other end in a 5 gal gas container. open the petcock , I also remove the gas cap but not necessary. a full tank takes about 5-7 minutes to drain. once flow from end of tubing stops, close petcock remove 2' piece of fuel line, reconnect original fuel line, turn petcock on(very important or you will run out and risk air lock in about 8-12 miles and could hurt the pump as gas is what cools it. Refill with fuel- put on miles!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Draining the tank isn't hard but there will still be about a quart left in the pump housing area. Each winter season I add seafoam to my tank, while that isn't two years, I'd still recommend doing that to the empty tank before you refill it so it will stabilize the left over fuel.

To drain the tank I grab a towel an drape it over the rear cylinder head and also cover the crankcase (to catch spillage) close the petcock(shutoff valve)-located on the left side- remove the hose from the petcock , attach a 2' long piece of fuel line to the petcock and place the other end in a 5 gal gas container. open the petcock , I also remove the gas cap but not necessary. a full tank takes about 5-7 minutes to drain. once flow from end of tubing stops, close petcock remove 2' piece of fuel line, reconnect original fuel line, turn petcock on(very important or you will run out and risk air lock in about 8-12 miles and could hurt the pump as gas is what cools it. Refill with fuel- put on miles!
Hey thanks man! Very useful info!

Any tricks how I could drain the pump housing as well?

·
Super Moderator
‘13 Stryker
970 Posts
I've never tried that I'm sure there is a way , I just don't know it .

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Not 100% sure but if you tilt or remove the main tank you'd have access to the injectors and could pull the lines off(seem to recall blue clips holding them on). The part I don't know is if the pump would run when you turn the ignition switch on(trying to prime things) or if you'd have to crank the motor or jump some connections to make the pump run.
Not sure if it is worth all the effort and the above method(s) would eventually run the pump dry and if just cranking the motor you'd have to do it in spurts since you don't want to overheat the starter etc.

I'd probably go with new gas in the main tank with an additive like Seafoam etc.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out!

·
Registered
1 Posts

We need a video of this

1 - 7 of 7 Posts